Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Married and Offer Of Employment - Options?

Wikiposts

Married and Offer Of Employment - Options?

Old Jun 4th 2008, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

green_giant is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Married and Offer Of Employment - Options?

Hi All,

I am currently living in the UK married to a USC (for just under a year). I have a job offer from a US company to start work in October. I currently have an undergraduate degree and am nearing the end of my PhD (planning to submit before leaving the country). I have just been refused permission to file I-130 in London (our chosen route in to the US) due to my wife's UK visa being the two year limited one. I'm now in the situation where filing I-130 in the US will not be quick enough. I've just let my employer know the situation and they are trying to sort things out from their end. I'm sceptical however about their chances of getting me an H1-B. Essentially I would like to get an immigrant visa supported by my wife and her family but have it fast-tracked by virtue of my connection with my future employer. Does anyone know of any other options available to me? Is there any chance of me getting my I-130 expedited?

Thanks
Old Jun 5th 2008, 12:21 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Married and Offer Of Employment - Options?

Originally Posted by green_giant
I'm sceptical however about their chances of getting me an H1-B.
Unless they are exempt from the H-1B cap, the chances are zero... the quota was filled on April 1. Sorry.

Essentially I would like to get an immigrant visa supported by my wife and her family but have it fast-tracked by virtue of my connection with my future employer.
I don't know of any "fast track" route to immigration. If one was available, everybody would use it. Even if your wife files the I-130 today, you are still looking at about 8-10 months before you set foot in the US with permission to work.

Ian
Old Jun 5th 2008, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know of any other options available to me? Is there any chance of me getting my I-130 expedited?
I doubt there's any chance of it being expedited; everybody wants the I-130 approved fast.

Ph.D. you say? It might be a longshot, but how about having the employer look into an O-1 (extraordinary ability). I'm not sure of your chances with the ink still wet on the diploma, but if the employer isn't cap exempt, H1 is completely out.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 2:11 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Essentially I would like to get an immigrant visa supported by my wife and her family but have it fast-tracked by virtue of my connection with my future employer.
There is no way to do this.

Does anyone know of any other options available to me?
I think you basically have 2 options. 1) File the I-130 in the USA and wait the 8 to 10 months for your immigrant visa, then start your job in the USA after that; or 2) Have your employer file for your H1B next April so you can start work in October 2009 (unless as Ian said, the job is exempt from the cap).

Is there any chance of me getting my I-130 expedited?
Not from what you've said, no. The only way of "expediting" it would have been to file it in the UK, which is a much faster process than filing it in the USA...but London has nixed that option for you.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Jun 5th 2008, 4:57 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I have just been refused permission to file I-130 in London (our chosen route in to the US) due to my wife's UK visa being the two year limited one.
How long has your wife been living in the UK? Did she include any particular evidence to show that the UK is and has been her primary residence for over 6 months?
This is a bit of a peculiar outcome--London is getting the weirdies again...
Old Jun 5th 2008, 7:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
There is no way to do this.

I think you basically have 2 options. 1) File the I-130 in the USA and wait the 8 to 10 months for your immigrant visa, then start your job in the USA after that; or 2) Have your employer file for your H1B next April so you can start work in October 2009 (unless as Ian said, the job is exempt from the cap).

Not from what you've said, no. The only way of "expediting" it would have been to file it in the UK, which is a much faster process than filing it in the USA...but London has nixed that option for you.

Best Wishes,
Rene
But the H1B for next october is no guarantee right - 1 in 3 odds or something? (I remember it's a lottery, but not sure if I'm remembering the odds correctly).
Old Jun 5th 2008, 7:42 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
I don't know of any "fast track" route to immigration. If one was available, everybody would use it.
You do, and they do.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 7:45 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tracym
But the H1B for next october is no guarantee right - 1 in 3 odds or something? (I remember it's a lottery, but not sure if I'm remembering the odds correctly).
Right, there's no guarantee. I don't know the odds, but it's a lottery. But if he wants to move over on work merits only (not by marriage to a USC), that's his chance.

Rene
Old Jun 6th 2008, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
You do, and they do.
LOL