Wikiposts

marrying an american

Old May 18th 2009, 4:33 am
Just Joined

british trucker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default marrying an american

im marrying my american girl friend in june and want to move over there as soon as posible can any one give me an idea what i need to do and how long its going to take before we can live together?
Old May 18th 2009, 4:37 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: marrying an american

Originally Posted by british trucker
im marrying my american girl friend in june and want to move over there as soon as posible can any one give me an idea what i need to do and how long its going to take before we can live together?
Congratulations!

Here's the basic outline; there is nothing you can start immigration-wise until you're married. As soon as your new wife can get her hands on your recorded marriage certificate, she can send in the I-130, the first part.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/CR-1

It will be about 8-10 months before you have a visa to move to the US.
Old May 18th 2009, 4:41 am
Just Joined

does it really take that long to process it and what are the costs going to be have you any idea?
Old May 18th 2009, 4:45 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

does it really take that long to process it and what are the costs going to be have you any idea?
It *may* be less than that, but you should estimate on the conservative side of things.
Yes, you can visit while you are waiting, but you can not move to the US before you get your visa.

The costs are.. hmm, I-130 fee is about $400, visa fee is that much again, the medical is almost that much again, and then it's just dribs and drabs that add up. I think we spent close to $2000 but we had more travel to the Embassy than most people. I generally estimate around $1500.
Old May 18th 2009, 4:45 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it really takes that long. Ballpark cost for total immigration from start to finish...around $2,000.

Your other alternative is to do a K-1 fiance visa, so that you can come to the USA, marry your fiancee, and stay in the USA after marriage. That process takes a bit less time, around 6 - 8 months, so you won't be marrying in June if you do that route.

Rene
Old May 18th 2009, 4:49 am
Just Joined

thanx for your replies it looks like theres no quick solution to this and we are in for a long haul then.
would it be easier if she was to move to england for a while then us both move back or would there be the same problems we just want to be together
Old May 18th 2009, 4:54 am

It *is* much faster to get a visa TO the UK; if you want to marry in the UK, she needs a special visa for that (can no longer switch from a tourist entry, just like the US).
It's expensive; you can find out more about that route at talk.uk-yankee.com

Of course none of that matters if you want to live in the US.

A fiance visa to the US would not take so long, and if your work is more flexible than hers, you could spend a couple of months over here visiting while you are waiting.
Of course, the practical old lady in me says this is the perfect time to put your head down, work and save up maximum funds for your move and eventual unemployment here.

What is 'best' for each family is different; there isn't an easy answer to give you.
Old May 18th 2009, 4:59 am
Just Joined

we have the wedding all booked in us now. not sure which way to turn now as was told after we get married i'd be alowed back to live there in weeks not months or maybe not even have to leave at all. but that advice seams all wrong now
Old May 18th 2009, 5:04 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

we have the wedding all booked in us now. not sure which way to turn now as was told after we get married i'd be alowed back to live there in weeks not months or maybe not even have to leave at all. but that advice seams all wrong now
Who gave you that advice?

If you already have everything booked for June, you can't get out of it without costing money, and you have your heart set on that particular wedding date...then come on over on the VWP, get married, stay your <90 days and enjoy your time together as newlyweds.

As soon as you have the certified copy of the marriage certificate in hand, file the I-130 and all backup documents and get the ball rolling on your Immigrant Visa.

If you can file the I-130 in June, you're looking at moving to the USA around Feb - April 2010. Yes, you can visit the USA on the VWP while you wait. So...if you marry in June and stay until September, come back for another visit in December for the holidays, you'll make it back to the UK around February in time to get your medical done and attend the visa interview, and THEN you can fully move to the USA.

She can also visit you in the UK while you wait.

Not a bad plan, eh?
Old May 18th 2009, 5:08 am
Just Joined

thanx for that advice it looks like the only option we have right now seeing as the invites are out and everything is booked
Old May 18th 2009, 5:10 am

If you already have some information, please share it instead of working your first post (which made it sound like you have no information).
It helps us give better information if we know how much or how little you know, and where you learned it.

This group is a bunch of self-educated DIYers for the most part, we're not an advice service or here to be tested.
Old May 18th 2009, 5:12 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

For when you go through immigration......
Make sure you have an absolute shed load of evidence showing remaining ties to the UK and a return ticket back to the UK.
Old May 18th 2009, 5:13 am
Just Joined

i'm only going on one friends have said
Old May 18th 2009, 5:58 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

i'm only going on one friends have said

Well, your friend doesn't know what they are talking about unfortunately. It would have been very wise of either you or your USC fiancee to at least spend the money on a consultation with an immigration attorney or do your own research at least before you got to this stage.

As others have said you can come in for the wedding, but know what you are doing at the POE before you arrive here with a tux and your dancing shoes and your plane load of relatives. DO NOT VOLUNTEER ANY INFORMATION AT THE POE THAT YOU ARE COMING HERE TO GET MARRIED. Do not lie if you are asked just don't volunteer it. Bring loads of evidence that you are going back home in 90 days. Letter from your employer stating you are on holiday, rental lease, bills, whatever. If you are thought by the agent to have any immigration intent they will turn you around and you will not be attending your own wedding.
Old May 18th 2009, 6:00 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
It would have been very wise of either you or your USC fiancee to at least spend the money on a consultation with an immigration attorney
I think they should do it the day after they have gotten married.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.