Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marriage US and UK Citizen ( is marriage recognise in UK?)

Marriage US and UK Citizen ( is marriage recognise in UK?)

Old Aug 21st 2020, 5:38 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage US and UK Citizen ( is marriage recognise in UK?)

Originally Posted by Errol
..... The point being, the marriage license is under Bermuda Law which is recognized by the US and the UK and definitely some other countries .....
Both the US and UK accept any marriage certificate for a marriage that is recognised as a legitimate and binding marriage in the country where the marriage was performed/ the certificate was issued. .... Which means almost all marriages anywhere around the world.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

Dekan1s3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Thank you for the feedback and suggestions.
I am leaning towards travelling to a 3rd country not on the banned list like Mexico and isolating there for 14 days before then trying to enter the USA on my ESTA.
Once there we will get married and apply for the spouse visa to settle in the UK
Do you know if you can still travel to the UK whilst your spouse visa is being processed?
Also rather than my ESTA do you think its possible to be granted a B-2 so I can stay longer than the 90 days, Im just thinking in case the spouse visa takes longer than say 2 months ( and if your not allowed to travel to UK whilst a pending application ) I would prefer to be in USA until its granted?
Kind Regards
Dekan
Old Aug 31st 2020, 2:10 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Also rather than my ESTA do you think its possible to be granted a B-2 so I can stay longer than the 90 days, Im just thinking in case the spouse visa takes longer than say 2 months
Don't even try this. If you get denied you won't be able to enter the US at all for probably a year since you will have to declare the denial on a new ESTA (as your answers to the one you now hold would be longer be correct)

You are looking at some period of living apart while married while you wait for a visa to be processed. Best to accept that fact now.
Old Aug 31st 2020, 3:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
Don't even try this. If you get denied you won't be able to enter the US at all for probably a year since you will have to declare the denial on a new ESTA ......
Wot 'e said!

Generally most B-2's for people eligible for VWP/ ESTA are denied. A VWP visit gets you 90 days, so unless you're retired, or a student with very specific plans to do somthing such as hiking the Appalachian Trail, there is very little liklihood of a B-2 being approved, and that liklihood will be even lower if they know you're going to marry a USC and are therefore at risk of overstaying and trying to adjust your status from within the US.