Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Moving back to U.K. - Green Card

Moving back to U.K. - Green Card

Old Feb 23rd 2017, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

dee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Moving back to U.K. - Green Card

Just a short introduction I am a UKC and my wife is a USC I entered on a K1 and have had my 2 year conditional green card for the past 10 months.

Me and the mrs are looking to move back to the UK to be closer to family where we have decided to we want to reside in the future.

I understand that 90 days prior to the 2 year period I would need to file to remove the conditions on my green card but as we won't be living in the US anymore is it suggested that I give it up, is this done via form and what are the tax implications once this form is filed and green card given up?

I understand my wife would need to file taxes every year for any income she would make in the U.K. though does this fall under the foreign income exclusion bracket if it is less than £50k?

Furthermore if our joint bank account or her U.K. Bank account has more tha $10,000 in it at any time she is required to file a FBAR?
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 9:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back to U.K. - Green Card

If you truly don't want to be a US PR anymore, then yes, there is a form to file to give up your status. That being said, if you don't apply for the removal of conditions, your PR status will go away on its own.

For the tax related questions, please post in the general USA forum or the Moving Back to UK forum.

Thanks,
Rene
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

dee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond reputedee98 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
If you truly don't want to be a US PR anymore, then yes, there is a form to file to give up your status. That being said, if you don't apply for the removal of conditions, your PR status will go away on its own.

For the tax related questions, please post in the general USA forum or the Moving Back to UK forum.

Thanks,
Rene
Is one way better than the other? Is there a way to give it up without prejudice?

Would I still be able to travel with my wife to the US under the VWP, and would I face scrutiny at the border for giving this up or not removing the conditions?

If for some reason we ever do want to go back be it in 20 years time would this affect us when filing under the CR1 route?
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 10:00 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are sure about it, I'd file the form and make it official, then you don't have anything left hanging around in their system.

It will not affect future VWP travel.

It will not affect your ability to get another immigrant visa in the future.

Rene
Old Feb 24th 2017, 7:36 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dee98
Is one way better than the other?
What one person would consider "better" another person might consider "worse". Only you can determine based on your own personal proclivities.

Originally Posted by dee98
If for some reason we ever do want to go back be it in 20 years time would this affect us when filing under the CR1 route?
Depends on what US immigration law looks like in 20 years time.