Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Married before divorce "absolute"

Wikiposts

Married before divorce "absolute"

Old Jan 10th 2010, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Married before divorce "absolute"

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Each state is different. Here in AZ, I did not have to show proof that my previous marriages were terminated, when we applied for our marriage license.
Wow...seems crazy. Of course, we know that in the US crazy can be normal....
Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:15 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

City Hall clerks, unlike CIS mis-info line staff, are usually smart enough to not answer questions of law. The woman needs a quick consulatation with a family lawyer.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by Rete
Your wife can go to city hall and see what their take on it is.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 3:27 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Not necessarily true. The law in Arizona might well be that the divorce nisi is enough to obtain a marriage license. This is what needs to be discussed with the clerk at city hall.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:04 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed that it's not necessarily true. Some clerks might answer a question of law, but I've yet to run across a city or county clerk who would do any more than provide a form that is asked for. Answers about the associated law have always been deflected with 'I can't answer questions of law, you'll have to ask an attorney'.

Regards, JEff

Not necessarily true. The law in Arizona might well be that the divorce nisi is enough to obtain a marriage license. This is what needs to be discussed with the clerk at city hall.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 4:45 am
Just Joined

fester001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey everyone thanks for the input as said I am open to any suggestions I would be so made up if the nisi one was correct i think the lawyer route is defo the route at the moment I love this woman so much that if necessary I will have to wait out my 3 years but we dont want to any more advice still appreciated.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Madelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond reputeMadelina has a reputation beyond repute

in the UK, once you have your decree nisi in hand you must wait a minimum of six weeks and 1 day, before applying for a decree absolute. So thats the minimum time period for getting one - its more likely to be a couple of months in between the two certificates, and you would need the absolute, to legally remarry.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 9:32 am
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Possibly, but I can tell you that the county clerk who completed our marriage license application process in Illinois had NO CLUE as to what she was looking at all the way down the line----had never seen a visa, and had no idea that the UK required both nisi and absolute to be divorced. In fact, she kept asking him why he had two divorce decrees and couldn't seem to get it that he really had only been married once before, not twice to the same person. His birth certificate was equally confusing. We explained all that to her at the counter. If we had been the type, we could have gotten away with ANYTHING that day.

~SecretGarden
Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:38 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

The law in Arizona is you both have to be breathing when you turn up for the license. That's about it, I think.