Wikiposts

Married for 5 years???

Old Jul 19th 2005, 3:02 am
Banned

nutts4mutts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Married for 5 years???

Maybe somebody can answer my question. My husband and I (USC) got married 5 years ago, he has obviously overstayed his I-94 since he stayed here (US) with me. We made lots of mistakes by listening to other people and taking the wrong way to obtain paperwork he needed to complete the application. My question is simple, can we apply now for his AOS or is it too late? Will he be able to obtain his conditional GC even after 5 years of marriage and stay in the US with me. We have lots of supporting material to prove our legit marriage, lots of witnesses as well.

Thank you kindly.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 3:09 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Married for 5 years???

Originally Posted by nutts4mutts
Maybe somebody can answer my question. My husband and I (USC) got married 5 years ago, he has obviously overstayed his I-94 since he stayed here (US) with me. We made lots of mistakes by listening to other people and taking the wrong way to obtain paperwork he needed to complete the application. My question is simple, can we apply now for his AOS or is it too late? Will he be able to obtain his conditional GC even after 5 years of marriage and stay in the US with me. We have lots of supporting material to prove our legit marriage, lots of witnesses as well.

Thank you kindly.
Yes, not time limit for being forgiven on marraige to a USC.

You should get the straight 10 years GC as you have been married for more than 2 years.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 3:15 am
Banned

Thank you for your help, that's good news.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 3:54 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

My question is simple, can we apply now for his AOS or is it too late?
An overstay is generally forgiven for the spouse of a US citizen, so... yes, he can apply for AOS. How has he supported himself if he didn't have work authorization? He should also apply for an EAD.

Will he be able to obtain his conditional GC even after 5 years of marriage and stay in the US with me.
He should receive a 10 year GC since you've been married more than 2 years.

Ian
Old Jul 19th 2005, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

PHILLY2004 will become famous soon enough

One thing about long overstays is that they can trigger bans from the US. You may have trouble if he has left the US and returned after a long overstay. Also He can not leave the US until he has Permanent residence status, don't bother with advance parole.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 5:45 am
Banned

How has he supported himself if he didn't have work authorization? He should also apply for an EAD.

He never left the country after we got married. He's been here and we've had his family's help from overseas sending some money every now and then to help with everything. We will fill out the EAD at the same time with all other documentation related to AOS.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 6:29 am
Banned

Let me put it this way... We got married while he was in the US, he didn't leave and therefore overstayed his I-94. He hasn't left the country ever since we got married 5 years ago and has no plans on doing so. My question is, can we now apply for AOS? I understand he cannot leave the US.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 6:34 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Let me put it this way... We got married while he was in the US, he didn't leave and therefore overstayed his I-94. He hasn't left the country ever since we got married 5 years ago and has no plans on doing so. My question is, can we now apply for AOS? I understand he cannot leave the US.
Yes he can apply for a GC.

To be technically correct he can always leave, getting back in is the tricky bit.
Old Jul 19th 2005, 6:41 am
Banned

Hello,
I don't want him to leave at all! That's the whole point!