Moving to Texas

Old Apr 27th 2019, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Palmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving to Texas

Hello all!

I have been reading this forum for a while now, some great info on here!

I thought I would start a thread and see what everyone else’s thoughts are. Apologies if this has been covered before, I have looked through the forum.

My wife and I currently live in the UK. I am a UK citizen and my wife is a US citizen. We have been married for two years and my wife is here on a spousal visa. (We got married in the UK).

We also have a baby girl. (She has a UK and US passport with an SSN)

We are thinking of making the move to Texas indefinitely as we have alot of family support there and was wondering what the best option could be for us as a married couple regarding which visa etc. Be interested to know if anyone else has experienced a similar situation?

We have spent a lot of time as a family over many trips to Texas and love it!

Many thanks!
Old Apr 27th 2019, 12:25 pm
Just Joined

CCB1 has a reputation beyond reputeCCB1 has a reputation beyond reputeCCB1 has a reputation beyond reputeCCB1 has a reputation beyond reputeCCB1 has a reputation beyond reputeCCB1 has a reputation beyond reputeCCB1 has a reputation beyond reputeCCB1 has a reputation beyond reputeCCB1 has a reputation beyond reputeCCB1 has a reputation beyond reputeCCB1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Texas

Hi Palmer30
We are moving to Texas too! We are a family of four- Dad and kids are dual US/UK citizens. It should be quite straight forward for you and your spouse will be applying for permanent residency-GreenCard
All the info you need to get started is on the US London Embassy website- immigrant visas- family immigration.
(Sorry I can’t post the link as I’m too new and not allowed to yet)

Old Apr 27th 2019, 1:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Palmer, welcome to BE!

There is only one visa option for you, and that is the CR-1 spouse immigrant visa. Your wife can file the I-130 directly to the USCIS field office at the US Embassy in London. The whole process should take about 6 to 8 months.

Rene
Old Apr 27th 2019, 1:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE, Palmer.

If you are serious about moving your family to the US and as your USC wife is living legally in the UK, she is eligible to file directly at the USCIS in the UK (known as direct consular filing).

The problem is that the USCIS office in the UK is going to be closed soon (within months or weeks?) so if you are serious about the move then my suggestion is to get your I-130 filed there ASAP. Filing in this manner will shave off months of wait time.

If you can't do it before they close, then your wife will file the I-130 with the USCIS in the states. After it is approved it gets sent to the National Visa Center (NVC) where you both will exchange documents and payments before it is then passed on to the US Embassy in London. Once there you will get your ACRO, medical and attend your interview. If successful, your visa will be placed in your passport and returned to you.

Now there is lots more information to impart, especially concerning the Affidavit of Support for you, but the upside is that your marriage is over 2 years in length and you will be receiving the Immediate Relative Visa (IR-1) which results in a green card being mailed to you after you enter the US with your approved visa and will have the rights to live and work in the US indefinitely.

Has your wife become a British citizen? If not, she really should do so before leaving.

P.S. Rene said CR-1 but you are married over 2 years, so it is IR-1.
Old Apr 27th 2019, 1:11 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CCB1

Hi Palmer30
We are moving to Texas too! We are a family of four- Dad and kids are dual US/UK citizens. It should be quite straight forward for you and your spouse will be applying for permanent residency-GreenCard
All the info you need to get started is on the US London Embassy website- immigrant visas- family immigration.
(Sorry I can’t post the link as I’m too new and not allowed to yet)

Our wiki also deals with DCF https://britishexpats.com/wiki/DCF_I...iled_In_London_
Old Apr 27th 2019, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Palmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond reputePalmer30 has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou for all your helpful comments and its nice to hear from another family doing the same thing!

When my now wife came to the UK I was required to sponsor her and had to meet various guidelines. I’m guessing she will now be required to sponsor me for the US visa requirements. Would she be able to do that since she has been living in the UK for the past few years and does not have a US address? (Other than her parents house)

I was thinking perhaps her parents may need to sponsor me? Admittedly I have not read through the I-130 just yet and probably should before assuming things...!
Old Apr 27th 2019, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rete
Welcome to BE, Palmer.

If you are serious about moving your family to the US and as your USC wife is living legally in the UK, she is eligible to file directly at the USCIS in the UK (known as direct consular filing).

The problem is that the USCIS office in the UK is going to be closed soon (within months or weeks?) so if you are serious about the move then my suggestion is to get your I-130 filed there ASAP. Filing in this manner will shave off months of wait time.

If you can't do it before they close, then your wife will file the I-130 with the USCIS in the states. After it is approved it gets sent to the National Visa Center (NVC) where you both will exchange documents and payments before it is then passed on to the US Embassy in London. Once there you will get your ACRO, medical and attend your interview. If successful, your visa will be placed in your passport and returned to you.

Now there is lots more information to impart, especially concerning the Affidavit of Support for you, but the upside is that your marriage is over 2 years in length and you will be receiving the Immediate Relative Visa (IR-1) which results in a green card being mailed to you after you enter the US with your approved visa and will have the rights to live and work in the US indefinitely.

Has your wife become a British citizen? If not, she really should do so before leaving.

P.S. Rene said CR-1 but you are married over 2 years, so it is IR-1.

Sorry just to clarify, we will be married 2 years this September. So should probably wait until after September to submit? Does it make much difference?
Old Apr 27th 2019, 4:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Palmer30
Thankyou for all your helpful comments and its nice to hear from another family doing the same thing!

When my now wife came to the UK I was required to sponsor her and had to meet various guidelines. I’m guessing she will now be required to sponsor me for the US visa requirements. Would she be able to do that since she has been living in the UK for the past few years and does not have a US address? (Other than her parents house)

I was thinking perhaps her parents may need to sponsor me? Admittedly I have not read through the I-130 just yet and probably should before assuming things...!

If you have sufficient realizable assets*, such as cash, stock/fund investments (but not pension funds), and/or equity in your home, then you can self sponsor, and that is what me and my wife (she's the USC) did. If you don't have sufficient assets you will need a joint sponsor, which could be a member of your wife's family, but doesn't have to be, it can be anyone legally resident in the US.

* You only have to prove that you own them, and can prove the realizable value, not actually realize them, unlike applying for a spouse visa for the UK

Any mailing address in the US will do if asked for one (I'm not sure you even need one, at least not until you arrive in the US and need one for your green card to be sent to), unlike when applying for a spouse visa for the UK you don't have to prove that you have "suitable" living accommodation when applying for a CR-1.

Originally Posted by Noorah101
.... There is only one visa option for you, and that is the CR-1 spouse immigrant visa. ....
That's not strictly true - he could for example be transferred by his employer using an L-1A/B, or get sponsored by a British-owned company operating in the US for an E-2 visa. Granted, the CR-1 is far more likely, but it isn't the "only" possibilty.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 27th 2019 at 4:15 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2019, 4:03 pm
Concierge

Sorry just to clarify, we will be married 2 years this September. So should probably wait until after September to submit? Does it make much difference?
No, filing now doesn't have anything to do with whether it is a CR or an IR visa. It is the length of the marriage at the time you enter the POE with the approved visa. You will definitely be past the 2nd anniversary by the time of the interview at the US Embassy and your entry into the US.
Old Apr 27th 2019, 4:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Your wife has to be your sponsor and show a US domicile, her Parents can be Joint Sponsors if needed.
Old Apr 27th 2019, 4:19 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Your wife has to be your sponsor and show a US domicile, ....
Or "intent to domicile". ... Which empirical observations suggest is a very low bar
Old Apr 27th 2019, 8:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

It makes no difference in the process.

Rene
Old Apr 29th 2019, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

scar is an unknown quantity at this point

im Moving to Texas next week with my family and I went through this process. I wrote a post on a thread with hints and tips you may find useful from my experience, basically be prepared for the next steps in advance. All the information is online and there are some great people on here who kindly offer their time to help (thank you all). I found no question is to stupid to ask on here!

I went through the process last year & I have a 6 month old daughter who submitted an I-130 for in London and we had the following timeline:
  • I-130 received by London office - January 22nd
  • LND Can number received from London Embassy - 27th March
  • Medical & Interview - 8th & 9th April
  • Passport & documentation arrived at courier depot - 23rd April
  • Flying to Dallas - 11th May
Old Apr 29th 2019, 9:48 am
Just Joined

CCB1 has a reputation beyond reputeCCB1 has a reputation beyond reputeCCB1 has a reputation beyond reputeCCB1 has a reputation beyond reputeCCB1 has a reputation beyond reputeCCB1 has a reputation beyond reputeCCB1 has a reputation beyond reputeCCB1 has a reputation beyond reputeCCB1 has a reputation beyond reputeCCB1 has a reputation beyond reputeCCB1 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow scar that was FAST!!! My receipt date for i130 was Jan 15th and only got approved 1st of April! Still waiting for LND number!
How did you do it???
Old Apr 29th 2019, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

scar is an unknown quantity at this point

not sure if the timelines are slightly different due to my daughters age.. but, as soon as it was approved we emailed them and asked for the LND number rather than wait for the letter (we waited for the letter for my application). We also booked the medical and interview for back-to-back days to save time & money on trips to London.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.