Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

mcjimbo's journey and POE experience...

Wikiposts

mcjimbo's journey and POE experience...

Old Jun 13th 2004, 6:58 am
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough
Default mcjimbo's journey and POE experience...

Hi everyone,

Well I made it in one piece! I will keep this as brief as i can as i'm busy busy busy at the moment.

I set off from Newbury yesterday with my family at 8am bound for Heathrow. All was going fine until we got to opposite Windsor castle when suddenly my sisters Renault Scenic 4WD started to make a terrible noise from the backend, it then started to vibrate excessively and we pulled over on the hard shoulder. The rear differential had blown and was spewing smoke and oil everywhere. Needless to my sister and partner were not impressed having mentioned a intermittent problem to Renault when it was serviced and repaired the previous week.

So anyway there we were at about 9am on the highway, and my flight was leaving London at 1pm. Luckily my Auntie came to the rescue and picked me up at around 10am. I said my goodbyes to Dave (sister b/f) at the side of the highway, and continued onto Heathrow with auntie and sister. They dropped me off at around 10.20 and we said our goodbyes. It was sad to say goodbye, but great to know that I was going to be seeing Kate in little over 4 weeks at the wedding.

Drama no.2 occurred when I got to Air India to check in. There was a massive line that snaked around the corner of there check in and instantly I began to panic. Turns out there entire check in computer system was down, and they had 3 flights of people to book in, roughly 900 people! After finding out the problem I joined the que and waited. Well things start to go downhill when another passenger verbally abused a attendant who pushed him and a fight almost broke out. I was 12.30pm by the time I finally checked in and my flight was due to leave at 1.15. so I bolted as fast as I could to the terminal. The flight didn't leave Heathrow until 3.30 as we missed our slot and had to wait for everyone to get checked in due to the delay.

I worried the entire flight as I had a tight connection in New York flying at from a different airport to the one I was landing at (JFK). We finally landed at 6.00pm and I didn't get off the plane and through immigration until 6.10pm. I handed the immigration guy my passport and envelope from the embassy which he opened and started to review. He didn't really ask me much and was whistling away while checking everything. He then stamped my passport, and I freaked thinking what aboutt he Temporary work stamp. So I asked "Apparently I can get a temporary work stamp". Well he went off on a rant saying "Look son, your a guest in my country and not entitled to anything, I may opt to give you something but you can't ask me for it". "Ok, sorry". "Follow me". He led me into a white room at the end of all the immigration stalls, handed my envelope contents and passport to a lady at the counter also in immigration who told me to take a seat. 10 minutes later I got called up and recieved my passport back with work stamp! Phew, made the trip via JFK to Milwaukee worth it!

After getting my passport back I bolted to baggage claim. After finally getting my bags it was after 6.30pm. I cleared the airport about 6.50pm. I grabbed the nearest cab I could find and told the guy I needed to get to Laguardia airport sharpish. He was a Bangladeshi immigrant and quite funny, and he knew all the back roads getting my there in record time.

So I made my 7.59pm flight from NY Laguardia to Chicago. I slept the whole flight as I was pretty tired. We arrived early in Chicago so I had to kill about 2 hours before my connection to Milwaukee. So I got some Pizza and read some more of my latest novel. When I went to board our connecting flight to Milwaukee I was a bit freaked out, it was a twin turbo prop plane... which I though resembled a WW2 cargo plane!

Anyway the flight went well, and at 11.30pm, roughly 16 1/2 hours after I started my journey I was with my wife to be. So there's my tale for now, so far today (Sunday) we've just been moving my stuff into Steve (Angie's brothers) house, we are rent the bottom of the house out. We've bought paint and groceries. It feels strange being here and knowing its final, no more lonely return flights to London. The fun begins next week when I have to start setting up my life here, SSN, bank accounts, drivers license and go for a job interview. I will let you know how I get on!

Bye for now, a little jet lagged

James
Old Jun 13th 2004, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

IndyGreg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: mcjimbo's journey and POE experience...

It just wouldn't be right without a bit of drama at the end James.

Welcome to America my friend!
Old Jun 13th 2004, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

whistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by IndyGreg
It just wouldn't be right without a bit of drama at the end James.

Welcome to America my friend!
Woohoo finally on American soil. Good Luck on getting your license etc., thats my job this week as it is getting to be anightmare without a Mass driving licence now.

Love
Giselaxxx
Old Jun 13th 2004, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

anyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really niceanyone4tea is just really nice

\Hey, James, great news that you finally made it!!!

Congratulations for getting there safe and sound, and with your work authorisation!

Have fun getting ready for the wedding!

Kath
xx
Old Jun 13th 2004, 8:22 am
SUPER CRUNCHY BALCONY COW

Hypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond reputeHypertweeky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mcjimbo
Hi everyone,

Well I made it in one piece! I will keep this as brief as i can as i'm busy busy busy at the moment.

I set off from Newbury yesterday with my family at 8am bound for Heathrow. All was going fine until we got to opposite Windsor castle when suddenly my sisters Renault Scenic 4WD started to make a terrible noise from the backend, it then started to vibrate excessively and we pulled over on the hard shoulder. The rear differential had blown and was spewing smoke and oil everywhere. Needless to my sister and partner were not impressed having mentioned a intermittent problem to Renault when it was serviced and repaired the previous week.

So anyway there we were at about 9am on the highway, and my flight was leaving London at 1pm. Luckily my Auntie came to the rescue and picked me up at around 10am. I said my goodbyes to Dave (sister b/f) at the side of the highway, and continued onto Heathrow with auntie and sister. They dropped me off at around 10.20 and we said our goodbyes. It was sad to say goodbye, but great to know that I was going to be seeing Kate in little over 4 weeks at the wedding.

Drama no.2 occurred when I got to Air India to check in. There was a massive line that snaked around the corner of there check in and instantly I began to panic. Turns out there entire check in computer system was down, and they had 3 flights of people to book in, roughly 900 people! After finding out the problem I

James!! What a bunch of hardles!, I am not surprised you made it after what the USCIS put all of us thru!! Wooo Wooo!!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
:PARTY: :PARTY:

What a happy day!!!
Come back soon!!!
Old Jun 13th 2004, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

NevAnna is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome, James Happy to hear your journey was a safe one!
Old Jun 13th 2004, 11:04 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Wonderful to hear you made it over, James! I know the stressful feeling of timing everything just right Welcome to America once and for all!

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jun 13th 2004, 11:39 am
Soon with her AZ guy :)

NSgal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CONGRATS !!!

CONGRATULATUATIONS JAMES !!!

Hopefully I too will soon follow ... my interview is June 21st in Montreal .... Matt is meeting us up there .... and then coming back to Halifax so we can all fly home together on June 26th .... !!!

Once again ... CONGRATS !! and best wishes for a happy future ....

Charlene & Matt
Old Jun 13th 2004, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

jgbreton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CONGRATS !!!

Congrats!!
Old Jun 13th 2004, 12:57 pm
Forum Regular

Nobby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by mcjimbo
Hi everyone,

Drama no.2 occurred when I got to Air India to check in. There was a massive line that snaked around the corner of there check in and instantly I began to panic. Turns out there entire check in computer system was down, and they had 3 flights of people to book in, roughly 900 people! After finding out the problem I joined the que and waited. Well things start to go downhill when another passenger verbally abused a attendant who pushed him and a fight almost broke out. I was 12.30pm by the time I finally checked in and my flight was due to leave at 1.15. so I bolted as fast as I could to the terminal. The flight didn't leave Heathrow until 3.30 as we missed our slot and had to wait for everyone to get checked in due to the delay.

I worried the entire flight as I had a tight connection in New York flying at from a different airport to the one I was landing at (JFK). We finally landed at 6.00pm and I didn't get off the plane and through immigration until 6.10pm. I handed the immigration guy my passport and envelope from the embassy which he opened and started to review. He didn't really ask me much and was whistling away while checking everything. He then stamped my passport, and I freaked thinking what aboutt he Temporary work stamp. So I asked "Apparently I can get a temporary work stamp". Well he went off on a rant saying "Look son, your a guest in my country and not entitled to anything, I may opt to give you something but you can't ask me for it". "Ok, sorry". "Follow me". He led me into a white room at the end of all the immigration stalls, handed my envelope contents and passport to a lady at the counter also in immigration who told me to take a seat. 10 minutes later I got called up and recieved my passport back with work stamp! Phew, made the trip via JFK to Milwaukee worth it!

After getting my passport back I bolted to baggage claim. After finally getting my bags it was after 6.30pm. I cleared the airport about 6.50pm. I grabbed the nearest cab I could find and told the guy I needed to get to Laguardia airport sharpish. He was a Bangladeshi immigrant and quite funny, and he knew all the back roads getting my there in record time.

So I made my 7.59pm flight from NY Laguardia to Chicago. I slept the whole flight as I was pretty tired. We arrived early in Chicago so I had to kill about 2 hours before my connection to Milwaukee. So I got some Pizza and read some more of my latest novel. When I went to board our connecting flight to Milwaukee I was a bit freaked out, it was a twin turbo prop plane... which I though resembled a WW2 cargo plane!

Anyway the flight went well, and at 11.30pm, roughly 16 1/2 hours after I started my journey I was with my wife to be. So there's my tale for now, so far today (Sunday) we've just been moving my stuff into Steve (Angie's brothers) house, we are rent the bottom of the house out. We've bought paint and groceries. It feels strange being here and knowing its final, no more lonely return flights to London. The fun begins next week when I have to start setting up my life here, SSN, bank accounts, drivers license and go for a job interview. I will let you know how I get on!

Bye for now, a little jet lagged

James
Well done mate!!

No more pints in the Dolphin then??

A fellow ex-pat from Newbury.. we spoke by email a while back.

Lucky me.. I now have the 10 year GC!

Good luck and best wishes.
Old Jun 13th 2004, 3:37 pm
The Survivors!!

Clare & Steven is an unknown quantity at this point

CONGRATULATIONS James, so glad you made it through.
Best of luck settling in and making it yours together....sigh, isn't love grand?
Welcome to America!!
Old Jun 13th 2004, 5:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

melody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nice

Congrats on having a safe, but stressful, trip and welcome to the States

Melody
Old Jun 13th 2004, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really nice

Congratulations James..It must be such a great feeling after almost a year of waiting to be with Angie and not have to worry about returning home (sorry back to England !) at the end of the week
I got Linda to sort out my flights from JFK yesterday and also ended up with a detour (via Atlanta ) arriving in Milwaukee at midnight. I was pretty suprised at how expensive the direct evening flights to Milwaukee were. Did you have any problems with bagaage allowance on your internal flights ??. Anyway I hope my journey is less eventful than yours !.

Good luck and have fun.
Niall

Last edited by MrDub; Jun 13th 2004 at 8:43 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2004, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

theangells is an unknown quantity at this point

Congrats ! Hope my flight on Friday will be less "painful" .. ;-)
Old Jun 13th 2004, 9:37 pm
horseradish

lessthanstellar is an unknown quantity at this point

hey james,

when reading your mail i'm right there with you... i can only hope that some time in august i will be taking my journey to minneapolis and can leave this all behind me.

best of luck to you

lessthanstellar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.