Wikiposts

Marriage to a US Citizen

Old Sep 5th 2007, 7:45 am
Just Joined

Al_09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage to a US Citizen

Hello to everyone,

A few questions:

1) I am planing to marry my finance, a US citizen. We were going to marry in the US and then have the ceremony in our home country. We are both from the same country just that she is a US citizen while I am on a work visa. We were told that it would be much faster to get the Green card if we marry in US rather than going back to our home country and getting marry there, is that correct?

2) Could I leave the US and come back without problems before I get the green card?

3) What paperwork should be filed (best route) - - not sure if you can answer this without more information?

Thanks
Old Sep 5th 2007, 7:51 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage to a US Citizen

Originally Posted by Al_09
Hello to everyone,

A few questions:

1) I am planing to marry my finance, a US citizen. We were going to marry in the US and then have the ceremony in our home country. We are both from the same country just that she is a US citizen while I am on a work visa. We were told that it would be much faster to get the Green card if we marry in US rather than going back to our home country and getting marry there, is that correct?

2) Could I leave the US and come back without problems before I get the green card?

3) What paperwork should be filed (best route) - - not sure if you can answer this without more information?

Thanks
First, are you in the USA on a work visa? If so, you can marry in the USA and apply for your adjustment of status directly, without leaving the USA. That's probably easiest.

If you meant you are on a work visa somewhere outside the USA, then you can marry in the USA (or another country), and then apply for your immigrant visa to come to the USA permanently.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Sep 5th 2007, 7:53 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello to everyone,

A few questions:

Thanks
Looking back at your thread from a month or so ago, it seems like some of your questions have already been answered:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=471999

So what about your original situation has now changed to prompt you to inquire again? A month ago you were on OPT. Are you now on a work visa instead?

Rene
Old Sep 5th 2007, 7:58 am
Just Joined

Al_09 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry for the confusion, still on OPT.

What I wanted to know mostly was the type of paperwork that needs to be filed, the best route for that.

Thanks.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 8:01 am

Sorry for the confusion, still on OPT.

What I wanted to know mostly was the type of paperwork that needs to be filed, the best route for that.

Thanks.
Well, it still depends on some things. If you are currently in the USA, the "easiest" thing to do is get married now in the USA, and file for your adjustment of status to permanent resident (AOS) after you get married, from within the USA.

Whether you will be able to leave the USA after filing AOS depends on whether you have accrued any out-of-status time. If you haven't, then yes, you can take trips outside the USA using Advance Parole, once you have it in hand (takes about 2 months after filing AOS).

If you have your hearts set on getting married in your home country, your immigration and green card route will different and more lengthy.

Rene
Old Sep 5th 2007, 8:09 am

Related links:

How Do I Become a Lawful Permanent Resident While in the USA? http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

Application Procedures: Becoming a Permanent Resident While in the United States: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/usc...0045f3d6a1RCRD

It doesn't mention it on those links, but you'll also need Form 1-130.

Best Wishes,
Rene