Reload this Page >

Minor issues, but need info

Wikiposts

Minor issues, but need info

Old Jun 28th 2008, 11:14 am
Just Joined

Shannon06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Minor issues, but need info

Since my passport is my only form of identification and I will need to fly to London for the interview, will they keep my passport until they send me my visa, or will they just check the passport and hand it right back so I can use it to fly back home?

Also, how easy is it to get the medical examination and the interview all in one trip? I'm concerned with having to fly down from Edinburgh to London twice.

Thanks. This forum has been a lifesaver.
Old Jun 28th 2008, 11:59 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Minor issues, but need info

Originally Posted by Shannon06
Since my passport is my only form of identification and I will need to fly to London for the interview, will they keep my passport until they send me my visa, or will they just check the passport and hand it right back so I can use it to fly back home?

Also, how easy is it to get the medical examination and the interview all in one trip? I'm concerned with having to fly down from Edinburgh to London twice.

They will keep your passport, and then return it by courier within about 5 days, with your visa in it.

Yes, you can do your medical at any point before your interview, I believe...you make the appointment with the doctor directly. If the medical is too close to the interview date, though, and the embassy hasn't yet received your medical results, they will not be able to approve you the same day as your interview. They will need to wait until they receive the medical results.

Rene
Old Jun 28th 2008, 1:43 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

The visa is will be IN your passport affixed to one of the pages. You must leave it with the Consulate and as Rene said it will be sent back to you by courier.

Old Jun 28th 2008, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

Ok, that makes sense. Thank you very much.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 12:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, that makes sense. Thank you very much.
If you have engough time (and you're in the UK) you can get a UK citizen card. I believe the airlines will accept that (check first though with your particular airline).

Otherwise there's the train (fun fun).

When you have your appointment letter, you phone knightsbridge doctors and make the appointment.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 4:04 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

My fiancee and I took the National express train from Scotland. It was 132 pounds return for two from Arbroath to London. It took 6 hours and really wasn't to bad.We booked a month in advance. He took the megabus to London for his medical but it was over 12 hours and awul for that long a trip! You do make the appointment with Knightsbridge doctors directly. It's 180 pounds for the medical. Try and get your vaccinations from your local doctor so NHS will cover the cost.Knightsbridge doctors will charge you for any extra vacs. You cannot get the varicella or Chicken Pox vac in the UK. Knightsbridge Docs sends the medical results to the embassy but that takes a few days. We stayed at the Comfort Inn Notting Hill for 75 pounds. Otel.com has some good deals on hotels in London. There are several cheap hotels in Paddington too if you need to stay over. As Renee said the visa goes in your passport . If you get the medical the same day or the day before hand the embassy will not have the medical results yet and they will not approve the visa without that.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 4:11 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Side note, you'll need to bring 2 passport size photos of yourself to the medical. Not sure if the instructions mention this or not.

Rene
Old Jun 29th 2008, 4:27 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Side note, you'll need to bring 2 passport size photos of yourself to the medical. Not sure if the instructions mention this or not.

Rene
I believe it does Renee. They ask for photos for everything don't they? LOL My fiancee first paid for a pro photographer to take some for him which was a total waste of money! I was so annoyed! There are quite a few places in London that do them as well. There is a chemist around the corner from the embassy that does 4 for 7.99 and you get the photos immediately. We asked the guards at the embassy where it was.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 4:38 am

Gould Pharmacy
37 North Audley Street

London, W1K 6ZL

020-7495-6298

This is the chemist in London near the embassy.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 11:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
Gould Pharmacy
37 North Audley Street

London, W1K 6ZL

020-7495-6298

This is the chemist in London near the embassy.
Snappy Snaps near the Embassy knows how to take the US passport style pics also.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Ok, thanks very much everyone, that really helps a lot. I tried to make an appointment for my medical exam for August, but apparently they aren't scheduling that far ahead. But everything else is finished.

Hopefully this can all get done by the beginning of September, that's when we have to move. I don't know if that's just wishful thinking, though.