Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Medical in Knightsbridge

Medical in Knightsbridge

Old Aug 29th 2016, 11:27 am
Just Joined

Famous Mortimer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical in Knightsbridge

Got my medical coming up in a few weeks, just wondered if anyone else had been to the one in London, had any useful / fun stories to share, etc.

I'm also intrigued about the blood test. Is it just for syphilis or should I start eating nothing but raw vegetables until the time, so my blood seems nice and healthy?
Old Aug 29th 2016, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Medical in Knightsbridge

Originally Posted by Famous Mortimer
Got my medical coming up in a few weeks, just wondered if anyone else had been to the one in London, had any useful / fun stories to share, etc.

I'm also intrigued about the blood test. Is it just for syphilis or should I start eating nothing but raw vegetables until the time, so my blood seems nice and healthy?
Whatever you do, don't snack on crap, drink plenty of coffee and be busting for the bathroom during your medical. They check your blood pressure and sent me away to get it rechecked at my doctor. Delayed things by a week. :P

As for blood test, I think it's just for syphallis. They don't care much other than about that.

The doctor I had was very thorough. He literally explored everywhere. However, was a pleasant enough chap.

Overall, one of those crappy events you just need to get done. Cost an arm and a leg at the same time so be up to date on your shots before hand. Unlucky for you they've banged the prices up again

Last edited by tom169; Aug 29th 2016 at 12:20 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 1:36 pm
Just Joined

Blood pressure's okay, thank heavens, I had it checked at my GP's the other week.

It's £250 now? And I've got to take a day off work and a train to London? Ah well, I've been saving money for exactly this purpose. I feel like I'm on the home stretch now, and am getting a little excited.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Blood pressure's okay, thank heavens, I had it checked at my GP's the other week.

It's £250 now? And I've got to take a day off work and a train to London? Ah well, I've been saving money for exactly this purpose. I feel like I'm on the home stretch now, and am getting a little excited.
They've put the price up. I think it's £290 as of September.

Knightsbridge Doctors Visa Medicals

Just remember that your visa expiry is based on the medical. So once the medical is done then the timer is ticking.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

Things are in order, pretty much, and I now own about half as much stuff as I did six months ago, gradually preparing for the move.

So how long did you have to wait after the medical before you got an interview at the Embassy?
Old Aug 29th 2016, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Things are in order, pretty much, and I now own about half as much stuff as I did six months ago, gradually preparing for the move.

So how long did you have to wait after the medical before you got an interview at the Embassy?
If you're going for a K1 then you can book online as soon as your D-160 and readiness form is completed. As long as you give it a week between medical and interview you should be fine. For me I waited about a month as I didn't book online until after medical.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 3:29 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

You schedule your own interview now.

Rene
Old Aug 29th 2016, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
You schedule your own interview now.

Rene
I got that, thanks, what I meant was "how long from when you booked it was your interview?"
Old Aug 29th 2016, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

I got that, thanks, what I meant was "how long from when you booked it was your interview?"
Was about a month, but after booking you can change it and sometimes earlier cancellations crop up.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

I've just discovered that from today a urine test is required for gonorrhoea.

A mason jar is provided.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 2:03 pm
Sasstronaut

livinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond reputelivinginnyc has a reputation beyond repute

Hey! I did my medical in Jan of 2015, Embassy interview in March - so hopefully that gives you a time line (Booked the medical a couple of days before xmas 2014).

On the medical front -

The staff were pleasant & professional, but the receptionist wasn't too happy about me arriving 10 minutes early, but let me in as it was raining heavily and took pity on me - Once I got into the waiting room, I could see why as it was completely full.

I let the receptionist know i hadn't had my TDAP done (thanks to the Christmas period), so she scheduled a Nurse to do it for me before seeing a doctor.

You spend more time in the waiting room than you do being 'examined'. The doctor asked me some pretty standard questions on alcohol use, if I ever did drugs, self-harm.etc. They then ask you to remove your clothes and lie on a bed and they do a visual inspection (I was guessing, looking for anything suspicious), which does include a 'private check'. They then take your blood and let you get dressed again. It was about 4 mins tops I'd say (but felt longer when you're naked - I just stared at a crack in the ceiling whilst the doctor did her thing). I believe the examination is different pending your gender - but I could well be wrong!

After that, I was sent to have an X-ray taken of my chest and then sent back to the receptionist for payment/leaving.

I didn't have to do a urine test (is that new?), and stopped drinking any alcohol about 2-3 weeks before the appointment just to be safe (though I don't drink heavily). I didn't change my eating habits.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by livinginnyc
Hey! I did my medical in Jan of 2015, Embassy interview in March - so hopefully that gives you a time line (Booked the medical a couple of days before xmas 2014).

On the medical front -

The staff were pleasant & professional, but the receptionist wasn't too happy about me arriving 10 minutes early, but let me in as it was raining heavily and took pity on me - Once I got into the waiting room, I could see why as it was completely full.

I let the receptionist know i hadn't had my TDAP done (thanks to the Christmas period), so she scheduled a Nurse to do it for me before seeing a doctor.

You spend more time in the waiting room than you do being 'examined'. The doctor asked me some pretty standard questions on alcohol use, if I ever did drugs, self-harm.etc. They then ask you to remove your clothes and lie on a bed and they do a visual inspection (I was guessing, looking for anything suspicious), which does include a 'private check'. They then take your blood and let you get dressed again. It was about 4 mins tops I'd say (but felt longer when you're naked - I just stared at a crack in the ceiling whilst the doctor did her thing). I believe the examination is different pending your gender - but I could well be wrong!

After that, I was sent to have an X-ray taken of my chest and then sent back to the receptionist for payment/leaving.

I didn't have to do a urine test (is that new?), and stopped drinking any alcohol about 2-3 weeks before the appointment just to be safe (though I don't drink heavily). I didn't change my eating habits.
Yep urine test is supposedly new as of 1st September. For some reason I thought today was the 1st.
Old Sep 4th 2016, 10:31 am
Just Joined

Ah well, I'm sure to be fine for all those things.

By the way, how long from having your interview did you get approval to go? Was it "go home and wait", and if so how long, or was it "here's a stamped thing, go now"?
Old Sep 4th 2016, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Ah well, I'm sure to be fine for all those things.

By the way, how long from having your interview did you get approval to go? Was it "go home and wait", and if so how long, or was it "here's a stamped thing, go now"?
I was told immediately at the end of the interview that it would be approved. It then took best part of a week for my passport to be delivered back to me.
Old Sep 4th 2016, 10:53 am
Just Joined

Nice one, thanks tom.

Reading the horror story posted on this forum has got me worried, but all I can do is provide all the info I have.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.