Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marrying on tourist visa question

Wikiposts

Marrying on tourist visa question

Old Dec 30th 2009, 6:30 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marrying on tourist visa question

Originally Posted by rothwell
Edit:
@ meauxna
Just wondering, you said that in the future I would be able to enter the US as a permanent resident with a spouse visa?
In that case, what would I do? Go to the embassy and apply for a spouse visa with our marriage certificate? Would this (pretty much) grant me the right to a spouse visa? This seems to me like a much better option than a fiance -> spouse visa... the transfer to a spouse visa from a fiance one is apparently long, whilst if I just get married and then come back I can be on a PR already? :S It seems to me like one can miss out a lot of waiting around if they have enough money to marry, leave, apply for spouse visa and then go back... money really does quicken things up xD
Thanks again
I know this is a later reply to this question but there you go.

The Immigrant Visa for a spouse does result in Permanent Resident (green card) status from the day you enter with it.
The process is very generally described here: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/CR-1
There's quite a bit more to it than just your marriage certificate (that is one reason I suggested opening the joint bank account on one of your visits here.. it will be handy evidence. Seems it will also have some other uses for you!)

I agree with you that this can be a more sensible approach when the immigrant is the bread-winner and needs to be able to work immediately and hit the ground running.
Since the immigrant visa application process takes about 8-10 months start to finish, you should, as you noted, start it at about the time you give your one year notice at work/army.

Good luck!