Reload this Page >

marrying my american boyfreind on a 1-94-help

Wikiposts

marrying my american boyfreind on a 1-94-help

Old Aug 16th 2009, 6:09 am
Just Joined

sarzd78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default marrying my american boyfreind on a 1-94-help

I am from the UK and I met my american boyfreind whilst doing a year internship overthere a while ago. I have returned home and after many trips back to america and hes been here, i want to start a life with him properly. Now i have been researching forever about all the different k-1 visas etc.BUT i have booked another flight to see him and i want to marry him then as i couldnt bare any more goodbyes at the airport. So this will mean i will be overthere purely on a 1-94 waiver visa. i know this is frowned apon but people still do it.... and i want to know what people do and what i should expect, money...how long it takes, when i will be able to get a job and if there is a chance this will definately work out for us? any help would be appreciated.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 6:36 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: marrying my american boyfreind on a 1-94-help

Originally Posted by sarzd78
I am from the UK and I met my american boyfreind whilst doing a year internship overthere a while ago. I have returned home and after many trips back to america and hes been here, i want to start a life with him properly. Now i have been researching forever about all the different k-1 visas etc.BUT i have booked another flight to see him and i want to marry him then as i couldnt bare any more goodbyes at the airport. So this will mean i will be overthere purely on a 1-94 waiver visa. i know this is frowned apon but people still do it.... and i want to know what people do and what i should expect, money...how long it takes, when i will be able to get a job and if there is a chance this will definately work out for us? any help would be appreciated.
Hi sarzd, Welcome to BE.

What you are planning to do is illegal. You cannot travel to the USA on the VWP with the intent to remain in the USA and adjust status to permanent resident.

What you CAN legally do, is come to the USA on the VWP, get married (that part is fine and legal), file the I-130 towards your immigrant visa, and then go back to the UK before the VWP expires. You'll then follow the process for an Immigrant Visa from the UK, and you will be able to enter the USA legally with the correct intent once you have that visa in hand.

Yes, it means spending time apart...but you've been doing that already...another 6 months or so won't kill you. And, you'll be doing everything the legal way, above board, and nothing will come back to bite you in the long run. I think it's well worth it.

For more information and MANY debates about it, research the forum for the phrase (VWP express or 10-foot-pole).

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Aug 16th 2009, 6:51 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

You post so many contradictions.. what do you want to do?

You want to start a life properly. Great, think visa.
You have booked a flight because you want to marry him ASAP. But then you say you can't 'bare' (sic) anymore good byes? You'd have to leave, married or not.
The I-94w is most definitely not a visa, I think that's a problem for you.

Get a job? What is it exactly you're asking about? How to immigrate illegally?
Old Aug 16th 2009, 7:19 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I am from the UK and I met my american boyfreind whilst doing a year internship overthere a while ago.
Sadly, the US doesn't have an "I want to do things my way" visa. What you are planning is illegal... and, therefore, *not* the way to "start a life with him properly". I suggest you get a stranglehold on your hormones and bite the bullet.

BUT i have booked another flight to see him and i want to marry him then as i couldnt bare any more goodbyes at the airport.
Marriage is fine... but there will be at least one more goodbye at the airport. You either leave, or you will forever be waiting for the day when the knock on the door comes!

i know this is frowned apon but people still do it...
Have you ever wondered why it's frowned upon? It's because when things go wrong, they go utterly, horribly, nightmarishly wrong. You are *totally* screwed. No appeals, no way to make things better, and a possible lifetime ban from the US... and being married to a US citizen won't help you one single iota. Perhaps your tolerance for risk is higher than most... but it can and does happen. We, who have been here a long time, have seen it happen more and more often.

there is a chance this will definately work out for us?
There is absolutely no guarantee that it will "definitely" work out for you. There's no guarantee even when you do things legally, but at least if you do things legally, there are avenues available to fix the situation. When you enter on the VWP, there are *no* such avenues available. You sign away your rights when you sign the I-94W.

Ian
Old Aug 16th 2009, 8:29 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

.......... if there is a chance this will definately work out for us? any help would be appreciated.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 3:30 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

s,

Long-term unemployment is at record levels in the USA these days. Many people are finding themselves humming "The Twelfth of Never" these days. So if this an important issue for you, be prepared.

Regards, JEff

... when i will be able to get a job .....