Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Milwaukee AOS Success! Card Arrives in 6 Days!

Wikiposts

Milwaukee AOS Success! Card Arrives in 6 Days!

Old May 2nd 2005, 9:45 am
Found: My soul mate!!

mrs.jar2b will become famous soon enoughmrs.jar2b will become famous soon enough
Talking Milwaukee AOS Success! Card Arrives in 6 Days!

Hello everyone!

I’ve been scarce lately, not even lurking on this site like I used to, but I owe all of you who have supported my husband and I on our K3 and then AOS journey an update and a big thank you for standing by us, cheering us on, and answering questions as they came up.

Last week Wednesday, April 27, we had our AOS interview here in Milwaukee and it was a huge success! To top it off Mark received his conditional PR card in the mail today, six days later. USCIS certainly is speeding up the process, at least in our experience.

Over the last year I’ve been collecting documentation showing Mark’s and my life together as a married couple in the US. I purposely waited until 2 weekends before the interview to gather it all together, go down the interview checklist making tick marks, and dragging the whole lot to work one Saturday afternoon to abuse the copy machine.

The night before the interview arrived. We didn’t feel nervous. The morning of the interview arrived … still not nervous. In my case it was excitement at the chance to talk about our “case” (a.k.a. our life as a happily married couple) as well as anticipation for some kind of praise for having our evidence so well put together and organized (as though they *owed* it to me … not! But I was so proud!)

Our interview was scheduled for 8:30AM. We arrived at 8AM to a line of about 20 people waiting outside and the doors not quite open yet. We were allowed in, showed our appointment letter to the security guard, and made our way through security. Upstairs we went, dropped the interview letter in the slot (never to be seen again after guarding it and making millions of copies of it after we received it), and had a seat in a large waiting room. We entertained ourselves while waiting by commenting on the nice wall color and watching people’s children play quietly at the Lego table as though they were in a production line at work. Mark took these valuable minutes to open the two accordion folders I had put together (one full of copies, the other full of originals) to see what was inside. You see, I *like* this immigration business and I enjoyed carefully compiling all the evidence we needed, and Mark gladly let me have at it … a quick check to see what we brought was as involved as he wanted to be, bless him! A door opened behind us, and Mark’s name was called at 8:40AM. We stood up to be greeted by the friendliest and most welcoming AO we could have hoped for.

She introduced herself as Laura and led us to her office. We were both completely at ease with her immediately. She had us raise our right hands and we gave the oath to be truthful while seated. She asked for photo ID from both of us and we showed our driver’s licenses, Mark proudly pointing out his motorcycle endorsement he got just two days before. She asked about our bikes and told us a story about her husband and a Harley. She then pulled out the completed I-485 we had sent in. She went through the entire thing asking Mark if this and that were still current, as well as all the obligatory questions on Part 3. Mark did have a “yes” answer regarding arrests as he was arrested and fined for petty theft in 1993 (I’ve never divulged this information on the forum as he is embarrassed, although he’s posted about it). We had included an explanation and a copy of the court records with his original application. She glossed right over it saying they don’t bat an eye at anything that minor that happened over 10 years ago. As she went over the application she made big red checks on it as Mark verified the answers.

She then turned to me and asked for a copy of our 2004 taxes, as well as for an updated letter from my employer verifying employment and salary. I had put together an entirely updated Affidavit but those were the only two things she wanted from it.

The entire time she talked to us she updated information on her computer. She even kindly explained what she was doing and assured us that even though she was typing she was listening to us.

She asked me how we met and I answered.

She asked for copies of our supporting evidence and directed any questions pertaining to this to me, as I must have obviously looked like the keeper of the folders. I gave her copies of all the “legal” things with both of our names on them: joint savings/checking accounts, joint credit card, health insurance card, doctor bills, titles to both of our cars, my life insurance and 401k plan with Mark shown as my beneficiary, home owners and car insurance, cell phone bill, electric bill, cable bill, phone bill, a service order from the local Harley dealer. She took the entire stack and I got my compliment for being very thorough! She didn’t need, look at, or take any of the personal things we brought such as copies of invitations to weddings we were invited to, greeting cards with postmarks addressed to both of us, nothing to do with our wedding celebration we had once Mark moved here, no copies of airline tickets for our trip back to England, not a single photo. She didn't ask to see our original birth certificates or marriage certificate. But we had it all there, copies and originals, just to be assured that we were short nothing.

She took Mark’s EAD and the I-94 from his passport. We told her he’s actively seeking employment and I asked what he should use to prove that he’s employable until he gets his card. She already had plans to stamp his passport as he was indeed approved and told us that his card will arrive from MO in less than two weeks.

Sorted!

Laura obviously enjoyed her job and I asked her if that was true. She said yes, absolutely, however her favorite cases were not the easy ones like us, but the challenging ones … I wonder what kind of AO she’d be with people who had a reason to be nervous before their interview?!

We are thrilled this step is behind us and even more grateful for Laura. Speaking for myself, even though I understand this is just another case in another day for an Adjusting Officer, it’s very personal to us. All of the effort I put into compiling our documents was worth it to me as this relationship is so worth it. Laura gave us that respect and that was icing on the cake.

We were outside by 9:15 and off to a celebratory breakfast, which included the best strong coffee in town.

Thanks to all and best of luck to those who have this step to look forward to!

Jackie
Old May 2nd 2005, 9:50 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Milwaukee AOS Success! Card Arrives in 6 Days!

Woweee ... Congratulations ... nice writeup and nicer finish.

Originally Posted by mrs.jar2b
Hello everyone!

I’ve been scarce lately, not even lurking on this site like I used to, but I owe all of you who have supported my husband and I on our K3 and then AOS journey an update and a big thank you for standing by us, cheering us on, and answering questions as they came up.

Last week Wednesday, April 27, we had our AOS interview here in Milwaukee and it was a huge success! To top it off Mark received his conditional PR card in the mail today, six days later. USCIS certainly is speeding up the process, at least in our experience.

Over the last year I’ve been collecting documentation showing Mark’s and my life together as a married couple in the US. I purposely waited until 2 weekends before the interview to gather it all together, go down the interview checklist making tick marks, and dragging the whole lot to work one Saturday afternoon to abuse the copy machine.

The night before the interview arrived. We didn’t feel nervous. The morning of the interview arrived … still not nervous. In my case it was excitement at the chance to talk about our “case” (a.k.a. our life as a happily married couple) as well as anticipation for some kind of praise for having our evidence so well put together and organized (as though they *owed* it to me … not! But I was so proud!)

Our interview was scheduled for 8:30AM. We arrived at 8AM to a line of about 20 people waiting outside and the doors not quite open yet. We were allowed in, showed our appointment letter to the security guard, and made our way through security. Upstairs we went, dropped the interview letter in the slot (never to be seen again after guarding it and making millions of copies of it after we received it), and had a seat in a large waiting room. We entertained ourselves while waiting by commenting on the nice wall color and watching people’s children play quietly at the Lego table as though they were in a production line at work. Mark took these valuable minutes to open the two accordion folders I had put together (one full of copies, the other full of originals) to see what was inside. You see, I *like* this immigration business and I enjoyed carefully compiling all the evidence we needed, and Mark gladly let me have at it … a quick check to see what we brought was as involved as he wanted to be, bless him! A door opened behind us, and Mark’s name was called at 8:40AM. We stood up to be greeted by the friendliest and most welcoming AO we could have hoped for.

She introduced herself as Laura and led us to her office. We were both completely at ease with her immediately. She had us raise our right hands and we gave the oath to be truthful while seated. She asked for photo ID from both of us and we showed our driver’s licenses, Mark proudly pointing out his motorcycle endorsement he got just two days before. She asked about our bikes and told us a story about her husband and a Harley. She then pulled out the completed I-485 we had sent in. She went through the entire thing asking Mark if this and that were still current, as well as all the obligatory questions on Part 3. Mark did have a “yes” answer regarding arrests as he was arrested and fined for petty theft in 1993 (I’ve never divulged this information on the forum as he is embarrassed, although he’s posted about it). We had included an explanation and a copy of the court records with his original application. She glossed right over it saying they don’t bat an eye at anything that minor that happened over 10 years ago. As she went over the application she made big red checks on it as Mark verified the answers.

She then turned to me and asked for a copy of our 2004 taxes, as well as for an updated letter from my employer verifying employment and salary. I had put together an entirely updated Affidavit but those were the only two things she wanted from it.

The entire time she talked to us she updated information on her computer. She even kindly explained what she was doing and assured us that even though she was typing she was listening to us.

She asked for copies of our supporting evidence and directed any questions pertaining to this to me, as I must have obviously looked like the keeper of the folders. I gave her copies of all the “legal” things with both of our names on them: joint savings/checking accounts, joint credit card, health insurance card, doctor bills, titles to both of our cars, my life insurance and 401k plan with Mark shown as my beneficiary, home owners and car insurance, cell phone bill, electric bill, cable bill, phone bill, a service order from the local Harley dealer. She took the entire stack and I got my compliment for being very thorough! She didn’t need, look at, or take any of the personal things we brought such as copies of invitations to weddings we were invited to, greeting cards with postmarks addressed to both of us, nothing to do with our wedding celebration we had once Mark moved here, no copies of airline tickets for our trip back to England, not a single photo. She didn't ask to see our original birth certificates or marriage certificate. But we had it all there, copies and originals, just to be assured that we were short nothing.

She took Mark’s EAD and the I-94 from his passport. We told her he’s actively seeking employment and I asked what he should use to prove that he’s employable until he gets his card. She already had plans to stamp his passport as he was indeed approved and told us that his card will arrive from MO in less than two weeks.

Sorted!

Laura obviously enjoyed her job and I asked her if that was true. She said yes, absolutely, however her favorite cases were not the easy ones like us, but the challenging ones … I wonder what kind of AO she’d be with people who had a reason to be nervous before their interview?!

We are thrilled this step is behind us and even more grateful for Laura. Speaking for myself, even though I understand this is just another case in another day for an Adjusting Officer, it’s very personal to us. All of the effort I put into compiling our documents was worth it to me as this relationship is so worth it. Laura gave us that respect and that was icing on the cake.

We were outside by 9:15 and off to a celebratory breakfast, which included the best strong coffee in town.

Jackie
Old May 2nd 2005, 9:56 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!

Ian
Old May 2nd 2005, 10:04 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Woo hoo! Congratulations! Very well-told, also!

Rene
Old May 2nd 2005, 10:10 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone!
Congratulations .....And I can remember your first tentative post you made here which I answered all that time ago ...Ray..
Old May 2nd 2005, 11:01 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Congratulations .....And I can remember your first tentative post you made here which I answered all that time ago ...Ray..
I hope you were nice!

Congratulations on your successful interview!! I guess it is only as stressful as you make it-- good on ya for keeping a cool head and an organized folder
Welcome to America, Mark!
Now That You Are A Permanent Resident:
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/PermRes.htm
Old May 3rd 2005, 1:57 am
Found: My soul mate!!

mrs.jar2b will become famous soon enoughmrs.jar2b will become famous soon enough

Hi Ray ... thanks for the congrats! Yep, I remember you, of course ... you were the very first to post to Mark's first thread ever (of three ... not a big thread-starter, my husband). Your response got us on our way … ahhh, memories! That was less than 2 years ago and so much has happened.

Thank you to everyone else for your congrats as well, much appreciated!

Rete, I posted our story on your kayma interview experience site but there's not a link to Wisconsin districts so I'm not sure how anyone would be able to pull it up. Also, I put it in the 485/K1 catagory even though we were K3 because the interview was based on our 485. I actually didn't spend much time on the site, as I was anxious to leave work, so I hope I posted it correctly. Let me know if there's anything else I can do. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Ray
Old May 4th 2005, 3:39 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone!

Sorted!

Jackie
CONGRATS & compliments on one of the most well written accounts. Im sure it will be helpful to so many of us who are waiting to go through this process in the near future.
Old May 5th 2005, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

dutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond reputedutchman2001nl has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations....