Wikiposts

Move to the US?

Old Jul 2nd 2007, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Aidanmccarthy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move to the US?

Hi,
I am from the UK and have an American girlfriend. I would like to be with her, but as she was refused entry and a visa to the UK, this is currently not possible. I would even consider getting married there to make it work. My question is how difficult would this be and under what circumstances i.e length of time spent with one another, would we be able to apply for a fiance visa? Or is this the sollution?
Thank you for any information or ideas.
Aidan
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 11:56 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Move to the US?

Originally Posted by Aidanmccarthy
Hi,
I am from the UK and have an American girlfriend. I would like to be with her, but as she was refused entry and a visa to the UK, this is currently not possible. I would even consider getting married there to make it work. My question is how difficult would this be and under what circumstances i.e length of time spent with one another, would we be able to apply for a fiance visa? Or is this the sollution?
Thank you for any information or ideas.
Aidan
Here's the basic rundown on the K-1 visa process: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/K1

If you've met in person once within the past 2 years, your USC fiance can file for you now. The whole process takes about 8 to 10 months until you get your K-1 visa, and then you have 90 days to marry her after entering the USA. Then you'll file more paperwork to get your green card.

That's the very short version. Let us know if you have any questions.

Rene
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Aidanmccarthy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that.
I was also wondering if that would be the best option or what other options there are to live there and also if I stayed for 90 days as a visitor, would i be able to return again, and if so after what amount of time?
Kind Regards
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 12:49 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aidanmccarthy
Thanks for that.
I was also wondering if that would be the best option or what other options there are to live there and also if I stayed for 90 days as a visitor, would i be able to return again, and if so after what amount of time?
Kind Regards
If the K-1 doesn't interest you, here are all the ways you can immigrate to the USA, maybe you fall into one of these categories: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Sure, you can come visit on the VWP for 90 days. You can't live or work here on that, but you can certainly visit. The general rule of thumb is, spend as much time outside the USA as you do in. So for example, 90 days in the USA, 90+ days out. Then another visit. But be aware that the more you do this, the more you'll be scrutinized at the POE, and perhaps eventually turned away. Bring proof of your ties to the UK, in case the POE officer asks to see them.

Rene