Wikiposts

Marrying in the UK

Old Dec 20th 2011, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

Marty50 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marrying in the UK

How long do you have to wait when entering the UK to marry you man? I was told it takes three months filing before that can happen. What is the alloted time? Could someone please help. I'm confused.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 1:18 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marrying in the UK

Originally Posted by Marty50
How long do you have to wait when entering the UK to marry you man? I was told it takes three months filing before that can happen. What is the alloted time? Could someone please help. I'm confused.
Do you want to just marry him and then return to the USA? Or do you want to immigrate to the UK?

This is a forum for people who want to come to the USA. You should probably ask your question over at www.uk-yankee.com. They have a similar forum, but for people who want to marry / immigrate to the UK.

Rene
Old Dec 20th 2011, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

I'm not talking about a rush marriage. I thinking about when I go to see him and spend sometime there. I don't want to live there forever. We've known each other since June 13th of this year.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

You need to apply for and receive a fiance visa prior to entering the UK to get married in the UK. I believe that takes about a month. Then there is a residency wait period once you enter the UK before you can get married.

If you are planning to remain in the UK after getting married, there is probably other things you have to apply for.

If he wants to come to the US after marriage, that takes about 8-10 months to complete the paperwork, medical, interview, and approval before he is allowed to immigrate. If he has a criminal background or some other issue, approval can possibly be denied.

Last edited by Michael; Dec 20th 2011 at 1:50 pm.
Old Dec 20th 2011, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, that answers a lot of my questions. But I do have one more. Say I go to the UK and not plan on getting married and it just happens. Then how does that work?
Old Dec 20th 2011, 1:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, that answers a lot of my questions. But I do have one more. Say I go to the UK and not plan on getting married and it just happens. Then how does that work?
Not allowed. In the US that is allowed but not in the UK. Even when getting married in the US, the foreigner should return home and not remain and file for adjustment of status (could be denied and be deported and possibly cause problems in the future when trying to emigrate legally).
Old Dec 20th 2011, 2:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the information. It's much appreciated.
Old Dec 21st 2011, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

DavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond reputeDavidLemon has a reputation beyond repute

But you are obviously planning on it as you have quite clearly stated in your OP.

However the loop hole does not exist for you to exploit im afraid. It can not just happen

Stick to the legal process like glue and you will not get into any troubles.