Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marriage of UK/US citizen to UK citizen with a G4 Visa

Wikiposts

Marriage of UK/US citizen to UK citizen with a G4 Visa

Old Jul 25th 2002, 2:20 am
Keith

Default Marriage of UK/US citizen to UK citizen with a G4 Visa

Hi, I currently live in the US and hold both UK and US citizenship. My girlfriend is
a UK Citizen living (and working) in the US on a G4 visa. We plan on getting married
in the UK in the summer of 2003. (Her G4 visa is valid until Jan 2004). What are the
proceudres for returning to the US after the Wedding? Will there be any issues?

If anyone could take a moment to either answer or point me in the right direction I
would be very grateful

Thank you, Keith

Mrtravel

Default Re: Marriage of UK/US citizen to UK citizen with a G4 Visa

Keith wrote:
    >
    > Hi, I currently live in the US and hold both UK and US citizenship. My girlfriend
    > is a UK Citizen living (and working) in the US on a G4 visa. We plan on getting
    > married in the UK in the summer of 2003. (Her G4 visa is valid until Jan 2004).
    > What are the proceudres for returning to the US after the Wedding? Will there be
    > any issues?
    >

There will be no difference in returning to the US as her INS status hasn't changed,
she would still be a a G4 visa holder. Does she have the G-4 on her own, or is it as
the family member of a G-4 holder? As long as she is still qualified for the G4, then
there shouldn't be a problem. However, at some point, she will have to adjust status.
You do this by filing I-130 and I-485, and accompanying forms.

If she obtained G-4 status as the child of a G-4 holder, then she would no longer be
eligible on marriage and would need some other visa (or waiver) to get back into the
US. In your case, that might be tricky. Since you are getting married in the UK, then
a fiance visa is out. Normally, she would need a spousal visa, but that will take
some time after getting married. She might try entering on a tourist visa or waiver,
but since she is coming to the US to live with her husband, that wouldn't be a
legally valid method. She should NOT use the G-4 to get back into the US if she is no
longer G-4 qualified at the time.

Matta Harri

Default Re: Marriage of UK/US citizen to UK citizen with a G4 Visa

In article <[email protected]>,
mrtravel <[email protected]> wrote:
    > There will be no difference in returning to the US as her INS status hasn't
    > changed, she would still be a a G4 visa holder. Does she have the G-4 on her
    > own, or is it as the family member of a G-4 holder? As long as she is still
    > qualified for the G4, then there shouldn't be a problem. However, at some point,
    > she will have to adjust status. You do this by filing I-130 and I-485, and
    > accompanying forms.
    >
    > If she obtained G-4 status as the child of a G-4 holder, then she would no longer
    > be eligible on marriage and would need some other visa (or waiver) to get back into
    > the US. In your case, that might be tricky. Since you are getting married in the
    > UK, then a fiance visa is out. Normally, she would need a spousal visa, but that
    > will take some time after getting married. She might try entering on a tourist visa
    > or waiver, but since she is coming to the US to live with her husband, that
    > wouldn't be a legally valid method. She should NOT use the G-4 to get back into the
    > US if she is no longer G-4 qualified at the time.

I agree. IF she was the PRIMARY recipient of the G4, then technically she is dual
intent, and as such should be able to re-enter the US and then file adjustment of
status. See this page: http://www.murthy.com/ukrestui.html However, you would
probably get more peace of mind by confirming this with an attorney. matta