Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marriage under the VWP, what will happen?

Wikiposts

Marriage under the VWP, what will happen?

Old Jul 10th 2008, 12:15 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage under the VWP, what will happen?

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I'd bet money on the OP having better chances of completing his quest than you of finding an honest plumber.
He'll probably be done freakin' faster than me, too. :curse:
Old Jul 10th 2008, 12:18 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
He'll probably be done freakin' faster than me, too. :curse:

Life's a.......and then you.....!
Old Jul 10th 2008, 12:23 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Opinions ... they do vary don't they.
You've watched Road House once too often!

Ian
Old Jul 10th 2008, 12:48 pm
Hydey

LoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond repute

Ok guys i understand, i wont file for it.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 1:10 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LoveConquorsAll
Why not?
Old Jul 10th 2008, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think anyone here is telling you not to file for AOS while here. What we are trying to tell you is that there are inherent risks in this method, and that you should weigh them carefully.

Please, go have a one-time consult with an attorney. Yes, there are no guarantees with this method, but there aren't any guarantees with life at all, is there?
Old Jul 10th 2008, 1:40 pm
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute

personally if I was in your position I WOULD file for it! IMO the likelihood of there being anything to upset the applecart is minimal given the situation you have outlined. Its PERFECTLY LEGIT for you to proceed with your marriage plans and file for AOS in the USA. I did it with a much more complicated case having some criminal convictions and without much more than two consults with a brief - both of which were free. Obviously its your choice but please make that FOLLOWING at least an initial consult ( you can get one free) with a immigration brief.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 1:59 pm
Septicity

Originally Posted by Folinskyinla
My post on the "do you feel lucky" was on point.
You anecdotes barely make it, though! -- all IMVHO, of course.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 2:43 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Songbird
Its PERFECTLY LEGIT for you to proceed with your marriage plans and file for AOS in the USA.
Hi:

I'm actually in full agreement with the above statement as it is worded. I'm actually having a pissing match with CIS on a non-marriage case where they are REFUSING to take a filing on the basis that the person does not qualify. The last submission included the magic words "If this submission is requested again, we will consider that we have exhausted all our administrative remedies."

I find it strange that CIS refuses to take our money, cuts off the further fee for an administrative appeal and wants us to go to District Court FIRST.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 3:00 pm
Hydey

LoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond repute

Hi:

I'm actually in full agreement with the above statement as it is worded. I'm actually having a pissing match with CIS on a non-marriage case where they are REFUSING to take a filing on the basis that the person does not qualify. The last submission included the magic words "If this submission is requested again, we will consider that we have exhausted all our administrative remedies."

I find it strange that CIS refuses to take our money, cuts off the further fee for an administrative appeal and wants us to go to District Court FIRST.
This is way above my head, how did the person not quality for AOS? And if they are denied, i didnt think they could appeal?
Old Jul 10th 2008, 3:36 pm
Account Closed

This is way above my head, how did the person not quality for AOS? And if they are denied, i didnt think they could appeal?
Hi:

There is a GENERAL regulation for CIS which states that an application needs only the proper form, that the form be signed, and that it be accompanied by the correct filing fee. Period, the end.

You do make a valid point though for section 245 Adjustment -- there is no appeal from a denial. However, you have the right to renew it in subsequent removal proceedings, which VWP entrants do not get.

Look, all I am saying, that the case is not 100% clean. Nothing more, nothing less. Also, what has worked in the past does not necessarily mean it will continue to work now or in the future -- it is not unknown for DHS to change its interpretation. And if you say "it ain't fair, you did it that way in the past!" their reaction is "we do not have to perpetuate our mistakes."

It is not uncommon to submit identical applications for various family members -- one gets approved and the other denied. The reaction of the clients often is "We should tell them about the other approval and get them to be consistent!" A good attorney will respond "No way -- that will just get the approval withdrawn."

You are free to do whatever you want. I may be a lawyer, but I am not YOUR lawyer. No individual advice is intended.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 3:47 pm
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute

This is way above my head
Don't worry if this whole thing seems complicated to you - there are people here that help you as much as they can. The important thing for you to do now is book a one-off consultation with an immigration brief ( and don't pay silly money - you can get it either free or for a reasonable cost) and get their advice. IMO truly this needn't be at all complicated based upon what you have told us, and a competent brief will guide you towards the path best suited for your situation.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 4:03 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Songbird
Don't worry if this whole thing seems complicated to you - there are people here that help you as much as they can. The important thing for you to do now is book a one-off consultation with an immigration brief ( and don't pay silly money - you can get it either free or for a reasonable cost) and get their advice. IMO truly this needn't be at all complicated based upon what you have told us, and a competent brief will guide you towards the path best suited for your situation.
Hi:

Just to add -- the rules of what can be discussed for legal persons like myself depending on whether it is a personal and "privileged" consultation in my office as opposed to a very PUBLIC discussion in this forum.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 4:28 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Hi:

Just to add -- the rules of what can be discussed for legal persons like myself depending on whether it is a personal and "privileged" consultation in my office as opposed to a very PUBLIC discussion in this forum.
Translated means what the Lawyer tells you in the comfort of his expensive leather bound office should be kept to yourself..not blurted all over the internet
Old Jul 12th 2008, 2:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Translated means what the Lawyer tells you in the comfort of his expensive leather bound office should be kept to yourself..not blurted all over the internet
And that the lawyer may have something to say in private, that Mr. F cannot in public.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.