Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > Marriage Based Visas
Reload this Page >

marriage to an overstayed brit

marriage to an overstayed brit

Old Jan 17th 2003, 7:37 pm
Just Joined
Thread Starter
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 1
jelly like is an unknown quantity at this point
Default marriage to an overstayed brit

I currently live with my boyfriend who is British, excuse me English, and has over stayed a visa waiver by over 2 years. We've been seeing each other for a year and a half and we're thinking about marriage. The thing is...can we get married here and then proceed with the legal side? Or does he have to leave the country and petition etc?
I feel that if he leaves now - he won't be able to get back in -and that we'll be in a worse situation. We want to stay here rather than move to Europe.
Any advice?

Last edited by jelly like; Jan 17th 2003 at 7:39 pm.
jelly like is offline  
Old Jan 17th 2003, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast
Joined: Sep 2002
Location: UK
Posts: 352
mrsstrickland is an unknown quantity at this point

you can proceed and get married, the only problems is, he cannot leave the US, or it would result in a 10 yr ban, if he stays in the US and you get married you have to adjust his status and face anything else that comes along, maybe someone with legal expertise or knowledge can help you a little bit more
mrsstrickland is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.