British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Marriage Based Visas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/)
-   -   Mike95 - Upcoming GC Interview (https://britishexpats.com/forum/marriage-based-visas-35/mike95-upcoming-gc-interview-923393/)

Mike95 Mar 20th 2019 7:08 am

Mike95 - Upcoming GC Interview
 
Hey guys, my GC interview is this friday. Annoyingly my interview letter went walkabouts but thankfully I know its 10 or 10.30 am this friday in Montgomery so I will make it. I am going off the list of stuff to bring above, is there anything else anyone can recommend and will I have a problem not having the letter? Thanks.

Edit: Currently assembled...

New I-864 with only me and my wifes income on. (Her mum put her on her taxes this year which hasn't been filed yet to my knowledge so just listed 2017's tax number from the last I-864)
Original Marriage Cert
My Passport + receipt of wifes letter for sending off her Passport for updating.
Original Birth Certs for both.
Recent joint bank statement
Joint health insurance + cards.
EAD/AP Card
Work ID Card
Joint Cell Phone bill
Water bill in my name.
Printout of joint apartment lease info.
2x Payslips for me
3x Payslips from her
Printout of flight info for vacation to home country next month. (Both listed as passengers)
Lots of recent photos of us both.
Print outs of all forms from my AOS Application incl 2017 tax info.

tom169 Mar 20th 2019 11:58 am

Re: GC interview next week
 

Originally Posted by Mike95 (Post 12656675)
Hey guys, my GC interview is this friday. Annoyingly my interview letter went walkabouts but thankfully I know its 10 or 10.30 am this friday in Montgomery so I will make it. I am going off the list of stuff to bring above, is there anything else anyone can recommend and will I have a problem not having the letter? Thanks.

Edit: Currently assembled...

New I-864 with only me and my wifes income on. (Her mum put her on her taxes this year which hasn't been filed yet to my knowledge so just listed 2017's tax number from the last I-864)
Original Marriage Cert
My Passport + receipt of wifes letter for sending off her Passport for updating.
Original Birth Certs for both.
Recent joint bank statement
Joint health insurance + cards.
EAD/AP Card
Work ID Card
Joint Cell Phone bill
Water bill in my name.
Printout of joint apartment lease info.
2x Payslips for me
3x Payslips from her
Printout of flight info for vacation to home country next month. (Both listed as passengers)
Lots of recent photos of us both.
Print outs of all forms from my AOS Application incl 2017 tax info.

Make sure that you are organized and can get to everything quickly.

Mike95 Mar 24th 2019 2:48 pm

Re: Mike95 - Upcoming GC Interview
 
I attended the AOS interview yesterday and it was much quicker than I thought! We went into a private room with the USCIS officer and he said he had already approved the case and he just went over the application fixing the minor errors. He then asked for anything I wanted to further submit such as recent bills, new 864. He didn’t need to see any photos. We then chatted for the majority of the time about the crazy people he’s had to deal with and those stories which was pretty funny. And that was it, took no more than 20 minutes and green card was approved and I got a notification it is being produced. I’m glad to be done with this for a long time! Thanks to everyone who helped me on the way!

Noorah101 Mar 24th 2019 3:07 pm

Re: Mike95 - Upcoming GC Interview
 
Congratulations!

Rene

Rete Mar 24th 2019 3:13 pm

Re: Mike95 - Upcoming GC Interview
 
Congratulations on your success.

Are you a conditional permanent resident or a permanent resident? If conditional, you will be dealing with USCIS in two years, less 90 days, from the anniversary date on your green card. So continue to put aside evidence of the continuity of your marriage for the removal of conditions via form I-751.

Mike95 Mar 24th 2019 3:15 pm

Re: Mike95 - Upcoming GC Interview
 
Thank you! Yea I’m conditional but I’m in the process to enlist in the army at the moment so should that all work out I will bypass that but if that falls through I will make sure I do that.

Pulaski Mar 24th 2019 3:16 pm

Re: Mike95 - Upcoming GC Interview
 

Originally Posted by Mike95 (Post 12659406)
I attended the AOS interview yesterday and it was much quicker than I thought! We went into a private room with the USCIS officer and he said he had already approved the case and he just went over the application fixing the minor errors.

That is consistent with almost every visa/gc interview I have ever heard of - specifically that the decision was taken before the interview started. That is very clearly true in almost all cases, though very rarely stated as clearly as in your interview.

.... We then chatted for the majority of the time about the crazy people he’s had to deal with and those stories which was pretty funny. And that was it, took no more than 20 minutes ....
That is consistent with my citizenship interview - paperwork too about 10 minutes, 50 minutes spent shooting the breeze over history, current affairs, and renovating houses.

.... I’m glad to be done with this for a long time! Thanks to everyone who helped me on the way!
Congratulations! :thumbup:

Mike95 Jan 2nd 2020 9:15 am

Re: Mike95 - Upcoming GC Interview
 
Been a while since I’ve been on this forum thought I’d put a little update. I enlisted in the military as planned in July, I submitted my N400 packet this December after arriving at my duty station. Just received my receipt notice and waiting to hear back on how long processing will take.

tom169 Jan 2nd 2020 2:12 pm

Re: Mike95 - Upcoming GC Interview
 

Originally Posted by Mike95 (Post 12784295)
Been a while since I’ve been on this forum thought I’d put a little update. I enlisted in the military as planned in July, I submitted my N400 packet this December after arriving at my duty station. Just received my receipt notice and waiting to hear back on how long processing will take.

Awesome. Do you need to submit for removal of conditions also? Not familiar with the military path to citizenship.

Mike95 Jan 2nd 2020 8:34 pm

Re: Mike95 - Upcoming GC Interview
 
I shouldn't do as my Green Card doesnt expire till early 2021 and I should have my N400 processed and become naturalized very soon. USCIS expedites military N400s already and I have an upcoming deployment so they will expedite the expedition of it which is pretty neat. I also heard of someone who joined the National Guard and got their citizenship before/during their Basic Training which I can't confirm.

All you have to do is a completed N-426 signed by a O-6+ and then send that with an N400 to the military receiving address and thats it. No other documents required.

tom169 Jan 3rd 2020 5:39 am

Re: Mike95 - Upcoming GC Interview
 

Originally Posted by Mike95 (Post 12784498)
I shouldn't do as my Green Card doesnt expire till early 2021 and I should have my N400 processed and become naturalized very soon. USCIS expedites military N400s already and I have an upcoming deployment so they will expedite the expedition of it which is pretty neat. I also heard of someone who joined the National Guard and got their citizenship before/during their Basic Training which I can't confirm.

All you have to do is a completed N-426 signed by a O-6+ and then send that with an N400 to the military receiving address and thats it. No other documents required.

Generally folks need to remove conditions before being able to naturalize. However I did a quick Google and looks like that's not the case for military. https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/...rt-g-chapter-5


Accordingly, CPRs who are filing on the basis of such qualifying military service are not required to file a petition to remove conditions and may be naturalized without the removal of conditions from their permanent resident status.

ddsrph Jan 6th 2020 2:58 pm

Re: Mike95 - Upcoming GC Interview
 
I don’t know what the current GI bill for college provides but if I was you I would take full advantage of what it offers. The GI bill was of great benefit to me and I used it to the max.

Mike95 Jan 14th 2020 2:42 am

Re: Mike95 - Upcoming GC Interview
 

Originally Posted by ddsrph (Post 12785939)
I don’t know what the current GI bill for college provides but if I was you I would take full advantage of what it offers. The GI bill was of great benefit to me and I used it to the max.

I went down the Montgomery GI Bill Route, currently working to get my associates in service and then it'll help pay a lot towards a Bachelors. Very helpful!

Jayman916 Feb 2nd 2020 7:40 pm

Re: Mike95 - Upcoming GC Interview
 
Hey mike ! Congrats on your green card! Can you tell me more about your journey to join the military? I thought the current administration made it impossible to join with a conditional green card and gain citizenship? Thanks

tom169 Feb 2nd 2020 8:56 pm

Re: Mike95 - Upcoming GC Interview
 

Originally Posted by Jayman916 (Post 12800503)
Hey mike ! Congrats on your green card! Can you tell me more about your journey to join the military? I thought the current administration made it impossible to join with a conditional green card and gain citizenship? Thanks

I'd recommend finding a local recruiting office and going in to talk to them.


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:29 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.