Wikiposts

Marriage in US

Old Nov 8th 2003, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

Gigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant future
Default Marriage in US

Could anyone tell me if I will need officially translated copies of my divorce and/or previous marriage certificate in order to marry in the US? This would be Indiana. Many thanks.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 5:43 am
Gra-Gra

Default Re: Marriage in US

Gigiola <member@british_expats.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Could anyone tell me if I will need officially translated copies of my
    > divorce and/or previous marriage certificate in order to marry in the
    > US? This would be Indiana. Many thanks.

I'm pretty sure you do.

Old Nov 10th 2003, 5:48 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

It is required if you marry in other countries, I can't imagine that the US would be any different. I would do it before I left home (Spain), just to be safe. Or you could have your fiance call the local courthouse and just ask them. I find the staff at my local courthouse to be extremely helpful and knowledgable.

Leslie

Originally posted by Gigiola
Could anyone tell me if I will need officially translated copies of my divorce and/or previous marriage certificate in order to marry in the US? This would be Indiana. Many thanks.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 5:49 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, anything that is not in english will have to be translated and certified. Though I have read that if it's in the same language as the consulate you will not need it translated (don't quote me on that). Then again you will probably still need it translated for adjustment of status, etc later on....
Old Nov 10th 2003, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

Gigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant futureGigiola has a brilliant future

Thanks to both.

I'm getting the papers anyway .. just needed to know if I needed to have them with me at that time.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 5:51 am
K1 via London

Steffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond reputeSteffi has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, just thought I'd add that I wasn't married yet when I got my translations, so I just got my birth certificate and medical booklet translated....so if you have to supply those you may want to get those translated while you're at it.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 6:39 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks to both.

I'm getting the papers anyway .. just needed to know if I needed to have them with me at that time.
Jill, you'll find that you compulsively want to carry *all* your papers with you at *all* times

You'll want to look up the *county* in Indiana where you will get your marriage license from. Typically they issue the marriage license, not the state.

Hint: http://www.indygov.org/clerk/marriage/
"If there have been any previous marriages, the application requires information on the month and year marriages ended as well as the manner (e.g., divorce, death, annulment). If you have been divorced for less than 60 days, you must provide a copy of the divorce decree. "
Old Nov 10th 2003, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

lol Meauxna!

Got me in one!!!

Ok .. so "information" would doubtlessly be needed written and not verbal! We understand!

Thanks love ... once again!
Old Nov 10th 2003, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

Carl is an unknown quantity at this point

We didn't need anything except ID and cash.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 8:34 am
K1 via London

Originally posted by Carl
We didn't need anything except ID and cash.
Were you married before?
Old Nov 10th 2003, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Lol Steffi .. you are so much quicker than I am !!!

Same question Carl ... you were divorced?
Old Nov 10th 2003, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Lol Steffi .. you are so much quicker than I am !!!

Same question Carl ... you were divorced?
Yes, I was. There may have been a question on the application, but I don't remember for sure. They did not require proof of any kind. I suppose I could have easily just lied and said I had never been married and they would not have know the difference. I serious doubt that county governments are tied together to the point that they could easily check something like that. If they were, they could check for divorce as easily as previous marriage.

O/T - I had to provide a certified copy of my divorce decree when I sold my house eventhough I had a quit claim deed from my exwife and I had remarried. Go figure.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 8:45 am
K1 via London

Originally posted by Carl
Yes, I was. There may have been a question on the application, but I don't remember for sure. They did not require proof of any kind. I suppose I could have easily just lied and said I had never been married and they would not have know the difference. I serious doubt that county governments are tied together to the point that they could easily check something like that. If they were, they could check for divorce as easily as previous marriage.
Wow, I'm surprised!! If only the USCIS were that easy too.
Old Nov 10th 2003, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

Yepp ... ok ... BUT!!!

Just imagine you had lied about your previous marital status on marriage ... and then ... woooooooo hooooooooo ... you are sending that self same marriage certificate for immigration purposes!

Ok .. one could lie .. the consequences of this would give me nightmares!!!

Still .. thanks ... I will still be carrying every paper I have ever had issued to me!
Old Nov 10th 2003, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Yepp ... ok ... BUT!!!

Just imagine you had lied about your previous marital status on marriage ... and then ... woooooooo hooooooooo ... you are sending that self same marriage certificate for immigration purposes!

Ok .. one could lie .. the consequences of this would give me nightmares!!!

Still .. thanks ... I will still be carrying every paper I have ever had issued to me!
I didn't mean to suggest that anyone should lie, rather to point out the absurdity of even asking the question when there is obviously no way to verify.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.