Wikiposts

marriage on TN

Old Aug 13th 2009, 1:54 am
London Canada to Atlanta

country_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond reputecountry_canuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: marriage on TN

I had three TN Visas before marrying a USC and attempting AOS. On each of those interviews I was grilled on my residency in Canada (and had to provide proof that I had a residence and a job to return to at the end of the 1 year TN period) and whether I intended to return to Canada when my TN expired. I was even asked on my third if I was dating any USCs. At the time I was not. I think on visa 2 and 3 they even asked directly if I had immigrant intent.

As I understood it, you cannot have immigrant intent when being issued a TN. They expected you to go home at the end of the visa and if there was any suspicion of intent to stay, no visa for you!

I also understood that you could not apply for a TN (or any other type of visa) if you had an AOS in the system already.

I would suspect this is true also if you have a fiancee visa in the works, that you would be denied a TN.

If your intent is to marry while in the USA (which is obvious from your post) while on a TN Visa, and STAY to adjust status (which is not obvious from your post), you may wish to think this over.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 3:21 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: marriage on TN

Thank you, CC. Always good to hear the horse's neigh

Originally Posted by country_canuck
I had three TN Visas before marrying a USC and attempting AOS. On each of those interviews I was grilled on my residency in Canada (and had to provide proof that I had a residence and a job to return to at the end of the 1 year TN period) and whether I intended to return to Canada when my TN expired. I was even asked on my third if I was dating any USCs. At the time I was not. I think on visa 2 and 3 they even asked directly if I had immigrant intent.

As I understood it, you cannot have immigrant intent when being issued a TN. They expected you to go home at the end of the visa and if there was any suspicion of intent to stay, no visa for you!

I also understood that you could not apply for a TN (or any other type of visa) if you had an AOS in the system already.

I would suspect this is true also if you have a fiancee visa in the works, that you would be denied a TN.

If your intent is to marry while in the USA (which is obvious from your post) while on a TN Visa, and STAY to adjust status (which is not obvious from your post), you may wish to think this over.