Wikiposts

Medical question

Old Jun 15th 2005, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

BrightontoBoston will become famous soon enoughBrightontoBoston will become famous soon enough
Default Medical question

Hi
Even though my wife and myself will soon be having our interview and medical in London soon for Green Card (through Nursing), a friend of my wife is marrying an American and also having her medical soon.
She has been told - maybe a wind up, that she has to have a genital inspection as part of the medical requirements, which seems to have freaked her out! She claims they are checking for piercings (possible increased risk from Hep B - but has been told every one has one) Can someone confirm if this is true? Do they do this for any ? all immigrant visa's?
Thanks!
Old Jun 15th 2005, 4:52 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical question

Originally Posted by BrightontoBoston
Hi
Even though my wife and myself will soon be having our interview and medical in London soon for Green Card (through Nursing), a friend of my wife is marrying an American and also having her medical soon.
She has been told - maybe a wind up, that she has to have a genital inspection as part of the medical requirements, which seems to have freaked her out! She claims they are checking for piercings (possible increased risk from Hep B - but has been told every one has one) Can someone confirm if this is true? Do they do this for any ? all immigrant visa's?
Thanks!
This is prime grade bullshit. The form talks about syphilis, feeblemindedness, alcoholism and other stuff, but they only test for HIV and TB. She will NOT have to have a genital inspection.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

debbie#1 will become famous soon enoughdebbie#1 will become famous soon enough

Hi
Thanks!
Again, what a load of rubbish - they do however require you to have a HEP B vaccination.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 5:13 am
In God We Trust

UKzeus is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Thanks!
Someone is having a laugh at your expense, we both had our medicals down in London just before Christmas at Dr Phelans Office and just had Chest x-ray,Blood test and check-ups on vaccinations jabs . The link below explains it all

http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...v/medexam.html
Old Jun 15th 2005, 5:25 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Told by whom...

Excellent wind up mind you
Old Jun 15th 2005, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

BrightontoBoston will become famous soon enoughBrightontoBoston will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Boiler
Told by whom...

Excellent wind up mind you
That I agree, unfortunately she is a bit 'prim and proper' so it could be anyone she comes in contact with ;-)

I was kind of hoping it was true actually! Apparently it was because now that the Dr Phelan has retired, you have to go to a Nuffield private hospital most of the time now as they have the medical contract with the embassy.......
Old Jun 15th 2005, 6:36 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
Not to be an alarmist, and am sticking my neck out as the minority report here, but reports from the NEW medical procedure via Nuffield *may* include an outside inspection. This doesn't seem to be consistent, and may have ready been discontinued, but it is not out of the question.

Doesn't have anything to do with piercings, btw. The genital exam is common in countries with a higher rate of STDs and/or 'bar girl' work. Not as invasive as a regular pelvic exam, they're looking for external evidence of an STD.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 9:31 am
John

If you read the instructions for physicians who do physical exams for
greencard - the instructions clearly state that they are supposed to
ask the person to disrobe completely for the examination. I know this
because I have read this papers myself a few days ago; and I have a
friend who does these exams in USA.

The actual form for medical examination asks the physician to answer if
the person has various STD - listed by name. A physician can only say
that you do not have them if the physician has examined genitalia.

This is what is ideally required.

In reality most doctors do not do a genital examination and even do not
ask you to disrobe completely.

I hope that is useful

meauxna wrote:
    > > Hi
    > > Even though my wife and myself will soon be having our interview and
    > > medical in London soon for Green Card (through Nursing), a friend of
    > > my wife is marrying an American and also having her medical soon.
    > > She has been told - maybe a wind up, that she has to have a genital
    > > inspection as part of the medical requirements, which seems to have
    > > freaked her out! She claims they are checking for piercings (possible
    > > increased risk from Hep B - but has been told every one has one) Can
    > > someone confirm if this is true? Do they do this for any ? all
    > > immigrant visa's?
    > > Thanks!
    > Not to be an alarmist, and am sticking my neck out as the minority
    > report here, but reports from the NEW medical procedure via Nuffield
    > *may* include an outside inspection. This doesn't seem to be consistent,
    > and may have ready been discontinued, but it is not out of the question.
    > Doesn't have anything to do with piercings, btw. The genital exam is
    > common in countries with a higher rate of STDs and/or 'bar girl' work.
    > Not as invasive as a regular pelvic exam, they're looking for external
    > evidence of an STD.
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com