Reload this Page >

Marriage to a US permanent resident

Wikiposts

Marriage to a US permanent resident

Old Nov 21st 2004, 9:45 am
Just Joined

Larry2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage to a US permanent resident

I am currently in the US on an F-1 visa and am planning on marrying my friend who is a permanent resident. How will the fact that shes a permanent resident affect anything? How soon can I expect to get a work permit etc??
Old Nov 21st 2004, 10:05 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage to a US permanent resident

Originally Posted by Larry2
I am currently in the US on an F-1 visa and am planning on marrying my friend who is a permanent resident. How will the fact that shes a permanent resident affect anything? How soon can I expect to get a work permit etc??
I don't get it.

Here you're saying that you are planning to marry your "friend" in order to get a work permit.

Five minutes later you make another post in the Canadian Immigration forum, saying you're planning on emigrating to Canada as a skilled worker.

Which is it??

~ Jenney
Old Nov 21st 2004, 10:15 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

In my opinion, it will have no effect on any application for OPT whatsoever.

I'm not really an expert on OPT application though, so I have no idea how long those applications take under SEVIS.
Old Nov 21st 2004, 10:15 am
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute

Her PR status will affect the amount of time you have to wait to get your PR status and thus work authorization. It takes years for a 'number' to become available and only USC's can petition for a k-visa. See the following link (thanks to Jenny in a previous post).

http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/spouselive.htm#Info2

<note to concerned others: I left out the personal assumptions and comments regarding the poster's wording and cross posts, however don't think i didn't notice them... happy now?>

Marnee
Old Nov 21st 2004, 10:22 am
Cool Member

USA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond reputeUSA & Pakistan has a reputation beyond repute

Mr. F posted while i was typing. The poster's current status must change things, hopefully for the better. I defer to Mr. F's much greater knowledge on this subject.

Good Luck!
Marnee
Old Nov 21st 2004, 10:23 am
Just Joined

Larry2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Jenney...well I dont know about you, but the word friend carries alot of weight to me ....my girlfriend is my closest friend so...also I am just keeping my options open. Thanks for the help though....

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I don't get it.

Here you're saying that you are planning to marry your "friend" in order to get a work permit.

Five minutes later you make another post in the Canadian Immigration forum, saying you're planning on emigrating to Canada as a skilled worker.

Which is it??

~ Jenney
Old Nov 21st 2004, 10:27 am
Cool Member

Hey Jenney...well I dont know about you, but the word friend carries alot of weight to me ....my girlfriend is my closest friend so...also I am just keeping my options open. Thanks for the help though....

Very cool!

Marnee