Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marrying a foreigner who's here on a work visa

Wikiposts

Marrying a foreigner who's here on a work visa

Old Oct 24th 2004, 5:11 pm
Bishop John MightBe

MightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond reputeMightBe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marrying a foreigner who's here on a work visa

Originally Posted by Anon
Pierre Abbat wrote:

>
    > Not what I asked. The interview cannot happen until at least six months
    > after we get married, so if we get married and she loses her job between
    > the

Why does it have to not happen until 6 months?
It happens when they schedule it.

The answer is simple. If there is no enough income to qualify, then get
someone to act a a co sponsor.

Maybe you should start looking for a job that will pay enough money so
you won't need to worry about her income.
The required income for 2004 was just over $150000 per year. If she
loses her job, are you living in a place where your potential spouse
would be unable to find a job paying minimum wage? The two of you,
earning minimum wage, should be able to make the income requirement easily.
The required income for 2004 is $15,612 for two people. Ithink Anon got an extra 0 in there.
Why the concern about her income. It will be your wife .
Be a man about it.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 1:10 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pierre Abbat
I'm asking because I'm considering looking for my wife among foreigners who are in the USA. I haven't found her yet, but I'd like to find out what's involved.
Do you have a printout of the "foreigners who are in the USA"? You don't seem to make a distinction between legal foreigners and illegal foreigners - does it matter to you? What if you make a mistake and fall in love with someone who isn't a foreigner? What then? Do you have a contingency plan for this scenario? It seems to me you haven't thought this through very well. Oh, wait... if you "find out what's involved" will those answers help you determine which specific foreigner you want to hook up with?

Ian
Old Oct 25th 2004, 5:40 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Pierre Abbat says:
Not what I asked. The interview cannot happen until at least six months
after we get married, so if we get married and she loses her job between
the marriage and the interview, where does that leave us?
-----------------------

OK, you're saying 'it must be 6 months after marriage because if it is before, her income won't count and I don't make enough'.

Where does that leave you? Hungry, for starters. Or out looking for a second job. How ya gettin' by now on less than 16K a year?
If she loses her job would you not want her anymore? Or are you afraid she'd be taken away from you?
Old Oct 25th 2004, 5:59 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Pierre Abbat says:
Not what I asked. The interview cannot happen until at least six months
after we get married, so if we get married and she loses her job between
the marriage and the interview, where does that leave us?
-----------------------

OK, you're saying 'it must be 6 months after marriage because if it is before, her income won't count and I don't make enough'.

Where does that leave you? Hungry, for starters. Or out looking for a second job. How ya gettin' by now on less than 16K a year?
If she loses her job would you not want her anymore? Or are you afraid she'd be taken away from you?
Hmmm...Pierre already has issues with the USCIS in that he is expecting to be able to plan when his interview will be (which he can't do), and he hasn't even started looking for Ms. Right? It's good that he's doing his research ahead of time, no doubt, but it could be years before he finds Ms. Right and by then immigration rules could change - and for sure the minimum poverty guideline amounts will change!

Pierre, if your interview is less than 6 months from the time you started living together, and you don't make the required amount of money on your own, you will have to either find a co-sponsor or find a second job to make the appropriate income. If your interview is more than 6 months after, and your wife loses her job (or doesn't have a job for whatever reason) before the interview, and you still don't make the requirement amount of money, you will have to either find a co-sponsor or find a second job to make the appropriate income. This is what people keep telling you. Listen to us.

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Oct 25th 2004 at 6:02 am. Reason: added info.
Old Oct 25th 2004, 6:41 am
Anon

Noorah101 wrote:

>
    > Hmmm...Pierre already has issues with the USCIS in that he is expecting
    > to be able to plan when his interview will be (which he can't do), and
    > he hasn't even started looking for Ms. Right?

Pierre likes to think of problems that might come up way down the rode
For instance, what would happen if the kid, that he might have someday),
need to learn sign language?
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=g:...azon.dynip.com