Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Married to US Citizen, both living in UK but moving back to US

Married to US Citizen, both living in UK but moving back to US

Old Mar 31st 2011, 2:50 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Married to US Citizen, both living in UK but moving back to US

Originally Posted by ExBritFL
What happens at the port of entry interview though?
If you tell them you're moving here, they'll most probably send you back. Although I remember a poster on these very boards who told them that very thing on the advice of JAG while entering at Phoenix, and the guy simply told her he hadn't heard her, stamped her passport, and waved her in.

You should not enter the US as a tourist with the intention of remaining.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

ExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond reputeExBritFL has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
If you tell them you're moving here, they'll most probably send you back. Although I remember a poster on these very boards who told them that very thing on the advice of JAG while entering at Phoenix, and the guy simply told her he hadn't heard her, stamped her passport, and waved her in.

You should not enter the US as a tourist with the intention of remaining.
Noted.!
Old Mar 31st 2011, 3:00 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExBritFL
Noted.!
A search for "10-foot pole" on this forum will produce a lot of reading for you. Make sure that you also read the latest posts since there have been recent changes in the way USCIS administers such petitions.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 4:17 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

This is a bit of an awkward subject. I agree with Ian that immigration status is determined at the time of entry into the USA without regard to what it says on the visa. And therefore it's meaningless for us to distinguish between a CR1 visa and an IR1 visa.

But, in fact, an immigrant visa does say on it:
IV Category [CR1] or [IR1] or whatever applies.

The concept that needs to be understodd is that visa category and immigration status are two separate things although very intimately related. In most cases they will be the same, but in the case of spouses (and their children) of US citizens the two can be different.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Just to clarify, regardless of how long someone is married, they would be applying for an immigrant visa. There is no CR-1 or IR-1 visa... there is only an immigrant visa.

On the day they enter the US with that immigrant visa, they will receive CR-1 status or IR-1 status depending on how long they've been married.

Ian
Originally Posted by gnasher12
So if you have been married less than two years you would be applying for CR-1 visa, and if longer a IR-1 visa.

Last edited by jeffreyhy; Mar 31st 2011 at 4:20 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 4:29 pm
Is Female

gnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud ofgnasher12 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Your post is full of misinformation. The VWP express is the shortest process for many, it's cheaper, and there are fewer forms. Sure, it does have some disadvantages, but there is no point in spreading misinformation about it.
I don't understand, if you file while in the US you have to do concurrent filing, which is more forms.

you would have to file the I-130 petition, and the I-485 together, which if she did DCF filing she would not need to file the I-485

also that form alone is like $900 plus the petition fee, so it is more expensive, and there are more forms if you try to adjust status from inside the US.

She would also not be allowed to work until she had her work permit.

So filing DCF, is cheaper, less paperwork, and when they arrived they would be able to start work.

I mean it is why I did not choose this option because it would be harder to prove I went on VWP and just decided to stay when I was already married to a USC, and the higher cost, and not being to work.