Married in USA then Moved to UK for 5 years

Wikiposts

Married in USA then Moved to UK for 5 years

Old Jun 5th 2007, 11:22 am
Just Joined

cleagt350 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Married in USA then Moved to UK for 5 years

Hi All,

I am new to this board and would hopefully get some feedback as well as helping others.
I married a British citizen then moved to UK from 2002-2006- I recevied an indefinate to remain in UK stamp in my passport.

Unfortunately, my husband of those years assaulted me - and I fled back to USA- nightmare but will not get into all that. I have legal aid here but can I still keep my stamp as indefinate in the passport. And do I have the option of going back to England to divorce him there??
Old Jun 5th 2007, 11:28 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Married in USA then Moved to UK for 5 years

Originally Posted by cleagt350
Hi All,

I am new to this board and would hopefully get some feedback as well as helping others.
I married a British citizen then moved to UK from 2002-2006- I recevied an indefinate to remain in UK stamp in my passport.

Unfortunately, my husband of those years assaulted me - and I fled back to USA- nightmare but will not get into all that. I have legal aid here but can I still keep my stamp as indefinate in the passport. And do I have the option of going back to England to divorce him there??
ILR may be lost if a person leaves the United Kingdom and on return is given leave to enter other than for an indefinite period. This may be because, e.g., they mistakenly seek to enter as a visitor, or the immigration officer believes that they do not intend to reside in the United Kingdom.

ILR may also be curtailed by the Home Secretary for reasons of national security or if the holder of the ILR commits an offense that could lead to their Deportation from the United Kingdom

A person may also lose ILR by leaving the United Kingdom for more than two years. However, in some circumstances such a person may reapply for indefinite leave to enter the UK.

I don't think you need to return to get a divorce ...
Old Jun 5th 2007, 11:45 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cleagt350
Hi All,

In your situation, if you want to be able to remain in the UK indefinitely at some point in the future, the only safe thing to do is to return to the UK asap and apply for citizenship. Once you've got that you are safe to come and go as you please.

As for the divorce, this is the website of family lawyers in the UK:

http://www.resolution.org.uk/

All the best.
Old Jun 5th 2007, 2:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
In your situation, if you want to be able to remain in the UK indefinitely at some point in the future, the only safe thing to do is to return to the UK asap and apply for citizenship. Once you've got that you are safe to come and go as you please.

As for the divorce, this is the website of family lawyers in the UK:

http://www.resolution.org.uk/
If she returns to the UK in the near future and convinces an Immigration Officer on arrival that her home remains in the UK and her absence has been temporary, she ought to be readmitted without entry clearance as she has been away for less than 2 years. (unless ILR has already been removed).

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk has information for returning residents.

However, she may have already re-set the 3 year clock for naturalisation and if she divorces, it becomes a 5 year clock.

Annex B to Chapter 18 of the Nationality Instructions explains the residence requirement and what leeway there is.
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/documents/nichapter18/