Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Moving and career change for fiance! Help!

Wikiposts

Moving and career change for fiance! Help!

Old Jul 20th 2008, 5:56 am
Just Joined

sheralynneandjay is just really nicesheralynneandjay is just really nicesheralynneandjay is just really nicesheralynneandjay is just really nicesheralynneandjay is just really nicesheralynneandjay is just really nicesheralynneandjay is just really nicesheralynneandjay is just really nice
Default Moving and career change for fiance! Help!

Okay, so all was going well with gathering more information to send to my fiance (who is USC) for my I129-F so that he can send it off...

Over the last week there have been a few problems his end in regards to the place he lives and his work.

His mom has decided to move his brother and girlfriend (with a cat, dog, lizards and a new baby in tow) back into the house that we planned to take over the mortgage for when we got married and would live there. I am allergic to cats and dogs and told Jason that we would have to come up with a solution... so he is going to start looking for his own apartment so we can live there when we get married.

The other problem is, he is currently on leave from the military as he finishes duty in October and will not be re-enlisting, he has just filed an application to the fire fighting force to join them.

Now with all that information, I don't know if we should go ahead with filing the I129F just yet as he has not got a job lined up yet... which will probably mess up the sponsor side with the poverty guide lines etc and also we do not have a secure address of where we will be living once married. He says that we can use the address he is at for the moment, but I am worried that this will cause difficulties down the line. He says that it will all be fine, but he's not one to worry until the time comes.. whereas I worry wayyyyyyyy in advance!

Sorry to post again, but I'm just so unsure what to do and would prefer less complications in the long run. Will changing address half way through mess with the application and if he hasnt been in a job for long, will that affect it also?

Any feedback would be wonderful.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 6:08 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving and career change for fiance! Help!

It's much better if he has a stable address for the duration of the K-1 process. It does not have to be the address you will live when you get to the USA, but it should be a stable address where USCIS can send him mail and he'll receive it with no trouble. That said, he can always open a PO Box and use that as his MAILING address, regardless of where his physical address is. USCIS will accept PO Box as valid mailing address.

As for his income, the I-134 affidavit of support for the K-1 has some leeway in it. Evidently it does not need to be exacty according to the poverty guidelines. Do you have enough assets or savings to self-sponsor? If you do, he won't need to do an I-134 at all. Or, he can still do an I-134 and use a joint sponsor if his income is low. The I-134 isn't needed until your K-1 interview, which won't be for around 6 - 8 months from filing the I-129F anyway...by that time maybe he'll have a stable income.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jul 20th 2008, 6:17 am
Just Joined

sheralynneandjay is just really nicesheralynneandjay is just really nicesheralynneandjay is just really nicesheralynneandjay is just really nicesheralynneandjay is just really nicesheralynneandjay is just really nicesheralynneandjay is just really nicesheralynneandjay is just really nice

wow, thank you soooo much Rene, totally eased my mind and worries.
Old Jul 20th 2008, 7:25 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sheralynneandjay
wow, thank you soooo much Rene, totally eased my mind and worries.
I agree with Rene. Since the I-129f is the part that takes the longest, and requires none of what you're concerned about, it seems better to get the head start now.
You can always slow things down later if you need to.