Marrying on tourist visa question

Wikiposts

Marrying on tourist visa question

Old Dec 28th 2009, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

rothwell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marrying on tourist visa question

Originally Posted by Rete
Why the rush to marry if you cannot be with your wife and step children for several years. Would not be better served just continuing your relationship as it is and then marrying when you know you can be with them without having to leave them?
Why even get married? Nowadays many people don't bother with it.
That question is something personal really, but I will answer.
Last time I saw her, we had sex without contraception, and as a result she is pregnant. I come from a good background with old-fashioned views on family, and I don't want my child to be without father on the birth certificate. So if we get married I will be on it. Only have 7 months left, so there is a rush to get it sorted quickly... So yeah...

I mean I could apply for paternity under the wedlock rules, BUT we want the child to have my name etc, loads of things. Plus, its nice to say "Yeah, we are married and we made this child together." rather than "We had this kid but we aren't married". Just my opinion on it all really...

Last edited by rothwell; Dec 28th 2009 at 1:18 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rothwell
Why even get married?
The easy answer is....

Because you aren't able to move permanently to the US until you do.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 1:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I come from a good background with old-fashioned views on family...
To live up to my moniker, and without being too crass... methinks not too old-fashioned.

Ian
Old Dec 28th 2009, 2:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Wonderful, congratulations on the pending birth. That's a damn good reason for rushing the wedding. I'm old fashioned myself and agree with marriage when a child is involved. It may not be the way for others but it appears to be the way for you, me and my daugthers

So fly over on a Wednesday, apply for the license on Thursday and have the wedding on Friday or Saturday and back home with you on Sunday or Monday.

What kind of wedding does she want?

Why even get married? Nowadays many people don't bother with it.
That question is something personal really, but I will answer.
Last time I saw her, we had sex without contraception, and as a result she is pregnant. I come from a good background with old-fashioned views on family, and I don't want my child to be without father on the birth certificate. So if we get married I will be on it. Only have 7 months left, so there is a rush to get it sorted quickly... So yeah...

I mean I could apply for paternity under the wedlock rules, BUT we want the child to have my name etc, loads of things. Plus, its nice to say "Yeah, we are married and we made this child together." rather than "We had this kid but we aren't married". Just my opinion on it all really...
Old Dec 28th 2009, 2:17 pm
Just Joined

In ref to BritishGuy, I was being slightly sarcastic xD
I'm all go on marriage, but some people aren't.

@ Rete
What she wants is a full white dress wedding. What she says is "I don't care about that, we need the money."
But last time I was there, I saw all the brides' and wedding type magazines stashed underneath the couch. And I can just hear it in her voice. So even though it will hit hard on my wallet, I'm going to make the day as perfect as possible. Not just for her, for me as well... I only plan on having one wedding day xD

I can't wait, although I'm not looking forward to looking at the ATM machine afterwards, although I will try to get the wedding about 3 days before I get paid, so that I know I will have enough cash... Will set up a joint bank account too so that she can access it, or use my JPA facility to split my salary.

Anyways, thanks for the guidance

People really are nice here.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 2:25 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Have her look at David's Bridal. My co-worker's daughter got married end of November being 7 months pregnant. She found the perfect wedding dress there and it was $350. Also tell her to try ebay or any consignment shops in the area.

Last edited by Rete; Dec 28th 2009 at 2:31 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Have her look at David's Bridal. My co-worker's daughter got married end of November being 7 months pregnant. She found the perfect wedding dress there and it was $350. Also tell her to try ebay or any consignment shops in the area.
I will do
Thanks Rete!
God its 3:30 and im still not asleep! I'm going to have to go... will definetly post some tomorrow

Laters and Night
Old Dec 28th 2009, 4:41 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Marian got a lovely bias-cut silk dress from the 1930s on eBay for $65, and she looked absolutely beautiful in it.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 11:58 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Marian got a lovely bias-cut silk dress from the 1930s on eBay for $65, and she looked absolutely beautiful in it.

My daughter got hers on ebay as well but for $75. She looked gorgeous.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 1:53 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Trying to figure out if this is a contradiction, is consistent, or what ....
For some reason I thought that "good background with old-fashioned views on family" required no sex until after marriage.

we had sex without contraception, ..... I come from a good background with old-fashioned views on family, ....
Old Dec 29th 2009, 3:04 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Trying to figure out if this is a contradiction, is consistent, or what ....
For some reason I thought that "good background with old-fashioned views on family" required no sex until after marriage.

That has been pointed out by Ian earlier. Now may we leave the gentleman alone. Even in Victorian times pre-martial sex was condoned as long as it was discreet.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 3:15 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

My dress was not a typical wedding gown( because that wasn't what I wanted)but I got it on clearance at Macy's. It was originally $399 and after markdowns and coupons it was $19 !!!
Old Dec 29th 2009, 4:22 am
Concierge

Just for the heck of it I checked out e-bay.

I can't believe the beautiful dresses, variety of sizes, and how inexpensive they are.

Last edited by Rete; Dec 30th 2009 at 6:55 am. Reason: removed URL
Old Dec 29th 2009, 5:46 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

They do have a great selection. Even if you need alterations it would still cost alot less than buying from a retail store.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 6:35 am
Just Joined

Just a quick reply to the funny post back...

Yes, it is a little unorthodox to the traditional view that I hold. However, the way we look at things is very much about not bringing the family name down. We had sex, something which is fine to do but not talk about if you see what I mean?

Anyway, I'm off again for a while!

Rothwell

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.