Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Missing package and question over parole

Wikiposts

Missing package and question over parole

Old Jan 6th 2010, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Steve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really nice
Unhappy Missing package and question over parole

Just got my letter for interview which is on 26 Jan but no package of stuff to fill in. I am applying for a fiancé visa and thought there was lots of new and exciting stuff to fill in. The letter says "Encl: Packet 4" which makes me more than a little worried. Can anyone clarify. Ta muchly.

On another point (and I know I can spend half an hour searching for an answer but would rather have it from one of the excellent horses mouths) I am going to want to come back to the UK shortly after getting my Visa.

Am I right in understanding that I cannot leave until I have a) got married and b) then applied for Parole.

As we wanted to have a breather before we got married can I apply for parole BEFORE I get married? And how long is it taking for the paroles to be issued - I'll either be in San Diego or Hawaii....

TIA you lovely people and Happy New Year from Brighton where it is so lovely and warm I cannot physically open the doors of my car as they are frozen shut!

Steve
Old Jan 6th 2010, 10:46 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Missing package and question over parole

Originally Posted by Steve Homer
Am I right in understanding that I cannot leave until I have a) got married and b) then applied for Parole.
You can leave at any time... getting back in though - that's the problem!

As we wanted to have a breather before we got married can I apply for parole BEFORE I get married?
No. Advance Parole is a benefit of filing for AOS - and you can't file for AOS until after you're married.

Ian
Old Jan 7th 2010, 1:25 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Just got my letter for interview which is on 26 Jan but no package of stuff to fill in. I am applying for a fiancé visa and thought there was lots of new and exciting stuff to fill in. The letter says "Encl: Packet 4" which makes me more than a little worried. Can anyone clarify. Ta muchly.
I believe the packet isn't really a packet of forms anymore, it's a letter with directions to go online and fill out forms online. My K-1 experience is outdated, so maybe someone who's been through it more recently will pop on.

In order to travel after arrival on the K-1, you need to: a)get married and b) apply for Advance Parole (AP) and c) have AP in hand before stepping foot outside the USA.

As we wanted to have a breather before we got married can I apply for parole BEFORE I get married?
No, the AP can only be applied for either along with or after AOS. Since you want to travel sooner rather than later, I suggest filing the I-131 in the same package as your AOS.

And how long is it taking for the paroles to be issued - I'll either be in San Diego or Hawaii....
It typically takes between 30 - 60 days to get AP in hand. If you leave the USA before having AP in hand, you will abandon your AOS process.

Note....it's best NOT to move mid-way during AOS, if you're thinking of moving. It can be done, but you risk losing important correspondence from USCIS.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Jan 7th 2010 at 2:22 am. Reason: typo
Old Jan 7th 2010, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

Steve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really niceSteve Homer is just really nice

Thanks all. I had no intention of leaving without the parole but was hoping...

Ah well what a process.... and the enclosures will check on line (there is a reference in the letter).

As ever thanks a million.

Steve
Old Jan 7th 2010, 2:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

just so you know Steve, once the K1 is approved you have 6months to enter the US with it, and then you must marry within 90days of entering. If you do not, then you are not adhering to the terms of the K1 and will become deportable IIRC (not to mention you will be out of status and will begin accruing days of overstay).

As others said, you cannot leave the US without AP in hand, otherwise, your (then) wife will have to start all over a spousal visa application to bring you back to the US - which currently takes about 8-10months.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
As others said, you cannot leave the US without AP in hand, otherwise, your (then) wife will have to start all over a spousal visa application to bring you back to the US - which currently takes about 8-10months.
Lord knows I am aware of that. So after trying to keep me out for a year, they won't let me out once I am in.

I just love the process. Especially the fact that I have to have a flu jab to marry an American but I can visit huge US trade shows with as many infectious diseases as I like. I presume there is some sort of logic but I fear it is bureaucracy gone MAD! So much easier to add in everything and not be blamed for anything - sadly I think I blame the marvellous CDC seeing their musings reproduced elsewhere here.

Steve
Old Jan 7th 2010, 3:01 am
Forum Regular

Location: Kentucky - Green Card came 2 months after marrying! :D
ajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Missing package and question over parole

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I believe the packet isn't really a packet of forms anymore, it's a letter with directions to go online and fill out forms online. My K-1 experience is outdated, so maybe someone who's been through it more recently will pop on.
Yes, I made that mistake. I received the letter and waited about 3 weeks for this 'packet' to arrive... then realised that actual letter was 'the packet', meaning the web link directed me to all the forms I needed to complete. This obviously delayed me 3-4 weeks! OUCH!

However once I completed the forms my interview date came through within 3 weeks, 4 weeks later I was here in the USA on my K1 Visa.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Steve,

There are lots of hoops to jump through, but having the flu jab isnt one of them so you can cross that off your list!
Old Jan 7th 2010, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

ajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond reputeajcmals has a reputation beyond repute

Steve may I also add that I got married within 2 days of entering US on my K1... I completed AOS forms ASAP, I got my GREEN CARD within 2 months!!! I was VERY surprised. It can take much longer but perhaps I was lucky in my case.

I too was worried that i'd have to go 'home' to UK for some reason and had to wait for Advanced Parole or Green Card. It's up to you of course but for me I got my Green Card quickly.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 3:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Lord knows I am aware of that. So after trying to keep me out for a year, they won't let me out once I am in.
They are more than happy to let you leave but then you have to start all over again and they will keep you out for another year.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by traceym
Steve,

There are lots of hoops to jump through, but having the flu jab isnt one of them so you can cross that off your list!
Ah youth. Us "old" people (over 50!) HAVE to have a flu jab. Why? - only the Lord and some clown at CDC know. I know cause I misread the vaccination form and got told off at the medical.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ajcmals
Steve may I also add that I got married within 2 days of entering US on my K1... I completed AOS forms ASAP, I got my GREEN CARD within 2 months!!! I was VERY surprised. It can take much longer but perhaps I was lucky in my case.

I too was worried that i'd have to go 'home' to UK for some reason and had to wait for Advanced Parole or Green Card. It's up to you of course but for me I got my Green Card quickly.
Oh now that is good news. Sadly we are rather snapping at each other at the moment so it will need a few weeks of gentle fun before we get married - and as she is living in a building site.... Why on earth did I go to bloody Hawaii and where are all the lovely British girls when you need em!

Only kidding darling!
Old Jan 7th 2010, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry my fault, i'm not there yet (only just!)
Old Jan 7th 2010, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Cool Re: Missing package and question over parole

Oh now that is good news. Sadly we are rather snapping at each other at the moment so it will need a few weeks of gentle fun before we get married - and as she is living in a building site.... Why on earth did I go to bloody Hawaii and where are all the lovely British girls when you need em!

Only kidding darling!
Steve, it's a BIG move... Take marriage SERIOUSLY! It's not too late!!!

If i'm honest I often question my decision now, things are TOUGH for me right now! Trying to hold out though and work on things (most of our issues together are caused by $! The root of all evil!)

It's strange being married in my opinion. For me all the things "they say" about marriage are true and when you see / hear comedians talking about marriage it has me and my wife in stitches! Soooooo true! We have a love hate thing at the moment. We don't get along good right now... but when I think back to when we first met and all that we went through to get me here it makes me wish it was like that all the time. Have to take those vows seriously!

Also we got married in our house with just a few friends, we kept it quiet from other friends and family then had a 'main' wedding in October. The wedding at our house was more fun that the 'real' one, we got drunk listened to music and made the most of it!

When I got to USA we chilled for a couple of days, then one day we were bored and said... "Shall we get married today?" so we got our marriage license that day and the Justice of the Peace cam over that night... hey presto!!!

So you're moving to Hawaii / San Diego?! You are LUCKY! AWESOME!

To make things easier, try save up as much $ as you can... if you can (and need to work) then find a job you will like (as the state of the economy allows) and get ready to pack a few lbs on, I put 30 lbs / 2 stone on in a year!

It was tough for me leaving England... I actually cried (not like me) when I got through security at Gatwick... even my Dad got teary, which is VERY unlike him!

It's a real big leap of faith buddy! Think about it then hope for the best... if you heart is only half in it then maybe you should re-think!

Old Jan 7th 2010, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ajcmals
Steve, it's a BIG move... Take marriage SERIOUSLY! It's not too late!!!
If I could be with her without being married at the moment I would but to have a life together we have to be married. It puts a horrible pressure on the relationship.

I originally said I would not get married until I was 100% OK with the relationship. I almost got there. But the pressure (for me) of this hideous (for me) process has not helped.

My biggest sadness was that I somehow got it into my head that we had nine MONTHS before we had to be married and I fantasised about having 3-6 months getting reacquainted with each other and then doing a lovely wedding ceremony.

Now I just want to get married as quick as possible and see if we can make a go of it. I suspect if everything goes OK there will be a very nice ceremony in about 12 months with both the British and American governments NOT on the "wedding" list. If not well that will be sad but at least we gave it a real go.

I am quietly optimistic. :-)

Steve

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.