Wikiposts

Marriage while in U.S

Old Jun 29th 2003, 11:36 pm
Just Joined

Mercury135 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage while in U.S

Hi
Me and My girlfriend plan to marry when I come over to florida in Septmeber.I'm from England, Shes lives in Florida, I'm not coming over on a visa, If we marry I won't have to leave the country for a period will I? How much does it cost for paperwork etc? Who should I contact for good advice?
Keith
Old Jun 29th 2003, 11:46 pm
Mrtravel

Default Re: Marriage while in U.S

Mercury135 wrote:
    > Hi
    > Me and My girlfriend plan to marry when I come over to florida in
    > Septmeber.I'm from England, Shes lives in Florida, I'm not coming over
    > on a visa, If we marry I won't have to leave the country for a period
    > will I? How much does it cost for paperwork etc? Who should I contact
    > for good advice?
    > Keith

Contact an attorney, especially if have a preconceived plan to immigrate
using a tourist visa or visa waiver.

Old Jun 30th 2003, 12:14 am
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mercury135
Hi
Me and My girlfriend plan to marry when I come over to florida in Septmeber.I'm from England, Shes lives in Florida, I'm not coming over on a visa, If we marry I won't have to leave the country for a period will I? How much does it cost for paperwork etc? Who should I contact for good advice?
Keith
Get your Barge Poles ready people, another spur of the moment marriage posting...........................

Keith, look through the search engine on this forum and you will see that if your plan is to enter the US with the intention to marry on a Visa Waiver and not return to your home country, it is abusing the system. A VW is a non immigrant visa, so if you enter on it with the intention of marrying then you are failing to comply with it's intended use.

Whats to stop you getting a K1 like everyone else. Just read the BCIS web site and use the correct visa, it's for your own benefit.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 12:45 am
BE Enthusiast

leebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really niceleebarton is just really nice

You have three options really

1) Come over on a visa waiver, marry, leave the country, file for a k-3 visa from the UK
2) File for a k-1 fiance(e) visa and enter when it is processed, then marry and adjust status
3) Marry anywhere else in the world that takes your fancy, then file for a k-3 visa from the UK

This is ignoring the come in on a visa waiver, get married, and stay... by saying you propose to marry her you have shown pre-conceived intent, which is visa abuse and can lead to a ban from entry to the US if caught...
Old Jun 30th 2003, 3:18 am
L D Jones

robclews wrote:
    >
    > Originally posted by Mercury135
    > > Hi
    > > Me and My girlfriend plan to marry when I come over to florida in
    > > Septmeber.I'm from England, Shes lives in Florida, I'm not coming over
    > > on a visa, If we marry I won't have to leave the country for a period
    > > will I? How much does it cost for paperwork etc? Who should I contact
    > > for good advice?
    > > Keith
    >
    > Get your Barge Poles ready people, another spur of the moment marriage
    > posting...........................
    >
    > Keith, look through the search engine on this forum and you will see
    > that if your plan is to enter the US with the intention to marry on a
    > Visa Waiver, is abusing the system. A VW is a non immigrant visa, so if
    > you enter on it with the intention of marrying then you are failing to
    > comply with it's intended use.

To be pedantic the visa waiver isn't a visa at all (not even a
non-immigrant one). The visa requirement is "waived"

Old Jun 30th 2003, 4:33 am

katesuiter1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Keith!

Just to echo the words of many people on the NG, go the K1 route. You may have a longer wait than September, but it'll save you worrying that things may go wrong when attempting to file for AOS later on.
Kate. xxx
Old Jun 30th 2003, 5:21 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by leebarton

1) Come over on a visa waiver, marry, leave the country, file for a k-3 visa from the UK
<snip>
3) Marry anywhere else in the world that takes your fancy, then file for a k-3 visa from the UK
To be furtherly (yes I made that up) pedantic, the K3 is applied for in the US, when the foreign spouse is not in the US and from what I've seen, the K3 visa may have a rule attached about applying for the visa in the country of the marriage.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 5:26 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by meauxna
To be furtherly (yes I made that up) pedantic, the K3 is applied for in the US, when the foreign spouse is not in the US and from what I've seen, the K3 visa may have a rule attached about applying for the visa in the country of the marriage.
I like furtherly, but then we get into semantics from pedantic.
Old Jun 30th 2003, 5:57 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by cindyabs
I like furtherly, but then we get into semantics from pedantic.
<snort>
Old Jun 30th 2003, 6:02 am
BE Enthusiast

robclews is an unknown quantity at this point

[

To be pedantic the visa waiver isn't a visa at all (not even a
non-immigrant one). The visa requirement is "waived"
Pedantic maybe, but a very accurate observation...good call, lol

Rob
Old Jun 30th 2003, 6:10 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by leebarton

2) File for a k-1 fiance(e) visa and enter when it is processed, then marry and adjust status

This is ignoring the come in on a visa waiver, get married, and stay... by saying you propose to marry her you have shown pre-conceived intent, which is visa abuse and can lead to a ban from entry to the US if caught...
Anything has to be quicker than filing a K1 through Texas, which the OP would have to, seeing as his fiancee lives in Florida.

Debbie
Old Jun 30th 2003, 6:13 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dbark
Anything has to be quicker than filing a K1 through Texas, which the OP would have to, seeing as his fiancee lives in Florida.

Debbie

My monies on the K3 for a TSC person..........or DCF from UK?
Old Jun 30th 2003, 6:15 am
Just around the next bend

dbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond reputedbark has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, Cindy
Old Jun 30th 2003, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

simon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the roughsimon bland is a jewel in the rough

just to be curious, whre in the Uk and where in FLorida
Old Jun 30th 2003, 8:46 am
Mrtravel

meauxna wrote:
    > Originally posted by leebarton
    >
    >>You have three options really
    >>1) Come over on a visa waiver, marry, leave the country, file for a
    >> k-3 visa from the UK
    >>3) Marry anywhere else in the world that takes your fancy, then file
    >> for a k-3 visa from the UK
    >
    >
    > To be furtherly (yes I made that up) pedantic, the K3 is applied for in
    > the US, when the foreign spouse is not in the US and from what I've
    > seen, the K3 visa may have a rule attached about applying for the visa
    > in the country of the marriage.

It does. The K-3 must be applied for in the country that marriage took
place in. This doesn't mean, of course, the the country the marriage
took place in, has to let the immigrant apply there for the visa.