Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

May not receive K1 in time for wedding - please help!

Wikiposts

May not receive K1 in time for wedding - please help!

Old Mar 7th 2016, 9:38 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: May not receive K1 in time for wedding - please help!

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I think I just answered this in #12 above.

If you cancel the K-1 you will have to disclose the K-1 on the ESTA form, (cancellation automatically leads to a denial and will likely lead to ESTA being denied for 6-12 months), so yes, just leave it dangling until after your wedding. Afterwards contact the consulate and tell them you're married and the K-1 is unnecessary.
They only got engaged 2 months ago. I'm sure he's not even close to applying for the visa. In this scenario, no visa denial, since it would only be a cancelation of the petition, not the visa.

Rene
Old Mar 7th 2016, 9:39 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
They only got engaged 2 months ago. I'm sure he's not even close to applying for the visa. In this scenario, no visa denial, since it would only be a cancelation of the petition, not the visa. .....
That's good news then.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 11:07 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PandK2016
We misunderstood how long the K1 would take to fully process...
You have misunderstood more than that, I'm afraid. The K-1 will take about 8-10 months so yes, you likely won't have it in time to get married in August.

So we're a little unsure of what to do.
So... moving forward:

1) Your USC fiancée should contact USCIS and tell them she's cancelling the I-129F petition. There is no visa denial because you haven't yet applied for the visa - besides, you couldn't have applied for the visa until after the I-129F has been approved. That said, if she doesn't cancel the I-129F, it will die a natural death when there's been no response to it for a year.

2) It is perfectly legal for you to enter the US on ESTA, get married, and leave after the wedding.

3) After the wedding, you will start the process for a CR-1 spouse visa... the K-1 is dead in the water at that point because you will already be married. The CR-1 visa will take 8-10 months to process. Once you have the visa, you will immediately become a US permanent resident (= green card) the day you enter the US with that visa.

I see that you're concerned about problems entering the US when you come to get married. Sorry, but that's the chance you and everyone else takes when you ask permission to enter the US. It'll help to know that fewer than 1% of travelers are denied permission to enter when using ESTA. It is totally irrational for you to believe that you will be in that 1%.

Ian
Old Mar 7th 2016, 11:45 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
.... It'll help to know that fewer than 1% of travelers are denied permission to enter when using ESTA. It is totally irrational for you to believe that you will be in that 1%. .....
I agree, with the sole exception that I believe the figure for "denied permission to enter" travelers from VWP countries is less than 0.1% (less than one person in one thousand).
Old Mar 8th 2016, 4:50 am
Just Joined

PandK2016 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok great - really helpful all, thanks for your comments

I think we've got it down to 2 main questions/options...

1. Should we cancel the K1, or should we just drag it out so its still processing when I go to america on a holiday?
2. If we do cancel the K1...how do we do that... and is there a risk it would then show up as 'denied' rather than just 'cancelled'?
Old Mar 8th 2016, 5:09 am

Ok great - really helpful all, thanks for your comments

I think we've got it down to 2 main questions/options...

1. Should we cancel the K1, or should we just drag it out so its still processing when I go to america on a holiday?
2. If we do cancel the K1...how do we do that... and is there a risk it would then show up as 'denied' rather than just 'cancelled'?
The answers to these questions are already covered in posts #14-#18, above.
Old Mar 8th 2016, 5:15 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Should we cancel the K1, or should we just drag it out so its still processing when I go to america on a holiday?
If you get married, you will immediately invalidate the entire K-1 process. The K-1 specifically allows you to come to the US to get married and stay to adjust status. If you're already married, you can't get a K-1 visa. It's as simple as that. End of story.

2. If we do cancel the K1...how do we do that...
You have already been given that information. Please read what has already been written.

... is there a risk it would then show up as 'denied' rather than just 'cancelled'?
You can't possibly get a denied visa prior to applying for a visa... and you haven't yet applied for a visa. A cancelled petition has no impact whatsoever on a visa. This has already been explained, and I have already outlined the way forward for you.

Ian
Old Mar 8th 2016, 5:20 am
Just Joined

If you get married, you will immediately invalidate the entire K-1 process. The K-1 specifically allows you to come to the US to get married and stay to adjust status. If you're already married, you can't get a K-1 visa. It's as simple as that. End of story.

You have already been given that information. Please read what has already been written.

You can't possibly get a denied visa prior to applying for a visa... and you haven't yet applied for a visa. A cancelled petition has no impact whatsoever on a visa. This has already been explained, and I have already outlined the way forward for you.

Ian
Hi,
Thanks for the reply - think I'm getting my head around it all.
The only confusing part, is that we have done the initial application for the K1 and its in the 2nd processing office...but that doesn't count as 'applying for the VISA' ? At what point would it stop becoming a petition and become a application for a VISA then?
Old Mar 8th 2016, 5:29 am
Account Closed

... we have done the initial application for the K1...
No, you haven't. That's why you're confused. The I-129F petition verifies the relationship between a US citizen and a non-US citizen. That's all. Once that relationship is verified, then you apply for the visa. You haven't yet applied for the visa and until you do, there can't possibly be a visa denial.

At what point would it stop becoming a petition and become a application for a VISA then?
At no point does that happen. Those are two completely separate steps of the overall process. The petition doesn't magically turn into a visa application. Once the petition is approved, that's the end of that process... and you begin a new process when you then apply for the visa.

Ian
Old Mar 8th 2016, 5:34 am
Just Joined

No, you haven't. That's why you're confused. The I-129F petition verifies the relationship between a US citizen and a non-US citizen. That's all. Once that relationship is verified, then you apply for the visa. You haven't yet applied for the visa and until you do, there can't possibly be a visa denial.

At no point does that happen. Those are two completely separate steps of the overall process. The petition doesn't magically turn into a visa application. Once the petition is approved, that's the end of that process... and you begin a new process when you then apply for the visa.

Ian
Ok great - thanks so much for the help Ian
So there's not actually any need to cancel anything, we just won't do anything more with the petition/application?
Old Mar 8th 2016, 5:55 am
Account Closed

So there's not actually any need to cancel anything, we just won't do anything more with the petition/application?
Correct.

Ian