Wikiposts

To marry or not?

Old Dec 26th 2001, 4:26 am
Katie

Hiya, all,

As with most who post here, I'm after some help and advice. I'm 44 UKC and my now
fiance is 26 USC. We've been together two years come January. We met over the
internet January 2000, emailed and met up August 2000. Two weeks at a time I came
here again November 2000, February 2001 and May 2001, and yes, we fell in love.
Inbetween all this, we posted letters to each other, phoned every day and continued
our emailing.

I arrived on a uk waiver visa in August 2001 and enjoyed 8 weeks with my boyfriend. I
returned to the uk for three weeks in October 2001and then returned to the US in
November 2001. I'm due to fly back to the uk at the end of January. Midnite,
Christmas Eve, I opened what had been a huge box for me under our Christms tree. A
box within a box... and four boxes later I was opening a proposal of marriage. Of
course, through tears I accepted and am now proudly wearing the ring.

What to do now then?

I want things to be right. I want to enjoy being married without worrying whether I
will have to leave. So, K1 route... or marry before January end and apply to change
status? I didn't enter this country at any time with the intentions of getting
engaged, let alone married. We don't want to be apart any more, and if we were to
marry before January's end what problems are we bringing down on ourselves? The phone
had been red hot with all our family and friends wishing us well. Can we marry and
apply for me to stay here, thus avoiding months apart while awaiting K1 approval?

We have the age difference (which isn't a problem for us) , a seven year old arrest
of mine where I was released after questioning (no cautions, no court appearances or
convictions), and though my previous marriage broke down three years ago, my divorce
has only just been finalised. Will any of that go against us? His income is well
above the poverty levels and his job is steady. His family and my family are all
happy for us and have been a great support over the last two years.

Can anyone tell us what will happen if we marry? Will I be allowed to change status
(Vermont SC) and continue the life we've enjoyed so far without having to return to
the uk to spend months apart? Or will they refuse, sending me back to the uk with a
deportation stamp on my passport? What we have is genuine, and we have taken our
time to make sure of that. We're in love and have been for the best part of two
years. Like so many on here we now want to be together but with as much peace of
mind as possible.

Any advice please...?

~katie~

Old Dec 26th 2001, 6:24 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can marry and adjust status. Not at the Vermont Service Center, however. But at the local INS office covering your fiancee's living jurisdiction.

Suggest you read very carefully the following URLs to understand the multiple filings you will be doing and the documentation you will be required to submit with each and every application/petition.

-130/I-485 Helpsite at:
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Congress/2806/

Rita
Old Dec 26th 2001, 8:02 am
Michael Voight

What do you mean "deported"?? Are you suggesting she go back to UK and come back as
the result of a I-129 or I-130, or she will be deported? Or, are you suggesting she
stay here, get married, and adjust status??

Michael

RCol320618 wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Dec 26th 2001, 8:11 am
Rcol320618

There are only two way's a K! visa or a spousal visa, I-130. If you don't not follow
this route you will not be able to stay here and will be deported, or if you over
stay your visit you will most likely be denied a visa using either one of the ways
suggested. You can marry in the UK and apply for direct consular filling,this could
be faster but you would need to check if the embassy in the UK will do this first.
Good luck to you, just make sure you follow the rules,there are no exceptions or
loop holes.

RWC

Old Dec 26th 2001, 8:23 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default CORRECTION OF TYPO

DO NOT LISTEN TO RWC

He/she is incorrect. There is no penalty for a foreigner to marry a USC while here on a tourist visa, work visa, student visa or under the visa waiver program.

If RWC were to read the I-485, they would know that to be fact.

It is not a loop hole technically and it is permitted. You are here in the US already so get married and file for adjustment of status.

Rita
Old Dec 26th 2001, 1:18 pm
Grinch

RCol,

Before you reply to any post in this group please ensure you have some idea what you
are talking about.

To the original poster,

Ignore this fool. More people marry whilst in the US and adjust status than submit
K1's or I-130's.

Grinch

>
not
    >
or if
    >
either one
    >
consular
    >
the
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Dec 27th 2001, 2:47 am
Forum Regular

ralph is an unknown quantity at this point

RCol must be Andrew DeFaria with a new screen name.

ralph

Originally posted by Grinch
RCol,

Before you reply to any post in this group please ensure you have some idea what you
are talking about.

To the original poster,

Ignore this fool. More people marry whilst in the US and adjust status than submit
K1's or I-130's.

Grinch

>
not
    >
or if
    >
either one
    >
consular
    >
the
    >
    >
    >
    >
Old Dec 27th 2001, 6:56 pm
Grinch

>

This is possible, although Mr dumb****ia sometimes posts accurate stuff. Bullshit
stuff but accurate bullshit stuff.

Grinch