Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Married within 90days on VWP but forms not submitted

Married within 90days on VWP but forms not submitted

Old Dec 1st 2015, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Married within 90days on VWP but forms not submitted

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Should you not be peeved with yourself? It was your decision to exit the country after getting married (you did go down the CR-1 route?) just as it was mine.

We discussed marriage prior to the trip when I actually proposed and we organised our wedding on the same trip.
I wouldn't say ours was pre-planned but it was in the offing. I commissioned my brother to make an engagement ring prior to the trip but we hadn't planned on marrying just getting engaged.

Was I prepared to risk adjusting from the VWP and overstaying? No. Besides anything else I am a grown man who had loose ends to tie up in the UK prior to making the move.

It may rankle that the OP might be living with his wife whilst you and I spent time apart from ours but that was our decision to do so. I, for one, believe that our wait was justified as a refusal for Adjustment from the authorities would be a far bigger hurdle than any RFE's that may present themselves going down the CR-1 route.
I wish the OP good luck in his journey to Permanent Residency status, may it be as smooth a trip as mine, and yours, was.
I also wish the OP the very best for the future, and as you said I had the option.

My wife works with someone who is following the 'spur of the moment' route, and her husband is here on a 'ooops overstay'

It is what it is, but I remain p*ssed off, I think its my age!! I'm happy being grumpy
Old Dec 1st 2015, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Heading_Baltimore is an unknown quantity at this point

Several people are peed off with the OP alleging that he tried to game the system while they went through the 'right' route. OP has stated his 'case' and wanted advice. What he did is not illegal and he is allowed to change his mind minutes or hours or days or weeks after crossing the POE on whether he wants to stay or return home. We call that choice.

Like some said here it is highly unlikely to have an adverse effect on his AOS outcome and we all should wish him well. I too like most came with the K1, which was a long process. I am not peed with OP that he chose this route as nothing in life is black or white, and it is what it is - quoting from dj6372 - but not p*ssed off. Good luck OP.

Last edited by Heading_Baltimore; Dec 1st 2015 at 5:21 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 5:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heading_Baltimore
Several people are peed off with the OP alleging that he tried to game the system while they went through the 'right' route. OP has stated his 'case' and wanted advice. What he did is not illegal and he is allowed to change his mind minutes or hours or days or weeks after crossing the POE on whether he wants to stay or return home. We call that choice. ......
That said, the USCIS officer might not believe him and might send him back to the UK and having entered on the VWP he has no right of appeal. Personally I don't care either way, but there is a risk to what the OP is trying to do, and I cannot in good conscience tell him "yeah, it's all great, you'll have no problem" when there is a chance that things might blow up, especially when there is a "zero risk" alternative route.

And honestly, if someone who comes asking for advice and gets a warning of the risk they are running, I don't know why they would complain if they are warned of the risk - isn't that why people come looking for advice?
Old Dec 1st 2015, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

Heading_Baltimore is an unknown quantity at this point

True Pulaski, but several posters here getting uptight on OP's action when there is no need for such. OP was told about possible risk and it should be left at that.
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 3:28 pm
Forum Regular

DottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond repute

I genuinely believe OP came here with the intent but that's not something we will ever know.

OP has not done anything that any other board member had the option to do. He is taking a risk and it may work out for him but as many others have pointed out it may not and with that decision would come devastating consequences. If it were unsuccessful I would hope he shared his experience to help warn others of the issues in such a decision.

Ultimately everyone can choose to go down the same option as OP, as pointed out, if the facts are correct he has done nothing wrong. I guess most members, myself included, wouldn't take such a high risk when the rewards are minimal. I too plan only to ever marry once so getting to spend every day with my wife for my life is far more important than cheating the system for a few extra months together.

Best of luck to the OP and I would be very intrigued to hear how your AOS progresses!
Old Sep 16th 2016, 11:33 pm
Just Joined

matty.davis1985 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you to everyone that gave me information and advice throughout this process.
For those who were interested in hearing the outcome, see below:

08/11/15: I Married my Beautiful Wife
03/10/16: I-130 Case Submitted
03/23/16: I-130 Case Received by USCIS
04/02/16: I-485 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled
04/18/16: I-485 Biometrics Appointment Attended
05/03/16: I-485 Request for Initial Evidence Sent by USCIS
06/01/16: I-485 Initial Evidence Received by USCIS
06/13/16: I-765 EAD Card Sent
08/01/16: I-485 Interview Invitation Sent
09/08/16: I-485 Interview Attended
09/12/16: I-485 Approved
09/15/16: I-485 Permanent Residency Card Sent by USCIS
09/16/16: I-485 Letter of Approval Received
Old Sep 17th 2016, 12:31 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Lucky. Very Lucky.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 2:33 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matty.davis1985
My employer was disappointed that I had taken the option of an extended holiday, because I was an experienced member of the team, but it was in the hospitality/bar industry, so they will be fine.
I do not know the process that you are pursuing, but I would guess that communication between yourself and your employer, were your employer expresses their disappointment, would help substantiate your claim.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 2:59 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I do not know the process that you are pursuing, but I would guess that communication between yourself and your employer, were your employer expresses their disappointment, would help substantiate your claim.
The OP just resurrected the thread to say his permanent residency has been approved.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

DottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond reputeDottM has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you to everyone that gave me information and advice throughout this process.
For those who were interested in hearing the outcome, see below:

08/11/15: I Married my Beautiful Wife
03/10/16: I-130 Case Submitted
03/23/16: I-130 Case Received by USCIS
04/02/16: I-485 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled
04/18/16: I-485 Biometrics Appointment Attended
05/03/16: I-485 Request for Initial Evidence Sent by USCIS
06/01/16: I-485 Initial Evidence Received by USCIS
06/13/16: I-765 EAD Card Sent
08/01/16: I-485 Interview Invitation Sent
09/08/16: I-485 Interview Attended
09/12/16: I-485 Approved
09/15/16: I-485 Permanent Residency Card Sent by USCIS
09/16/16: I-485 Letter of Approval Received
Can I ask? Why did it take so long to submit your case? Married in august but you never submitted until march?
Old Sep 17th 2016, 3:02 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Lucky. Very Lucky.
Not lucky really. This is how USCIS works. It is rare that a spouse of a USC is denied adjustment. One can get the adjudicator who looks deeply into the spouse's life in the foreign country and digs for points that might unearth prior intent but, again, it is rare to find one that does that.

Oops, sorry we are not allowed to say these things. Should I delete this post?
Old Sep 17th 2016, 6:50 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Especially in the OP's case, where the requirement of the the visa was fulfilled...they got married within 90 days. There is no requirement to file AOS within any specific time. So it wasn't luck...it was the law.

Rene
Old Sep 17th 2016, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Especially in the OP's case, where the requirement of the the visa was fulfilled...they got married within 90 days. There is no requirement to file AOS within any specific time. So it wasn't luck...it was the law.

Rene
But he was on a VWP opposed to a K1 visa?
Old Sep 17th 2016, 7:27 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I entered the country marginally over 90 days ago using the visa waiver program, married my wife, but am now technically outside of my authorised stay and we haven't yet submitted the forms (medical records taking forever from the UK, plus everything closing down over thanksgiving)

Would the fact that I am technically in an illegal status affect our chances of our petition being accepted?
Originally Posted by DottM

If you start at the beginning of the thread and read all the way through, all will be revealed.
Old Sep 17th 2016, 7:57 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DottM
Oh, sorry...my bad...you are right.

Rene

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.