Reload this Page >

Marriage - Seeking experienced immigration lawyer in San Francisco

Wikiposts

Marriage - Seeking experienced immigration lawyer in San Francisco

Old Jul 17th 2002, 10:20 am
Matt

Default Marriage - Seeking experienced immigration lawyer in San Francisco

Hello -

I am looking for a good local immigration lawyer - experienced in family immigration
law - for a German friend (he's in the US on a H1B) who just married a US citizen and
needs to file papers for Adjustment of Status in San Francisco.

Thanks for your help in advance!

Matt

Old Jul 17th 2002, 5:20 pm
Paul Helpdesk

Default Re: Marriage - Seeking experienced immigration lawyer in San Francisco

Matt,

Where is he located? Actually location would not matter for regular cases unless
there are situations that require personal attendance by the attorney in the courts.

Check out:

http://www.visapro.com/Green-Card-Fa...US-Citizen.asp
http://www.isso.cornell.edu/immigration/marryusc.html

Paul @ HelpDesk

Old Jul 17th 2002, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Maggie is an unknown quantity at this point

Matt,
Email me at [email protected]. I can refer him to my attorney (local) depending on whether he wants to file in San Jose or San Francisco.
Old Jul 18th 2002, 7:20 am
Mdudall

San Francisco is a wonderful INS office to deal with. They are very efficient, and
considered by many attorneys I know (and also by me) as being a "warm and friendly"
INS office. Heck, this is liberal San Francisco after all (and there is nothing wrong
with that).

I started my immigration practice in San Francisco in 1996, and practiced there until
my wife and I moved to Southern California in September 1999. I still have many cases
pending at that office, and I've filed quite a few cases at that office since my
move. Officer Bell can be tough but fair, and officer Houston is the same. Officer
Barrett really knows the law and can be a stickler, however she does not go out of
her way to be difficult and can actually be very friendly. Officer Tan is a genuinely
nice guy, always smiling and laughing during the interviews. The "No Lady" is a
nightmare. I started calling her that after attending a spousal interview with her a
few years ago. She had her computer screen positioned on her back desk in such a way
that the clients and I could easily see it. For her screen saver, she had a blank
black screen, with huge font type (around 72), bold, capitalized, purple "NO NO NO"
floating across her screen. But even the No lady approved the case . I don't know
every single INS officer working at the S.F. office, and I'm sure they have brought
in some new ones since my move.

Thomas Schiltgen used to run that office. He did a fantastic job, as reflected by the
efficiency and speed in which they handled cases. I've met him, and he's a very sharp
guy. Around the time that I moved in September 99, Mr. Schiltgen was reassigned to
take over the floundering L.A. INS office. Before he took over L.A., L.A. was taking
around 3 years for the AOS interview, but since he's taken over interviews are only
taking about a year now.

Sure, L.A. probably has a lot more cases to deal with, the building is much larger
(last time I was there for an interview, they conducted around 700 interviews that
day), they have 4 different huge rooms where they conduct AOS interviews (as opposed
to S.F.'s two small rooms), and they do make mistakes. But I'm still under the
impression that L.A. has benefited from him being at the helm.

Charles H. DeMore took over the S.F. office when Mr. Schiltgen left, and apparently
he's doing a good job as they are still at the same speed as when he took over.

I know a very good immigration attorney in S.F. that I can refer to your friend if
you want. I used to work for her when I was first getting started, and she's also an
AILA member. Have your friend give me a call [(626) 229-9799] and I'll be happy to
give him her name and number.

Regards, Matthew Udall Attorney