Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marriage in US on Visa waiver program

Marriage in US on Visa waiver program

Old Sep 27th 2012, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

anamcara-uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage in US on Visa waiver program

Hi, I'm sure you guys have seen similar questions in here loads of times, we been looking for a definitive answer for days on various places online and keep on seeing so much conflicting info that its making our heads swim.

We've seen many threads on various forums concerning this but many of them are a few years old so if someone could answer the following question concerning the current rules surrounding the issue it would be great

I'm intending to travel to the US under the VWP from the UK, marry my US fiancee while there and stay for a month before returning to the UK after which we intend to apply for the relevant visas for her to come and join me in England.

Anyone foresee a problem with our plans?
Old Sep 27th 2012, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

holly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really niceholly2234 is just really nice
Default Re: Marriage in US on Visa waiver program

It is perfectly legal to do that.

Make sure you have read the new rules to bring a spouse to the UK.

Last edited by holly2234; Sep 27th 2012 at 7:37 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 7:30 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

No.

Regards, JEff
Old Sep 27th 2012, 9:22 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anamcara-uk
I'm intending to travel to the US under the VWP from the UK, marry my US fiancee while there and stay for a month before returning to the UK after which we intend to apply for the relevant visas for her to come and join me in England.

Anyone foresee a problem with our plans?
No problem at all. It is legal to get married in the USA while visiting on the VWP.

The problem would be if you want to remain in the USA and adjust status to permanent resident after marriage. But since you are not planning that, you're fine.

Rene
Old Sep 27th 2012, 10:22 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

No problem - it's exactly what I did. Be prepared with documentation at the PoE to back up your intent to return/ties to the UK in case they ask further questions.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 1:07 am

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Were you prepared with documentation? Thought so.

Did they ask to see your documentation? Didn't think so.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by civilservant
No problem - it's exactly what I did. Be prepared with documentation at the PoE to back up your intent to return/ties to the UK in case they ask further questions.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 4:00 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Correct on both counts Jeff- although I don't see the relevance in the pointing that out....
Old Sep 28th 2012, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing that MAY throw a spanner in the works if you're not careful...

Do NOT tell them at POE that you plan to marry while there. They could refuse you entry. Just tell them it's a holiday and you should be fine.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 3:03 pm

Didn't think you would, but thought it worth the effort in case anyone else might.

Regards, JEff

Originally Posted by civilservant
Correct on both counts Jeff- although I don't see the relevance in the pointing that out....
Old Sep 28th 2012, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Guindalf
The only thing that MAY throw a spanner in the works if you're not careful...

Do NOT tell them at POE that you plan to marry while there. They could refuse you entry. Just tell them it's a holiday and you should be fine.
OP, please don't do this. Lying to the PoE officer is terrible advice.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 6:28 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

What a stupid idea! It's never a good idea to lie to an immigration officer.

Ian
Old Sep 28th 2012, 7:47 pm
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Didn't think you would, but thought it worth the effort in case anyone else might.

Regards, JEff
My sarcasm meter must be off.... since that must be an insult but I dont get it
Old Sep 28th 2012, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JSL8610
OP, please don't do this. Lying to the PoE officer is terrible advice.
Originally Posted by ian-mstm
What a stupid idea! It's never a good idea to lie to an immigration officer.

Ian
Who said anything about lying??? I just meant that there's no need to go into detail at the checkpoint!

Immigration Officer: "What is the purpose of your visit"
You: "Seeing friends and family"
Immigration Officer: "OK, go ahead"

...or...

You: "Getting married to a USC and then going back to the UK to apply for a resident visa"
Immigration Officer: "Er, come into the office for 16 hours while we verify your story"

Which would you prefer?

There's no need to get the officer thinking that you may not leave when the intentions are legit. It just saves a LOT of hassle.

I certainly would NOT deny it if asked and I do NOT advocate lying!
Old Sep 28th 2012, 9:02 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

You: "Getting married to a USC and then going back to the UK to apply for a resident visa"
Immigration Officer: "Er, come into the office for 16 hours while we verify your story"

Me: "Getting married to a USC and then going back to the UK where my wife will join me once she has her UK visa" Which is what the OP said he is doing as well.

Immigration Officer: "Congratulations, hope it all goes well."

Never ended up in a little room for 16 hours or even 16 minutes. In fact I can't say it even took any longer at the immigration desk than it did when I came for a vacation and said so.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

JSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of lightJSL8610 is a glorious beacon of light

Who said anything about lying??? I just meant that there's no need to go into detail at the checkpoint!
Well saying that you're there to visit friends and/or family when you're really there to get married doesn't sound much like the truth.

Immigration Officer: "OK, go ahead"

...or...

Which would you prefer?

There's no need to get the officer thinking that you may not leave when the intentions are legit. It just saves a LOT of hassle.

I certainly would NOT deny it if asked and I do NOT advocate lying!
Well sure, if you write it like that. What makes you think that's going to happen though? I could just as easily say that the options are:

Immigration Officer: Congratulations. On you go"

Or

Immigration Officer: "Who are you staying with?"
You: "My fiancee"
Immigration Officer: "Will you be getting married while you're here?"
You: "Yes"
Immigration Officer: "Why didn't you say that when I asked the purpose of your trip? Come into the office for 16 hours"

Which would you prefer?

I don't think that's very likely either, but it seems about as likely as what you posted. It's very easy to advocate one approach over another if we just make up unlikely scenarios and present them as definite outcomes. The fact remains that not telling the officer the truth is a lot more likely to get you in trouble than an honest answer in this situation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.