Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Medical Vaccinations - which ones?

Wikiposts

Medical Vaccinations - which ones?

Old Nov 10th 2004, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

atothel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical Vaccinations - which ones?

Hope I've got the right forum!

We will be applying for a K1 visa early in the new year to let me move from the UK to be with my fiancee in the US. I know that during the AOS stage after I arrive I need to deal with vaccinations etc.

From what I've found on various sites, these need to be:

Mumps, Measles, Rubella, Polio, Tetanus, Pertussis, Influenze Type B, Hepatitis B, Varicella, Pneumoccoccal.

I'm trying to take care of this issue now before I leave the UK, and have just come from a visit with my doctor, where we both had questions that NEITHER of us could answer!

Hopefully some helpful souls here can provide the info required...

1) Is this THE final list, or are there any other nasties I need to beware of, and that I can be vaccinated against?

2) In the case of Rubella and Mumps - I had these as a child, which likely means I will not need a vaccination (or so I've always been led to believe). Is this correct? If so, how do I need to present this to the relevant US authorities?

3) In the case of Influenza, this vaccination is usually given to *ahem* older people - do I need this at all (as I'll probably be taking a shot that would be better given to an older person)?

4) When the list is exhausted and conditions are met, how does my doctor present my records to the authorities? Does she actually turn over my ACTUAL medical records, or is some kind of a signed certIfied letter to say that she acknowledges that I've had all relevant shots good enough?

I realise that to many who've been through this process already it probably seems that I'm worrying over very little - but I'm just trying to get as much stuff covered as possible so that I'm not worrying about it later...

Thanks
Old Nov 11th 2004, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

berthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really nice
Default Re: Medical Vaccinations - which ones?

Originally Posted by atothel

We will be applying for a K1 visa early in the new year to let me move from the UK to be with my fiancee in the US. I know that during the AOS stage after I arrive I need to deal with vaccinations etc.

Mumps, Measles, Rubella, Polio, Tetanus, Pertussis, Influenze Type B, Hepatitis B, Varicella, Pneumoccoccal.

I'm trying to take care of this issue now before I leave the UK, and have just come from a visit with my doctor, where we both had questions that NEITHER of us could answer!

1) Is this THE final list, or are there any other nasties I need to beware of, and that I can be vaccinated against?

2) In the case of Rubella and Mumps - I had these as a child, which likely means I will not need a vaccination (or so I've always been led to believe). Is this correct? If so, how do I need to present this to the relevant US authorities?

3) In the case of Influenza, this vaccination is usually given to *ahem* older people - do I need this at all (as I'll probably be taking a shot that would be better given to an older person)?

4) When the list is exhausted and conditions are met, how does my doctor present my records to the authorities? Does she actually turn over my ACTUAL medical records, or is some kind of a signed certIfied letter to say that she acknowledges that I've had all relevant shots good enough?

I realise that to many who've been through this process already it probably seems that I'm worrying over very little - but I'm just trying to get as much stuff covered as possible so that I'm not worrying about it later...

Thanks

Hi,

I've been looking at these myself ( http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web...iv/faq_med.htm ) and also the link near the bottom ( http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web...ccinechart.htm )

This should be the info you are looking for. I've printed and faxed this to my Doctor surgery and requested one of each, and then to get evidence that I have had them.

Hope this is OK?

Berthman
Old Nov 11th 2004, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

half-pint is on a distinguished road

Thanks
You need to read the list given on the link above. You might not need all those vaccinations depending on your age. e.g Influenza for 50 years and older.

I had to get Td and MMR, I had chicken pox as a child and did not need Varicella (which is not available in the UK anyway).

My mother thought I had MMR as a child, however when I went for my medical they said I couldn't have had it as I was born in 1971. I therefore got the jab, it cost me 35 pounds. I managed to get the Td fo free at a doctor's surgery in the UK. I was given an immunization booklet which the nurse signed and dated.

Ellie
Old Nov 11th 2004, 3:32 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

atothel,

You will have to have a medical exam given by a US consulate-approved doctor or clinic. The examining doctor will determine what vaccinations on the Vaccination Documentation Worksheet (DS-3025) are necessary and medically appropriate for you.

When you get to the USA, consult with a doctor here about what other vaccinations should be considered given US and local health concerns.

In both cases, come prepared with whatever medical records your current doctor will release to you.

Regards, JEff

Thanks