marriage in the usa

Old Sep 12th 2002, 9:34 am
Jdbudden

Default marriage in the usa

i am british and my fiance is american. how do we go about getting married in the usa
and staying there? can i just go there and we get married then we sort out all the
paperwork.or should she apply for a fiance visa.we contacted the U.S. embassy in
colorado and were told we could do the former but since talking to other people they
say that this is probably not the best way to do it.we are just becoming frustrated.
one offical person tells you one thing, and then another one tells you somthing else.
we obviously want to do everything correctly and legal but somebody help us please!

Old Sep 12th 2002, 10:11 am
Sylvia Ottemoeller

Default Re: marriage in the usa

"jdbudden" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected] o-
m

> i am british and my fiance is american. how do we go about getting married in the
    > usa and staying there? can i just go there and we get married then we sort out all
    > the paperwork.or should she apply for a fiance visa.we contacted the U.S. embassy
    > in colorado and were told we could do the former but since talking to other people
    > they say that this is probably not the best way to do it.we are just becoming
    > frustrated. one offical person tells you one thing, and then another one tells you
    > somthing else. we obviously want to do everything correctly and legal but somebody
    > help us please!

First of all, forget about the answer from the "official person." That is the least
reliable source for immigration information that exists. If you read this and other
newsgroups and lists for a time, you will hear horror stories about people taking
advice from government workers. They are often exceptionally poorly informed.

Also, you are not going to get uniform recommendations from other people either,
because this is a sort of controversial topic. Go to http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/visainf-
o/visainfo.htm
, and follow the links to "Tourist adjustment." There are
pages and pages of discussion. When you understand all the issues, you can make
your own decision.

Old Sep 13th 2002, 4:41 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: marriage in the usa

Originally posted by Jdbudden:
i am british and my fiance is american. how do we go about getting married in the usa
and staying there? can i just go there and we get married then we sort out all the
paperwork.or should she apply for a fiance visa.we contacted the U.S. embassy in
colorado and were told we could do the former but since talking to other people they
say that this is probably not the best way to do it.we are just becoming frustrated.
one offical person tells you one thing, and then another one tells you somthing else.
we obviously want to do everything correctly and legal but somebody help us please!
------------------------------
Since you've found this newsgroup, have you performed a search in the newsgroup for any relevant info that could help you?

There are probably previous posts that will answer your questions...