Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marriage under the VWP, what will happen?

Wikiposts

Marriage under the VWP, what will happen?

Old Jul 12th 2008, 3:35 am
Just Joined

Hotfone10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marriage under the VWP, what will happen?

Originally Posted by LoveConquorsAll
This is way above my head, how did the person not quality for AOS? And if they are denied, i didnt think they could appeal?
Thank you for your story that started this all off. Giving me very good advice as I'm in that situ as well. I live in the UK but have been back and forth to the states approx 7 times in the last 4 years having met a USC. We have a 2 yr old son born in the UK. We want to get married and for me to relocate to the US. But not having to go through the long process ie marriage visa. Good luck and keep up posted on your progress.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

English Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond reputeEnglish Muffin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hotfone10
Thank you for your story that started this all off. Giving me very good advice as I'm in that situ as well. I live in the UK but have been back and forth to the states approx 7 times in the last 4 years having met a USC. We have a 2 yr old son born in the UK. We want to get married and for me to relocate to the US. But not having to go through the long process ie marriage visa. Good luck and keep up posted on your progress.
Are you in the US now? If not, you have no choice but to apply for a visa and wait it out.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 4:25 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

You demonstrate the precise problem with this discussion and why it is not a good idea not discuss it publicly. You have just admitted that you would like to circumvent the law. No foul yet on YOUR part since it is not accompanied by action. [You are at the stage of passing a bank and thinking about how much you would like to rob it. Nothing illegal about that yet].

However, I have discussed elsewhere that the law on criminal "conspiracy" is quite frightening. There have been prosecutions of people urging tax fraud on the internet.

Given today's anti-immigrant climate, I would not really trust what has happened in the past.

Your life, not mine.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 4:26 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

You gravely misunderstand.. this thread is nothing like your situation if you are currently in the UK.

You may not plan ahead to immigrate this way. If you want to immigrate to the US, there are a number of options available to you.
The longer you wait, the longer it is going to take.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 4:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

You are not in the same situation.

The original poster came over here with no intention of getting married, and suddenly decided to.

You have decided in advance, and proclaimed it to all.

The first is legal.
The second is not.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 6:37 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

But not having to go through the long process ie marriage visa.
You can *not* enter the US with the intent to stay unless you have a visa. It is illegal... and you face an immediate lifetime ban from the US if you're caught. Having a USC husband and son will *not* help you at all. But hey... do whatever you want, it's your life!

Ian
Old Jul 12th 2008, 8:38 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like some guy has got himself a perfect set up ....to me
Old Jul 12th 2008, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Hotfone10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your advice. I supose i was looking for the easy option. I guess it's better to do it the right way cause I'd be p*ssed if i was given a ban from travelling to the states again when all i had to do was fill out some paper work. I supose it takes people who know what they're talking about for ones eyes to open at the risk that i would be taking.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 2:37 pm
Account Closed

Thank you all for your advice. I supose i was looking for the easy option. I guess it's better to do it the right way cause I'd be p*ssed if i was given a ban from travelling to the states again when all i had to do was fill out some paper work. I supose it takes people who know what they're talking about for ones eyes to open at the risk that i would be taking.

Thanks again.
Hi:

No problem. This is actually an FAQ -- the desire to be "together" in physical proximity is a strong one -- but "security of our borders" is considered to be of paramount importance to administrators of the law.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 3:03 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
There have been prosecutions of people urging tax fraud on the internet.
Is this on point?
Old Jul 12th 2008, 4:02 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Is this on point?
Hi:

Depends on how you define "the point" -- DIRECTLY on point, no. A close analogy showing that it can happen -- of course.

Back in law school, we were taught about the "dog bite" example of being a tad too little "on point." The fact situation involved an attack by an Irish Setter. The law clerk came back complaining she could not find any cases "on point." The assigning lawyer is flabbergasted -- you couldn't find any dog bite cases? Clerk answers -- I found loads of dog bite cases but none of them involved Irish Setters.
Old Jul 12th 2008, 5:14 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
Hi:

Depends on how you define "the point" -- DIRECTLY on point, no. A close analogy showing that it can happen -- of course.

Back in law school, we were taught about the "dog bite" example of being a tad too little "on point." The fact situation involved an attack by an Irish Setter. The law clerk came back complaining she could not find any cases "on point." The assigning lawyer is flabbergasted -- you couldn't find any dog bite cases? Clerk answers -- I found loads of dog bite cases but none of them involved Irish Setters.
Red setter is to dachshund as IRS is to USCIS? I think you're struggling here. Good effort, though!
Old Jul 13th 2008, 12:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Red setter is to dachshund as IRS is to USCIS? I think you're struggling here. Good effort, though!
My red setter was madly in love with a mini dachshund - apparently it was good enough for him

The courtship was a sight to behold though
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:44 am
Hydey

LoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys for the support, it's good to know that my case is a legitimate one. I received some stuff in the mail from back home today, my mother forward me my birth certificate, bank statement (which shows my pay going in from work on 29 May) bank paying in book, and two affidavits signed by a solictor, one from my mother and one from my father, stating that i did not intend to stay here in US, or marry my girlfriend for that matter. They stated my return date.