Marriage Visa: arrest record and J-1 2HRR

Marriage Visa: arrest record and J-1 2HRR

Old Jan 8th 2007, 10:29 am
Just Joined

liliya_enigma1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marriage Visa: arrest record and J-1 2HRR

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi Jenney,

We brought a written request with us to the interview, asking them to extend it, but it wasn't necessary. They processed everything without asking any questions.

Rene
Yep, I don't see how they can cancel my petition if they are the ones who require the two year period to be over. If it would be up to me, I would be happy to go to the January interview they've just scheduled for me. Staying in Kazakhstan is pain.

What I've done in the past, I called the consulate and asked them to postpone the interview. They were nice and understanding about it.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 11:15 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage Visa: arrest record and J-1 2HRR

Originally Posted by liliya_enigma1
Yep, I don't see how they can cancel my petition if they are the ones who require the two year period to be over. If it would be up to me, I would be happy to go to the January interview they've just scheduled for me. Staying in Kazakhstan is pain.

What I've done in the past, I called the consulate and asked them to postpone the interview. They were nice and understanding about it.
I'm glad to hear they're being accommodating with it. My point was that if the petition's expiration DOES make a difference as to when you can have your interview, then the responsibility is yours, not theirs, to make sure your timeline isn't going to become a problem. The fact that you have the two-year rule does not change the fact that you decided to apply well before those two years were finished.

Theoretically, the consulate does not HAVE to honor your request for an 8-month interview postponement because you decided to start the process when you still had a year or so left on your HHR. In your case, they have honored your request, and that's nice of them -- but if they hadn't, then you'd have to start the process all over again most likely.

~ Jenney