Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Montreal and K1 questions

Montreal and K1 questions

Old Aug 28th 2002, 9:02 am
Nina

Default Montreal and K1 questions

My fiancee' and I want to know if there is anyone who has had similar experience as
ours or if someone is currently or recently received a fiancee' visa from Montreal.
We want to know your time line dealing with Montreal. We have seen several timelines
but most are a year or two old. Montreal received our OL-230I on 19 August 2002 and
they received our checklist on 23 August 2002. I called Montreal on 28 August to ask
some general questions: 1. Asked if they received the documents .. answer ... they
had received them. 2. Asked will the interview be in Montreal? .. answer ... only
Montreal can do this type visa. 3. Asked if they could schedule the earliest
possible appointment ... answer ... they are waiting for the completion of our
administrative process. 4. Asked how long this adminstrative process will take ....
answer ... a few weeks. 5. Asked when could I expect to receive an interview ...
answer ... possible in November. 6. I asked why so long ... answer ... well maybe in
October. I guess we are concerned because we have looked at several time lines for
return on OL 230I to interview date and all have been 4 to 6 weeks
. This "November" interview date turns out to be 9 to 12 weeks. I know I can not
speed up the pocess, (if anyone knows how I would love to hear about it)but I would
like to have a good feeling for what is happening to others in our situation. Also
if anyone can explian to me what this "administrative process" is and how long it
normally takes, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any answers or advice
you can provide.

Old Aug 28th 2002, 11:41 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Montreal and K1 questions

It does seem like a long time between receipt of the checklist and the interview date. However, there is something new that will throw off the old timeline and that is the administrative review they spoke of. That is actually the FBI clearance of your name and the newer IBIS name check.

Rete

Originally posted by Nina:
My fiancee' and I want to know if there is anyone who has had similar experience as
ours or if someone is currently or recently received a fiancee' visa from Montreal.
We want to know your time line dealing with Montreal. We have seen several timelines
but most are a year or two old. Montreal received our OL-230I on 19 August 2002 and
they received our checklist on 23 August 2002. I called Montreal on 28 August to ask
some general questions: 1. Asked if they received the documents .. answer ... they
had received them. 2. Asked will the interview be in Montreal? .. answer ... only
Montreal can do this type visa. 3. Asked if they could schedule the earliest
possible appointment ... answer ... they are waiting for the completion of our
administrative process. 4. Asked how long this adminstrative process will take ....
answer ... a few weeks. 5. Asked when could I expect to receive an interview ...
answer ... possible in November. 6. I asked why so long ... answer ... well maybe in
October. I guess we are concerned because we have looked at several time lines for
return on OL 230I to interview date and all have been 4 to 6 weeks
. This "November" interview date turns out to be 9 to 12 weeks. I know I can not
speed up the pocess, (if anyone knows how I would love to hear about it)but I would
like to have a good feeling for what is happening to others in our situation. Also
if anyone can explian to me what this "administrative process" is and how long it
normally takes, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any answers or advice
you can provide.
Old Aug 28th 2002, 2:58 pm
Crystal

I, for one, will be watching this thread closely. These are almost the same
questions I have been thinking. We have not yet received our approval from NSC, day
115, but I am hoping it's soon. We were planning a Nov 9th wedding, but I am
beginning the think that it is not going to work out that way. Also, from reading
this post, can I assume that all the medical and police certifications were done
before the packet was sent out. It seems that you got the checklist to them very
quickly. Crystal

[email protected] (Nina) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > My fiancee' and I want to know if there is anyone who has had similar experience as
    > ours or if someone is currently or recently received a fiancee' visa from Montreal.
    > We want to know your time line dealing with Montreal. We have seen several
    > timelines but most are a year or two old. Montreal received our OL-230I on 19
    > August 2002 and they received our checklist on 23 August 2002. I called Montreal on
    > 28 August to ask some general questions: 1. Asked if they received the documents ..
    > answer ... they had received them. 2. Asked will the interview be in Montreal? ..
    > answer ... only Montreal can do this type visa. 3. Asked if they could schedule
    > the earliest possible appointment ... answer ... they are waiting for the
    > completion of our administrative process. 4. Asked how long this adminstrative
    > process will take .... answer ... a few weeks. 5. Asked when could I expect to
    > receive an interview ... answer ... possible in November. 6. I asked why so long
    > ... answer ... well maybe in October. I guess we are concerned because we have
    > looked at several time lines for return on OL 230I to interview date and all have
    > been 4 to 6 weeks
    > . This "November" interview date turns out to be 9 to 12 weeks. I know I can not
    > speed up the pocess, (if anyone knows how I would love to hear about it)but I
    > would like to have a good feeling for what is happening to others in our
    > situation. Also if anyone can explian to me what this "administrative process" is
    > and how long it normally takes, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any
    > answers or advice you can provide.

Old Aug 28th 2002, 3:29 pm
Starla

Hi smiles..welcome to the K1 process I recently received our Visa in Montreal

Time line as follows March 29 filled Petition April 7 Notice of Action May 3 Notice
of Approval June 18 Mailed in final packet (had to wait fo medicals) July 24
Interview in Montreal Aug 16 Moved to the USA Oct 26 Marriage

Montreal was great to deal with. Everyone was smiling and very helpful. There is a
hotel right across from the embassy. If you like i can dig up the name of it.

Hope this helps

starla

[email protected] (Nina) wrote in message
    > My fiancee' and I want to know if there is anyone who has had similar experience as
    > ours or if someone is currently or recently received a fiancee' visa from Montreal.
    > We want to know your time line dealing with Montreal. We have seen several
    > timelines but most are a year or two old. Montreal received our OL-230I on 19
    > August 2002 and they received our checklist on 23 August 2002. I called Montreal on
    > 28 August to ask some general questions: 1. Asked if they received the documents ..
    > answer ... they had received them. 2. Asked will the interview be in Montreal? ..
    > answer ... only Montreal can do this type visa. 3. Asked if they could schedule
    > the earliest possible appointment ... answer ... they are waiting for the
    > completion of our administrative process. 4. Asked how long this adminstrative
    > process will take .... answer ... a few weeks. 5. Asked when could I expect to
    > receive an interview ... answer ... possible in November. 6. I asked why so long
    > ... answer ... well maybe in October. I guess we are concerned because we have
    > looked at several time lines for return on OL 230I to interview date and all have
    > been 4 to 6 weeks
    > . This "November" interview date turns out to be 9 to 12 weeks. I know I can not
    > speed up the pocess, (if anyone knows how I would love to hear about it)but I
    > would like to have a good feeling for what is happening to others in our
    > situation. Also if anyone can explian to me what this "administrative process" is
    > and how long it normally takes, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance for any
    > answers or advice you can provide.

Old Aug 29th 2002, 2:39 am
Margaret

[email protected] (starla) wrote in message
    > Hi smiles..welcome to the K1 process I recently received our Visa in Montreal
    > Time line as follows March 29 filled Petition April 7 Notice of Action May 3 Notice
    > of Approval June 18 Mailed in final packet (had to wait fo medicals) July 24
    > Interview in Montreal Aug 16 Moved to the USA Oct 26 Marriage
    > Montreal was great to deal with. Everyone was smiling and very helpful. There is a
    > hotel right across from the embassy. If you like i can dig up the name of it.
    > Hope this helps
    > starla
    > [email protected] (Nina) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > > My fiancee' and I want to know if there is anyone who has had similar experience
    > > as ours or if someone is currently or recently received a fiancee' visa from
    > > Montreal. We want to know your time line dealing with Montreal. We have seen
    > > several timelines but most are a year or two old. Montreal received our OL-230I
    > > on 19 August 2002 and they received our checklist on 23 August 2002. I called
    > > Montreal on 28 August to ask some general questions: 1. Asked if they received
    > > the documents .. answer ... they had received them. 2. Asked will the interview
    > > be in Montreal? .. answer ... only Montreal can do this type visa. 3. Asked if
    > > they could schedule the earliest possible appointment ... answer ... they are
    > > waiting for the completion of our administrative process. 4. Asked how long this
    > > adminstrative process will take .... answer ... a few weeks. 5. Asked when could
    > > I expect to receive an interview ... answer ... possible in November. 6. I asked
    > > why so long ... answer ... well maybe in October. I guess we are concerned
    > > because we have looked at several time lines for return on OL 230I to interview
    > > date and all have been 4 to 6 weeks
    > > . This "November" interview date turns out to be 9 to 12 weeks. I know I can not
    > > speed up the pocess, (if anyone knows how I would love to hear about it)but I
    > > would like to have a good feeling for what is happening to others in our
    > > situation. Also if anyone can explian to me what this "administrative process"
    > > is and how long it normally takes, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance for
    > > any answers or advice you can provide.

Here is my timeline to add also:

Nebraska INS

1st NOA: December 18, 2001 2nd NOA: February 26, 2002 Checklist to Montreal: May
10, 2002 (delay in getting long birth certificates due to our provincial striking
workers) Interview in Montreal: June 19, 2002 Moved to USA: June 24, 2002 Married:
July 1, 2002

The officers at the U.S. Consulate in Montreal were wonderful, very friendly.

I wonder if timelines could differ depending on the time of year that you file, for
example winter months may be slower compared to spring. I don't know.

Margaret

Old Aug 29th 2002, 4:11 am
Nina

Hi crystal,

We called Montreal on August 6th, and they told us P3 had been sent to
me. So I began to prepare all the documents from then, that's why,It looks like I
returned it quickly.

[email protected] (Crystal) wrote in message
    > I, for one, will be watching this thread closely. These are almost the same
    > questions I have been thinking. We have not yet received our approval from NSC,
    > day 115, but I am hoping it's soon. We were planning a Nov 9th wedding, but I am
    > beginning the think that it is not going to work out that way. Also, from reading
    > this post, can I assume that all the medical and police certifications were done
    > before the packet was sent out. It seems that you got the checklist to them very
    > quickly. Crystal
    > > My fiancee' and I want to know if there is anyone who has had similar experience
    > > as ours or if someone is currently or recently received a fiancee' visa from
    > > Montreal. We want to know your time line dealing with Montreal. We have seen
    > > several timelines but most are a year or two old. Montreal received our OL-230I
    > > on 19 August 2002 and they received our checklist on 23 August 2002. I called
    > > Montreal on 28 August to ask some general questions: 1. Asked if they received
    > > the documents .. answer ... they had received them. 2. Asked will the interview
    > > be in Montreal? .. answer ... only Montreal can do this type visa. 3. Asked if
    > > they could schedule the earliest possible appointment ... answer ... they are
    > > waiting for the completion of our administrative process. 4. Asked how long this
    > > adminstrative process will take .... answer ... a few weeks. 5. Asked when could
    > > I expect to receive an interview ... answer ... possible in November. 6. I asked
    > > because we have looked at several time lines for return on OL 230I to interview
    > > . This "November" interview date turns out to be 9 to 12 weeks. I know I can not
    > > speed up the pocess, (if anyone knows how I would love to hear about it)but I
    > > situation. Also if anyone can explian to me what this "administrative process"
    > > is and how long it normally takes, I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance for

Old Aug 29th 2002, 6:12 am
Nina

I can tell you what has happen with us. We went through the VSC not NSC. I called
them from time to time to get updated information (many busy signals before I could
talk to someone). They did try to answer the questions the best they can. After they
approved the I-129F, I received a notice from VSC saying they had cabled the results
to Montreal. However calling Montreal I was told they had not received the notice but
would post it in their computer the same day they get it and would send out the
package the next day. It took about 2 weeks for Montreal to get the notice of
approval from VSC and they did send the package out the next day. Montreal seems to
work much faster than INS. When I haver called they were generally friendly and
helpful. The mail took a few days longer than I expected but it finally got here. I
already had a list of what documents would be required so I had been preparing them
in advance. Montreal will only accept a police record from RCMP. Which I found was
easy and quick to get from a local office. The medical appointment was also easy and
quick to get. You have to go to a location listed in the package. I received my
medical results the same day of the appointment. Also note that the instructions from
Montreal say return the 230I form right away. They will not start processing you
case until they receive it. I sent everything via overnight post to make sure it was
there soon as possible. I hope this will help you. It is good to be able to share
this information. Nina.

[email protected] (Crystal) wrote in message
    > I, for one, will be watching this thread closely. These are almost the same
    > questions I have been thinking. We have not yet received our approval from NSC,
    > day 115, but I am hoping it's soon. We were planning a Nov 9th wedding, but I am
    > beginning the think that it is not going to work out that way. Also, from reading
    > this post, can I assume that all the medical and police certifications were done
    > before the packet was sent out. It seems that you got the checklist to them very
    > quickly. Crystal