Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Mike95 - Upcoming GC Interview

Mike95 - Upcoming GC Interview

Old Mar 20th 2019, 6:08 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 42
Mike95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mike95 - Upcoming GC Interview

Hey guys, my GC interview is this friday. Annoyingly my interview letter went walkabouts but thankfully I know its 10 or 10.30 am this friday in Montgomery so I will make it. I am going off the list of stuff to bring above, is there anything else anyone can recommend and will I have a problem not having the letter? Thanks.

Edit: Currently assembled...

New I-864 with only me and my wifes income on. (Her mum put her on her taxes this year which hasn't been filed yet to my knowledge so just listed 2017's tax number from the last I-864)
Original Marriage Cert
My Passport + receipt of wifes letter for sending off her Passport for updating.
Original Birth Certs for both.
Recent joint bank statement
Joint health insurance + cards.
EAD/AP Card
Work ID Card
Joint Cell Phone bill
Water bill in my name.
Printout of joint apartment lease info.
2x Payslips for me
3x Payslips from her
Printout of flight info for vacation to home country next month. (Both listed as passengers)
Lots of recent photos of us both.
Print outs of all forms from my AOS Application incl 2017 tax info.

Last edited by Mike95; Mar 20th 2019 at 7:47 am.
Mike95 is offline  
Old Mar 20th 2019, 10:58 am
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
tom169's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: NC, USA (ex Yorkshire)
Posts: 4,370
tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GC interview next week

Originally Posted by Mike95 View Post
Hey guys, my GC interview is this friday. Annoyingly my interview letter went walkabouts but thankfully I know its 10 or 10.30 am this friday in Montgomery so I will make it. I am going off the list of stuff to bring above, is there anything else anyone can recommend and will I have a problem not having the letter? Thanks.

Edit: Currently assembled...

New I-864 with only me and my wifes income on. (Her mum put her on her taxes this year which hasn't been filed yet to my knowledge so just listed 2017's tax number from the last I-864)
Original Marriage Cert
My Passport + receipt of wifes letter for sending off her Passport for updating.
Original Birth Certs for both.
Recent joint bank statement
Joint health insurance + cards.
EAD/AP Card
Work ID Card
Joint Cell Phone bill
Water bill in my name.
Printout of joint apartment lease info.
2x Payslips for me
3x Payslips from her
Printout of flight info for vacation to home country next month. (Both listed as passengers)
Lots of recent photos of us both.
Print outs of all forms from my AOS Application incl 2017 tax info.
Make sure that you are organized and can get to everything quickly.
tom169 is offline  
Old Mar 24th 2019, 1:48 pm
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 42
Mike95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mike95 - Upcoming GC Interview

I attended the AOS interview yesterday and it was much quicker than I thought! We went into a private room with the USCIS officer and he said he had already approved the case and he just went over the application fixing the minor errors. He then asked for anything I wanted to further submit such as recent bills, new 864. He didn’t need to see any photos. We then chatted for the majority of the time about the crazy people he’s had to deal with and those stories which was pretty funny. And that was it, took no more than 20 minutes and green card was approved and I got a notification it is being produced. I’m glad to be done with this for a long time! Thanks to everyone who helped me on the way!
Mike95 is offline  
Old Mar 24th 2019, 2:07 pm
  #4  
MODERATOR
 
Noorah101's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 58,594
Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mike95 - Upcoming GC Interview

Congratulations!

Rene
Noorah101 is offline  
Old Mar 24th 2019, 2:13 pm
  #5  
Concierge
 
Rete's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 45,610
Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mike95 - Upcoming GC Interview

Congratulations on your success.

Are you a conditional permanent resident or a permanent resident? If conditional, you will be dealing with USCIS in two years, less 90 days, from the anniversary date on your green card. So continue to put aside evidence of the continuity of your marriage for the removal of conditions via form I-751.
Rete is offline  
Old Mar 24th 2019, 2:15 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 42
Mike95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mike95 - Upcoming GC Interview

Thank you! Yea I’m conditional but I’m in the process to enlist in the army at the moment so should that all work out I will bypass that but if that falls through I will make sure I do that.
Mike95 is offline  
Old Mar 24th 2019, 2:16 pm
  #7  
 
Pulaski's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Dixie, ex UK
Posts: 50,657
Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mike95 - Upcoming GC Interview

Originally Posted by Mike95 View Post
I attended the AOS interview yesterday and it was much quicker than I thought! We went into a private room with the USCIS officer and he said he had already approved the case and he just went over the application fixing the minor errors.
That is consistent with almost every visa/gc interview I have ever heard of - specifically that the decision was taken before the interview started. That is very clearly true in almost all cases, though very rarely stated as clearly as in your interview.
.... We then chatted for the majority of the time about the crazy people he’s had to deal with and those stories which was pretty funny. And that was it, took no more than 20 minutes ....
That is consistent with my citizenship interview - paperwork too about 10 minutes, 50 minutes spent shooting the breeze over history, current affairs, and renovating houses.
.... I’m glad to be done with this for a long time! Thanks to everyone who helped me on the way!
Congratulations!
Pulaski is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 8:15 am
  #8  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 42
Mike95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mike95 - Upcoming GC Interview

Been a while since I’ve been on this forum thought I’d put a little update. I enlisted in the military as planned in July, I submitted my N400 packet this December after arriving at my duty station. Just received my receipt notice and waiting to hear back on how long processing will take.
Mike95 is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 1:12 pm
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
tom169's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: NC, USA (ex Yorkshire)
Posts: 4,370
tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mike95 - Upcoming GC Interview

Originally Posted by Mike95 View Post
Been a while since I’ve been on this forum thought I’d put a little update. I enlisted in the military as planned in July, I submitted my N400 packet this December after arriving at my duty station. Just received my receipt notice and waiting to hear back on how long processing will take.
Awesome. Do you need to submit for removal of conditions also? Not familiar with the military path to citizenship.
tom169 is offline  
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 7:34 pm
  #10  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 42
Mike95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mike95 - Upcoming GC Interview

I shouldn't do as my Green Card doesnt expire till early 2021 and I should have my N400 processed and become naturalized very soon. USCIS expedites military N400s already and I have an upcoming deployment so they will expedite the expedition of it which is pretty neat. I also heard of someone who joined the National Guard and got their citizenship before/during their Basic Training which I can't confirm.

All you have to do is a completed N-426 signed by a O-6+ and then send that with an N400 to the military receiving address and thats it. No other documents required.

Last edited by Mike95; Jan 2nd 2020 at 8:35 pm.
Mike95 is offline  
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 4:39 am
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
tom169's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: NC, USA (ex Yorkshire)
Posts: 4,370
tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mike95 - Upcoming GC Interview

Originally Posted by Mike95 View Post
I shouldn't do as my Green Card doesnt expire till early 2021 and I should have my N400 processed and become naturalized very soon. USCIS expedites military N400s already and I have an upcoming deployment so they will expedite the expedition of it which is pretty neat. I also heard of someone who joined the National Guard and got their citizenship before/during their Basic Training which I can't confirm.

All you have to do is a completed N-426 signed by a O-6+ and then send that with an N400 to the military receiving address and thats it. No other documents required.
Generally folks need to remove conditions before being able to naturalize. However I did a quick Google and looks like that's not the case for military. https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/...rt-g-chapter-5

Accordingly, CPRs who are filing on the basis of such qualifying military service are not required to file a petition to remove conditions and may be naturalized without the removal of conditions from their permanent resident status.
tom169 is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2020, 1:58 pm
  #12  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jun 2015
Location: Near Lynchburg Tennessee, home of Jack Daniels
Posts: 1,226
ddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond reputeddsrph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mike95 - Upcoming GC Interview

I don’t know what the current GI bill for college provides but if I was you I would take full advantage of what it offers. The GI bill was of great benefit to me and I used it to the max.
ddsrph is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2020, 1:42 am
  #13  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Feb 2018
Posts: 42
Mike95 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mike95 - Upcoming GC Interview

Originally Posted by ddsrph View Post
I don’t know what the current GI bill for college provides but if I was you I would take full advantage of what it offers. The GI bill was of great benefit to me and I used it to the max.
I went down the Montgomery GI Bill Route, currently working to get my associates in service and then it'll help pay a lot towards a Bachelors. Very helpful!
Mike95 is offline  
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 6:40 pm
  #14  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Feb 2020
Posts: 3
Jayman916 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Mike95 - Upcoming GC Interview

Hey mike ! Congrats on your green card! Can you tell me more about your journey to join the military? I thought the current administration made it impossible to join with a conditional green card and gain citizenship? Thanks
Jayman916 is offline  
Old Feb 2nd 2020, 7:56 pm
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
 
tom169's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2015
Location: NC, USA (ex Yorkshire)
Posts: 4,370
tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mike95 - Upcoming GC Interview

Originally Posted by Jayman916 View Post
Hey mike ! Congrats on your green card! Can you tell me more about your journey to join the military? I thought the current administration made it impossible to join with a conditional green card and gain citizenship? Thanks
I'd recommend finding a local recruiting office and going in to talk to them.
tom169 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.