Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marriage under the VWP, what will happen?

Wikiposts

Marriage under the VWP, what will happen?

Old Jul 9th 2008, 4:11 pm
Hydey

LoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond reputeLoveConquorsAll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage under the VWP, what will happen?

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Self flagellation ongoing as I type.
I don't understand.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 4:21 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LoveConquorsAll
I don't understand.
Not many do. Luckily, my wife is understanding!

P.S. What our honorable attorney is trying to tell you by his post is that there are additional risks in the method you are taking. He's asking whether you feel lucky.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 9:48 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand.

Ignore them. They are not talking about immigration but have carried your thread off topic.

Make an appointment for a one time consultation with an immigration attorney and get their advice.
Old Jul 9th 2008, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Songbird
same here Also once you had your vacc's ( or got your vac papers sent over from the UK ) the medical ( well if my experience is anything to go by ) is pretty basic. Mine consisted of the doc checking my immunisations record / TB / HIV results , my BP was taken the rest of it was a friendly chat about the UK and how I was enjoying the USA If you want to cut the costs of the medical you can get most of your immunisations re-done at your local public health dept for a nominal cost. Mine also did the HIV / syph test and the TB - I think they were actually free or cheap as After you got them taken care of phone around the list of local civil surgeons ( as stated by USCIS) and get a quote solely for the physical. Overall in total my 'medical' requirements came in at around the $250ish mark - almost half of what I had been getting quoted for the 'all-in' package Prices DO vary so make sure you phone around first and don't take the first one offered Good luck
I got a sealed envelope and a copy too. Took along my vaccination records from the UK and managed to convince them that I'd had chicken pox based on pointing at a non-existent scar on my forehead. They also misread my childhood "triple vaccination" (which was actually for measles, whooping cough and polio I think) as the MMR (which didn't exist when I was a kid). I'd had the rubella one as a teen but never mumps vac (although I did have mumps when I was little) All they gave me was a tetanus jab (which I didn't need but I wasn't going to argue). Remainder of the medical involved looking at my ears and eyes and listening to my chest...not quite sure how from all that they worked out I didn't have the weird variety of STDs that are listed on the form :-D!

Total cost was $195 from memory...HIV and Syphillis tests took about a week to come back and were an extra $30.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 12:30 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
They are not talking about immigration but have carried your thread off topic.
I disagree. The method of presentation may have been unconventional, but since Mr. F. linked to this specific video, then he apparently feels that the OP needs to ask himself a question... does he feel lucky?

Ian
Old Jul 10th 2008, 12:45 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Opinions ... they do vary don't they.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

californian is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rete
Opinions ... they do vary don't they.
Are you suggesting luck has nothing to do with it?
Old Jul 10th 2008, 3:57 am
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by californian
Are you suggesting luck has nothing to do with it?
*IF* the scenario as presented by the OP is correct ( and we have no reason to presume it isn't) then the procedure *should* be relatively straightforward with a few provisos.

1 ) He entered with NO INTENTION to stay or adjust status on the VWP
He is able to marry on the VWP and remain in the USA and AOS or return to the UK and undergo the required process for entry as the spouse of a USC there. Of course if he does AOS in-country then the onus will be on HIM to prove / convince USCIS that he did not abuse the VWP ( ie entered with immigration intent) by proof of his ties to his home country. If they are not convinced then he would be removed ( which also would have consequences for any other future immigration / visits plans) Again based upon the OP's initial post there is no reason to assume that he wouldn't be able to prove his non-immigration intent to USCIS which ultimately is really what matters <---- proviso #1

2 ) His VWP ( 90 days) hasn't expired - so he is not yet an overstayer. Should this expire BEFORE he marries then YES this could well cause complications hence my advice to marry AND if possible get the AOS process underway before that happens. If that is NOT possible then he should be aware that should he come to the attention of ICE ( which can happen via even a routine traffic stop amongst other things) then he would be immediately placed in removal proceedings with no recourse to a court hearing / appeal etc - those rights are waived by VWP users. <-- proviso #2

3 ) If he is unable to marry and initiate the AOS procedure prior to his VWP expiry then this is not a deal-breaker as such as USCIS tends to 'forgive' overstays for spouses of USC's. HOWEVER should his and ICE's paths cross during that time then he WOULD be eligible for immediate removal USC spouse or not. He could also find himself facing a 3 or 10 year ban which would require a waiver to overcome ( a complicated, expensive procedure with no guarantee of success) depending upon the time of his overstay <---- proviso #3

4 ) Until such time as his AOS is complete ( which could be anything from 3 months to XXX months) then he would be advised NOT to leave the USA for ANY REASON. <---- proviso #4

Thats the situation as I understand it . Of course each case is different and ultimately the decision rests with how USCIS interpret it - in that respect then happen an element of 'luck' would feature into the whole scenario ( well it certainly wouldn't go amiss! ) as in VWP - Marriage - in-country AOS they are the ones that make the decision which is unchallengeable.

Bottom line YES it can be done ( and has been done by many, myself included) and when it all goes 'right' then it is relatively straight forward HOWEVER if for some reason it goes wrong then that will have both immediate and long-term immigration consequences for the OP. Thats really his choice to make. He can make that more of an 'informed' choice by a consult with a COMPETENT immigration brief who would be able to cover the pro's and possible cons in much more detail.

Last edited by Songbird; Jul 10th 2008 at 4:03 am.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 4:10 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Songbird
*IF* the scenario as presented by the OP is correct ( and we have no reason to presume it isn't) then the procedure *should* be relatively straightforward with a few provisos.

1 ) He entered with NO INTENTION to stay or adjust status on the VWP
He is able to marry on the VWP and remain in the USA and AOS or return to the UK and undergo the required process for entry as the spouse of a USC there. Of course if he does AOS in-country then the onus will be on HIM to prove / convince USCIS that he did not abuse the VWP ( ie entered with immigration intent) by proof of his ties to his home country. If they are not convinced then he would be removed ( which also would have consequences for any other future immigration / visits plans) Again based upon the OP's initial post there is no reason to assume that he wouldn't be able to prove his non-immigration intent to USCIS which ultimately is really what matters <---- proviso #1

I would like to add I don't seem to of ever seen many if any denials for adjusting
2 ) His VWP ( 90 days) hasn't expired - so he is not yet an overstayer. Should this expire BEFORE he marries then YES this could well cause complications hence my advice to marry AND if possible get the AOS process underway before that happens. If that is NOT possible then he should be aware that should he come to the attention of ICE ( which can happen via even a routine traffic stop amongst other things) then he would be immediately placed in removal proceedings with no recourse to a court hearing / appeal etc - those rights are waived by VWP users. <-- proviso #2

3 ) If he is unable to marry and initiate the AOS procedure prior to his VWP expiry then this is not a deal-breaker as such as USCIS tends to 'forgive' overstays for spouses of USC's. HOWEVER should his and ICE's paths cross during that time then he WOULD be eligible for immediate removal USC spouse or not. He could also find himself facing a 3 or 10 year ban which would require a waiver to overcome ( a complicated, expensive procedure with no guarantee of success) depending upon the time of his overstay <---- proviso #3

4 ) Until such time as his AOS is complete ( which could be anything from 3 months to XXX months) then he would be advised NOT to leave the USA for ANY REASON. <---- proviso #4

Thats the situation as I understand it . Of course each case is different and ultimately the decision rests with how USCIS interpret it - in that respect then happen an element of 'luck' would feature into the whole scenario ( well it certainly wouldn't go amiss! ) as in VWP - Marriage - in-country AOS they are the ones that make the decision which is unchallengeable.

Bottom line YES it can be done ( and has been done by many, myself included) and when it all goes 'right' then it is relatively straight forward HOWEVER if for some reason it goes wrong then that will have both immediate and long-term immigration consequences for the OP. Thats really his choice to make. He can make that more of an 'informed' choice by a consult with a COMPETENT immigration brief who would be able to cover the pro's and possible cons in much more detail.

Totally agree with your thoughts and I might add that I don't remeber many if any folk that have been denied for adjusting on the VWP well not on expats!!
Old Jul 10th 2008, 4:13 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

How did i already break the terms? And what do you mean, if there is something wrong with the truth then tell me now as i do not wish to break the law.

-Simon
You said ...

so the plan was for me to come and accross and look after him....

Could be construed as working as a nurse ...
Old Jul 10th 2008, 4:22 am
Professional Drama Queen

Songbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond reputeSongbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I might add that I don't remeber many if any folk that have been denied for adjusting on the VWP well not on expats!!
me neither - not here nor on another board I'm on. Seems *most* VWP / AOS via marriage adjuster's who are genuine manage it with relatively few problems. It helps knowing the possible problems that *could* occur which is where an initial consult with a brief is valuable - help to guide the OP to avoid any potential problems
Old Jul 10th 2008, 4:54 am
Professional Drama Queen

Originally Posted by Ray
You said ...

so the plan was for me to come and accross and look after him....

Could be construed as working as a nurse ...
Happen you're right it could well be construed that way. I read it to mean that he came to visit his GF and give her and her father what moral and practical support he could. My hubby is quadriplegic and although my caring for him wasn't raised at the AOS interview I was prepared to address that and clear up any possible misunderstandings that may have occurred.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:05 am
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Totally agree with your thoughts and I might add that I don't remeber many if any folk that have been denied for adjusting on the VWP well not on expats!!
Hi:

Your mileage may vary. Also, I have witnessed some tendencies [and based upon discussions at AILA Conference] that might very well lead to bad things happening.

I just tried a case in Alaska involving the K-2 age-out issue and this is an issue that broke out all over the country a few years back for unexplained reasons. The closest I've seen to a reason is that CIS does not consider the statute and case law "persuasive." In one district court case, now on appeal, a District Court judge ruled that since Congress did not issue a specific method of adjustment, it was "reasonable" for CIS to violate an express prohibition.

People exhibit a lot of certainty which IMHO may not be warranted.

I just finished a consultation which involved a recent change in interpretation of 212(a)(9)(C)(i) bar when a CHILD had been illegally in the US and was then carried out of and then back to the USA. This was one of the "hot" issues on inadmissiblity in the panel discussion I participated in [the other three lawyers on the panel with me were from Idaho, Nebraska and Florida]. And this was an issue in which ATTORNEYS all over the country relied on past practice and interpretation. AILA is putting out a "practice advisory" about what is happening.

My post on the "do you feel lucky" was on point [BTW, I did not post the second "do you feel lucky" scene from Dirty Harry. Perhaps I should have.].

Last edited by Folinskyinla; Jul 10th 2008 at 11:09 am.
Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:25 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

So, to recap, before this goes all over the place.

Original Question:Marriage under the VWP, what will happen?
Answer: No one can tell you.

Today, I am feeling for the OP. There's a long line of people asking me for large sums of money today for work that may or may not start in (plus or minus) 6 weeks from plans which have not yet been produced and may or may not pass inspection, allowing the work to even start. And I have to remove and replace a heating oil tank on good faith and hope I am not uncovering a $30K repair.
I feel sick.
I want guarantees too!!!
Old Jul 10th 2008, 11:36 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
So, to recap, before this goes all over the place.

Original Question:Marriage under the VWP, what will happen?
Answer: No one can tell you.

Today, I am feeling for the OP. There's a long line of people asking me for large sums of money today for work that may or may not start in (plus or minus) 6 weeks from plans which have not yet been produced and may or may not pass inspection, allowing the work to even start. And I have to remove and replace a heating oil tank on good faith and hope I am not uncovering a $30K repair.
I feel sick.
I want guarantees too!!!
Despite the Wail-like anecdotes from our incumbent cryptologist, I see nothing to deviate from the Boiler Pronouncement:

You hear of a few VWP->AOS rejections; you hear of a few big Power Ball winners.

I'd bet money on the OP having better chances of completing his quest than you of finding an honest plumber.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.