Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marrying a US Citizen...

Wikiposts

Marrying a US Citizen...

Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:30 am
Just Joined

RWAdams is just really niceRWAdams is just really niceRWAdams is just really niceRWAdams is just really niceRWAdams is just really niceRWAdams is just really niceRWAdams is just really niceRWAdams is just really nice
Default Re: Marrying a US Citizen...

Originally Posted by lansbury
I've really no idea how bad the overstay rate is but I'd be surprised if it wasn't anything but a very small percentage.

They don't need grounds just their opinion that the person will overstay. It can be based on nothing more than intuition. In the case of my sons friend the immigration officer decided she had insufficient funds for her length of stay and that my word that I was covering her living costs was not trustworthy.
I have one quick question.

When applying for a fiance visa for the UK, am I applying for a Visit for marriage, or a settlement for unmarried partner?

Thanks
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:10 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RWAdams
I have one quick question.

When applying for a fiance visa for the UK, am I applying for a Visit for marriage, or a settlement for unmarried partner?

Thanks
Take your pick. You can either enter the US for the sole purpose of getting married to a USC and then turn around and leave the US; or you can enter the US to get married to a USC and then apply to adjust your status to permanent resident (aka, get a green card).

That said, most people use the K1 as the first step on the path to permanent residency, and possibly citizenship. You can technically get married while in the US as a visitor (Vegas, anyone?), but getting married AND STAYING is a whole other matter.

~ Jenney
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:12 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Take your pick. You can either enter the US for the sole purpose of getting married to a USC and then turn around and leave the US; or you can enter the US to get married to a USC and then apply to adjust your status to permanent resident (aka, get a green card).

That said, most people use the K1 as the first step on the path to permanent residency, and possibly citizenship. You can technically get married while in the US as a visitor (Vegas, anyone?), but getting married AND STAYING is a whole other matter.

~ Jenney
Jenney - he is asking about the UK...

Though it is not clear to me whether it is just for the purpose of getting married in the UK, or whether they actually want to live in the UK.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

RWAdams is just really niceRWAdams is just really niceRWAdams is just really niceRWAdams is just really niceRWAdams is just really niceRWAdams is just really niceRWAdams is just really niceRWAdams is just really nice

I want my girlfriend to stay with me in the UK
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:15 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Jenney - he is asking about the UK...

Though it is not clear to me whether it is just for the purpose of getting married in the UK, or whether they actually want to live in the UK.
Hmmph. I guess I missed the "K" in the "UK" part and just assumed he was asking about the US. This isn't a UK immigration forum, after all.

~ Jenney
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Hmmph. I guess I missed the "K" in the "UK" part and just assumed he was asking about the US. This isn't a UK immigration forum, after all.

~ Jenney
I know I was asking for advice and people recommended I tried doing it the other way round, and seeing as people are incredibly knowledgeable I just wanted some advice.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:18 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RWAdams
I know I was asking for advice and people recommended I tried doing it the other way round, and seeing as people are incredibly knowledgeable I just wanted some advice.
Okay, if you are looking to get married in the UK and/or have your wife live with you in the UK, I would suggest that you look at the UK-Yankee forum. They have a section on bringing a foreign spouse to the UK.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 12:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Elvira
Okay, if you are looking to get married in the UK and/or have your wife live with you in the UK, I would suggest that you look at the UK-Yankee forum. They have a section on bringing a foreign spouse to the UK.

Ok thanks