Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marrying an American Girl

Wikiposts

Marrying an American Girl

Old Jun 22nd 2009, 10:45 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marrying an American Girl

Originally Posted by the scotsman
During my time off i would be looking at spending my time in the US but not working. Is this allowed?
It's allowed....but making that many trips back-to-back like that could get you turned away at the POE eventually.

You also have to make sure you can be back in your home country when the time comes to request your police report, turn in your visa application paperwork, get your medical done, and attend your visa interview.

Also another option would be to work in the gulf of mexico, Is either of these optioned wort looking at?
Sure, I don't see that it makes a difference where your work is located. The same paragraph applies as above.

Rene
Old Jun 22nd 2009, 10:48 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marrying an American Girl

Originally Posted by the scotsman
Thanks for you help guys,
After considering the previous reply's i have tried to come up with another solution. if my wife was to file a petition on my behalf. I understand this could take 8-10 months, I am looking at working back in europe on a offshore month on month off rotation. During my time off i would be looking at spending my time in the US but not working. Is this allowed? Also another option would be to work in the gulf of mexico, Is either of these optioned wort looking at?
Probably the most sensible thing to do is decide when you want to immigrate to the US and then build your plan off of that. As in, file about 10-12 months before you want to move.

You can always visit the US, even with a petition pending, but you may not LIVE in the US during that time, work or no work. In fact, there was a recent poster who had the unfortunate experience of being turned back at the border and formally banned from returning. He works off shore, has a GF (NOT spouse) in the US and they don't want to marry, just keep their independent relationship and he was spending bursts here like you describe.

So, there is a line between you having a home outside the US and visiting, and the US being your perm. home.

Based on the relative complexity of your situation and your goals with work etc, you should really be considering a lawyer conversation if you haven't had one yet.

If you did the month on/off as described, you would need permission to be living in the US in your off time; that isn't a tourist activity.
Gulf rotations are often 3 weeks on, 1 off, but it depends on what you do. Same situation though- if you are living in the US, you need permission to do so, even if you aren't here every day.

Part of being admitted as a visitor is to have a home OUTside the US that you do not intend to abandon. You just have an extra special life and different than usual requirements. It's solvable, but you are falling out of do it yourself territory into the arena where *I* would want professional counsel if I were in your shoes. Make sense?