Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Moving to US with my American wife

Moving to US with my American wife

Old Jul 1st 2015, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moving to US with my American wife

Spanknap

1. Yes only you need attend the interview in London.

2. Unsure what it's like now but back in 2005 USCIS only reported processing times for application paperwork, not US Embassy interview dates, and I don't think the Dept of State or individual embassies report that information, at that time (and yes bearing in mind caveat emptor as rpjs said earlier) I relied on the self-reported processing times posted by similar UK filers to me in the relevant VisaJourney discussion forum.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dewey
I relied on the self-reported processing times posted by similar UK filers to me in the relevant VisaJourney discussion forum.

We've had an ongoing DCF timeline thread since July, 2012.

Spanknap - DCF is the process you're doing. On our forum it means "Direct Consular Filing"... when the USC spouse files the I-130 directly to London.

Ian
Old Jul 1st 2015, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
We've had an ongoing DCF timeline thread since July, 2012.
Great, I found this type of timeline thread really useful and it will help the OP.
Old Jul 1st 2015, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have not seen it mentioned on this thread but here is a reminder that, since your wife only has ILR, if you are out of the UK for 2 years or more her ILR is liable to lapse - unless you have very strong ties to the UK.

Others who have applied for the Returning Resident visa have been refused.

Should you then want to return to the UK you will have to go through the immigration process all over again; and there have been additional requirements introduced since 2012.

If your wife can get her British citizenship before she leaves for the US then she should.
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 2:43 pm
Account Closed

Spanknap is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys, again thank you so much... this thread has saved my sanity.

Is there a way of paying for priority in this process, to expedite it faster? speed is more important than the cost in this instance.

Nick
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 2:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spanknap
Hi guys, again thank you so much... this thread has saved my sanity.

Is there a way of paying for priority in this process, to expedite it faster? speed is more important than the cost in this instance.

Nick
Nope.
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 2:49 pm
Account Closed

Spanknap is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh well, worth a shot
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 6:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spanknap
Is there a way of paying for priority in this process, to expedite it faster?
The DCF route is the fastest method.

Ian
Old Jul 4th 2015, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

sparkleandglitter is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi - I'm also applying to go to the US. I started at the end of January, I have my interview appointment in mid-July.
I'm going to echo to other people and HIGHLY RECOMMEND that your wife gets British citizenship before she leaves. It takes up to six months but my USC spouse got his in about three months (and that was with all the hold up due to the passport issuing crisis last year.) (https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-britis...ritish-citizen) You do not have to wait a year after getting ILR if you are married to a British citizen.

The coalition government is getting very strict and if it doesn't work out in the US, you want to make sure that you can return to the UK easily - if she leaves, she loses her ILR and you will have to apply for it again - it appears that there is now a process for that - the returning resident visa (https://www.gov.uk/returning-resident-visa) however, if you want to not have to go through something like this again, get your wife to apply and obtain her citizenship before she leaves (FYI she can get her passport after leaving the UK but it will cost more).

Our lives are becoming more global and you do not know what the future holds. I've heard too many sad stories of couples being split due to the new income requirements. One of my friends from uni had lived with his then fiancee for five years abroad but she did not get a visa because of the British citizen income requirements. There was also the case recently of a retired British athlete who wanted to return with her family from Australia to look after her sick parents - her spouse was denied a visa because of her income, even though they had a house here. (The UK's unfair immigration rules have exiled one of its world champion athletes | Sport | The Guardian)

The best advice I've had from everyone on here and others who have gone through the process to get through as fast as possible are these:
1) Read the Wiki someone kindly posted above, read all the guidance (on the USCIS website) for the forms thoroughly - they often contain supporting document requirements that aren't on the form (e.g. for proving domicile).
2) Get all the documents listed on the Wiki/embassy website for the next stage ready before you are asked for them- very few have time limits (six months for photos) and usually even then you're going to make it in time. That way you can reply and move on as soon as they contact you. I should have followed my own advice on this and I'd be further along.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

dotsas has a spectacular aura aboutdotsas has a spectacular aura aboutdotsas has a spectacular aura about

If you are looking to get British citizenship for your wife you might want to get a move on - I applied at the end of April and I'm still waiting. Word on various forums are saying they're now processing applications from March. She can get her passport from overseas but won't be able to do the citizenship ceremony overseas (and that needs to be done within 3 months of receiving the approval if I'm not mistaken).
Old Jul 11th 2015, 4:05 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Spanknap, you seem to have glossed over Post #34.

I'd suggest you don't.