Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marriage whilst awaiting approval of I751

Marriage whilst awaiting approval of I751

Old Jan 18th 2019, 2:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Marriage whilst awaiting approval of I751

Hi,
I'm currently going through the process of the I751. I got the extension that I see others have also been given. It's proving to be a long wait which I know others are experiencing. My partner proposed to me, and I said yes, but I have said that I am not sure it's "allowed" to marry whilst going through this process. We're both happy to wait until the decision on my I751 is made clear, but at the same time we'd like to tie the knot and have a small wedding. We'd like to continue with "life" even though nothing is set in stone as far as the renewal of the GC goes. We'd like to look for a house to buy but I am not sure we should do that given that there is no yey or ney regarding my extension and I'm aware this could go either way, and we'd deal with it either way. Renting is for us, just money out the window, and we'd like to change that of course. Can anyone offer any advice please?
Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 18th 2019, 2:42 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage whilst awaiting approval of I751

I-751 is the technical of condition on a 2- year green card. How did you get that green card, if you are not married?

Rene
Old Jan 18th 2019, 2:47 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, I think from your past posts, you received this green card via marriage to a different USC, correct?

There's no law against getting remarried now, although you also don't want to make it look like your first marriage was a sham just to get here and then marry this guy.

Personally I would probably wait until I have the 10 year card in hand, just to avoid any potential issues with USCIS. But you are allowed to go on with life, and you are allowed to get married.

Rene
Old Jan 18th 2019, 10:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat084 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rene,
Yep the GC was from marriage. I certainly don't want it to look like my first marriage was a sham, as it wasn't, but at the same time we'd like to just get on with life as the not knowing is gradually taking it's toll on us. We have a horse due to give birth in a couple of months, 3 dogs, and our life included in that, sounds silly but it's just our life as simple as it may sound. I am well aware that none of this is taken into consideration, wish it were, but we're realistic about it. Thanks for your advice Rene.