Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marrying a US Citizen...

Wikiposts

Marrying a US Citizen...

Old Jul 7th 2007, 5:19 am
Just Joined

RWAdams is just really niceRWAdams is just really niceRWAdams is just really niceRWAdams is just really niceRWAdams is just really niceRWAdams is just really niceRWAdams is just really niceRWAdams is just really nice
Default Re: Marrying a US Citizen...

She got the Heathrow in Febuary in 2007. She had an interview with an imigration officer. He refused her entry clearance into the country and then she got a flight home the next day(which she didnt pay for). Is this deportation or refusal of entry?
Old Jul 7th 2007, 5:30 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RWAdams
He refused her entry clearance into the country...
Well, this just about says it all.

Is this deportation or refusal of entry?
As I say, it sounds like refusal of entry. To be deported, she would have had to be *in* the UK (ie. admitted)... which, from what you've written, she wasn't. Being refused entry, while annoying and perhaps frustrating, isn't nearly as bad as being deported!

Ian
Old Jul 7th 2007, 5:34 am
Just Joined

RWAdams is just really niceRWAdams is just really niceRWAdams is just really niceRWAdams is just really niceRWAdams is just really niceRWAdams is just really niceRWAdams is just really niceRWAdams is just really nice

So when imigration lawyers breath in through their teeth and say its gona cost ya (reminds me of old mechanics).. they're just trying to get more money for themselfs? Would it be necessery to mention it on an application then? This is for UK btw, sorry to bring this into the US thread.

Last edited by RWAdams; Jul 7th 2007 at 5:37 am.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 5:42 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

So when imigration lawyers breath in through their teeth and say its gona cost ya (reminds me of old mechanics).. they're just trying to get more money for themselfs? Would it be necessery to mention it on an application then? This is for UK btw, sorry to bring this into the US thread.
I think your girlfriend should apply for whatever the correct visa is to come and marry you in the UK (not the visitor visa). Yes, she will declare being "refused entry" (NOT deported) on the application, but I doubt it will have an impact, since she's asking now to be admitted on a more permanent basis...not as a visitor. And I doubt you guys need a lawyer for that.

I'm sure someone here knows the link for applying for a fiance/spouse visa to the UK.

Rene
Old Jul 7th 2007, 5:47 am
Just Joined

I know where to apply for it. I just dont know the appropriate documents to send to make it a better application.
Old Jul 7th 2007, 5:48 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I know where to apply for it. I just dont know the appropriate documents to send to make it a better application.
http://www.britainusa.com/visas/index_visa.asp?i=41000
Old Jul 7th 2007, 6:08 am
Just Joined

cool, it doesnt seem that complicated and I got all the relevant information to support my claim. I might try and apply for it without the help of an agent. Thanks alot everyone you've all been amazingly helpful. I'll let u know how it goes.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 6:57 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

cool, it doesnt seem that complicated and I got all the relevant information to support my claim. I might try and apply for it without the help of an agent. Thanks alot everyone you've all been amazingly helpful. I'll let u know how it goes.
Believe me, it is ***WAY EASIER*** to bring a foreign fiancee to the UK, than it is to bring an 'alien' fiance to the US...

Old Jul 8th 2007, 1:20 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I was curious, does her past refusal to come and visit you, prevent her from applying for the correct visa to come to the UK in order to marry you and stay there? Seems to me she can still apply for that and get it. Thats' probably another option for you.

Rene
I would suspect it would only be a visitors visa that is being refused as the immigration officer who made the original refusal has marked the computer entry that they suspect she was intending to remain in the UK permanently.

Getting a visa to come and get marry would just confirm their previous suspicions, but is unlikely to be refused as there would be no grounds to do so.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lansbury
I would suspect it would only be a visitors visa that is being refused as the immigration officer who made the original refusal has marked the computer entry that they suspect she was intending to remain in the UK permanently.

Getting a visa to come and get marry would just confirm their previous suspicions, but is unlikely to be refused as there would be no grounds to do so.
well, we done the application last night. Now sending off the pending documents and stuff too, so wish me luck and i'll let you all know how it goes.

Thanks for all your help!
Old Jul 8th 2007, 5:39 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I always wonder how many Americans actually DO this.... her being 18 and theoretically footloose and fancy-free would have marked her out as a risk.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 5:34 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

The refusal will be logged in the Home Office Warning Index (HOWI) which is the system immigration officers use when they swipe a passport.

The visa officer at the British Embassy in Washington or the Consulate she applies to has access to HOWI and will see the refusal, so she should declare it if asked either on a form or verbally.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I always wonder how many Americans actually DO this.... her being 18 and theoretically footloose and fancy-free would have marked her out as a risk.
My son had a friend in the US and invited her over, she was refused entry at Gatwick even after the immigration officer phoned me to check the visit was legitimate and I vouched for her and said I was covering the cost of her stay in the UK.

It is a great shame but in my time working alongside immigration officers at Heathrow I found a very considerable majority to be anti American, and they took considerable pleasure in being able to refuse entry to one and would boast having done so. For some reason they had a similar attitude towards white South Africans too.
Old Jul 9th 2007, 6:59 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

It is a great shame but in my time working alongside immigration officers at Heathrow I found a very considerable majority to be anti American, and they took considerable pleasure in being able to refuse entry to one and would boast having done so. For some reason they had a similar attitude towards white South Africans too.
I know this is at their discretion but really, on what grounds? How bad is the overstay rate for Yanks in the UK given that they're given six months anyway, and everything is so bloody expensive that it'd be hard to stay? Sheesh.

First trip I made over my luggage was lost for a couple of DAYS. When it arrived my friend, who'd worked in airport security, said that I was lucky that it had been delayed because it was packed so fully. I always overpack but dang, it was only clothes and shoes!
Old Jul 9th 2007, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I know this is at their discretion but really, on what grounds? How bad is the overstay rate for Yanks in the UK given that they're given six months anyway, and everything is so bloody expensive that it'd be hard to stay? Sheesh.
I've really no idea how bad the overstay rate is but I'd be surprised if it wasn't anything but a very small percentage.

They don't need grounds just their opinion that the person will overstay. It can be based on nothing more than intuition. In the case of my sons friend the immigration officer decided she had insufficient funds for her length of stay and that my word that I was covering her living costs was not trustworthy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.