Wikiposts

marriage to PR

Old Dec 11th 2001, 5:08 am
Slhk77

I married someone who is a permanent resident and I filed I130 in september. I
currently have an EAD for optional practical training which is valid for 1 year. But
I haven't been able to find a job yet and it's been 5 months. After my EAD expires
and if I still don't have a job, I will be out of status. I want to continue to stay
in the US though. Will I be in any trouble?

Old Dec 11th 2001, 6:05 am
Sylvia Ottemoeller

SLHK77 wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

Well, if you are not able to change to any other legal temporary status, you may get
away with it, and not get arrested or deported by INS while you are waiting for your
PR spouse to become a U.S. citizen, at which point you can file Form I-485, and get
legal status, probably.

And if your PR spouse does not become a U.S. citizen, your wait to file Form I-485
may extend to 5, 6, or 7 years or even more. The family-based categories have hardly
been moving forward at all.

However, you should be aware that after you have violated your status (by overstaying
your approved) stay), you will be living in the shadows. You will be deportable. You
will not be able to work legally. You will not be able to visit your family in your
home country, and get back into the U.S. It will not be fun.

You might consider transferring to another F-1 degree program, and keep on going to
school. Who knows, you could end up with a string of degrees, master's, Ph.D., etc.