Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

Marriage on a Tourist Visa

Wikiposts

Marriage on a Tourist Visa

Old Jan 12th 2002, 9:49 am
H.

I'm German and got married to my American fiance while staying here on a tourist
visa. I want to stay in the US now to live with him. I know all the procedures
(filing I-130 and stuuf) but has somebody actual experiences on what to expect with
the Nebraska office? Can they send me home and reject my petion? Has that happened to
anyone? I would apreciate if I get replies to ease my worries.

Old Jan 12th 2002, 10:01 am
Onigiri

>
    >
    >
    >
You expect NOTHING from the Nebraska Office, because you will be filing forms with
the LOCAL INS office whereever you live. Post what you know about all the procedures
and someone will respond whether you do or not.

>
would
    >
The questions above shows that you do not know the procedures. Unless you have a
communicable medical problem, a criminal history and a police record, you will not
have a problem. Go to: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm

Old Jan 12th 2002, 10:38 am
Lucinda

I have no direct experience of this but I have read of people getting the third
degree. Basically the INS want you to prove that you did not plan the wedding from
outside the US and that your marriage was all thought about and done whilst you were
in the US. If the marriage was planned from Germany, you should have applied for a K1
visa. They may question you about that.

Ronnie

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 12th 2002, 10:51 am
Onigiri

>
    >
the
    >
and
    >
    >
This is not the case with almost all of the of tourist visa arrivals who marry and
adjust status. Those who have communicable diseases, those who have illegal drug
convictions or other convictions for which they have a police record or they have a
previous history with INS that involve fraud will have trouble no matter which way (
tourist or K-1 or dcf). And these are the petitioners who have received denials from
INS or consulate which lead into long periods of wait and more paperwork; never the
3rd degree for anyone. The german visitor will do herself, all others who are in the
queue for immigration benefits, the INS-Consulate bureaucracy ( and the American Tax
payer) a big favour by adjusting while she is here and not returning home and have
her usc husband filing I-130 and cause a greater cost for everybody I lised as I
began this sentence.

[usenetquote2]> > I'm German and got married to my American fiance while staying here on a tourist[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > visa. I want to stay in the US now to live with him. I know all the procedures[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > (filing I-130 and stuuf) but has somebody actual experiences on what to expect[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > with the Nebraska office? Can they send me home and reject my petion? Has that[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > happened to anyone? I would apreciate if I get replies to ease my worries.[/usenetquote2]

Old Jan 12th 2002, 2:17 pm
Sara

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

THe first thing you can expect is a long waiting time. I filed the I-130 etc back in
the beginning of August and I'm just in the waiting game now. If you can file in
person they'll give you the EAD on the same day. At least they did when I filed.

They cannot send you home and reject the petition on the same day you file it (If
that's what you're asking)

Welcome to the wonderful world of waiting for Nebraska

Sara

PS WHich state are you in?

Old Jan 12th 2002, 11:02 pm
Alvena Ferreira

"H." wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Be sure you file with the local district INS office for your area, not the service
center. If you married more than 60 days after your arrival on a B1/B2, the chances
for being viewed as fraudulent are slim, providing you can provide proof of the bona
fide nature of your relationship. If you entered on visa waiver, the 60 days does not
apply to you. See the "tourist adjustment" link on doc steen site for more info on
marriage on tourist visa. Alvena
-----------------------
Doc Steen Site: http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm
=========================================
I am not a lawyer and this is not immigration advice. This is my personal opinion,
posted for the purpose of discussion only. Locate an immigration attorney in your
area at: http://www.aila.org
=========================================